2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Time to sleep in....yay!
Ya no doubt!
I've seen your rig, you have been a real busy boy,
not sure I would want to run that many lines day in and day out.
thats a work out and a half for sure.
Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be out there with some regularity. I love winter fishing, and the prawning usually makes it worthwhile on any trip, even if the fishing is slow.

I'll be out there with some regularity. I love winter fishing, and the prawning usually makes it worthwhile on any trip, even if the fishing is slow.

Was out for 5 hours trolling yesterday afternoon, already lots of good bait around in English Bay around the freighters and out deep.However, no legal fish on my boat yesterday, a few shakers and that was it. Had one good strike that may have been something decent but likely just a hard hitting undersize. That was on a small 2 3/4" Gypsy Punk Skunk on a 6 foot leader behind a Red Hot Spot flasher. Another boat reported seeing several nice Chums lob off Atkinson.

A few people still fishing the Cap mouth but we hit the water at 11 so I passed on by.

Looking for some tips for winter fishing this year. I'll be launching out of Gibsons. Any advice is always appreciated.

Cheers

coholips

wrap up warm
fish hard and deep
and keep it on 88a
last but not least may see you out there

tight lines

Looking for some tips for winter fishing this year. I'll be launching out of Gibsons. Any advice is always appreciated.

Cheers

All along that northwest side of Bowen and close to reef at Hut .... like he said , bounceing bottom always.... and have a couple grams of lead ready for hungry seals.

Not a whole lot going on locally as of yet. Some of the regulars are finding the ODD one. It'll be a while before the effort justifies the rewards.

Trolled for a few hours Saturday a.m. while the prawn traps were soaking. Fished between the QB Marker and the freighters and marked a fair bit of bait but only hit two shakers. Did get to try out two fall additions for the boat though - hands free modification for the Ace Prawn Puller and a heater - both are going to make it much more enjoyable being out on the water this winter.

Trolled for a few hours Saturday a.m. while the prawn traps were soaking. Fished between the QB Marker and the freighters and marked a fair bit of bait but only hit two shakers. Did get to try out two fall additions for the boat though - hands free modification for the Ace Prawn Puller and a heater - both are going to make it much more enjoyable being out on the water this winter.

Is the hands free worth it Teja?

How was the prawning for you? prawns per trap?

Approx. 180 prawns total for the 4 traps over 3 hours. Not great but not terrible ... the traps did better than the salmon fisherman.

Not bad considering the bottom has been fished hard with draggers and more prawners than ever before in Vancouver waters....

Back