2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

And don't worry about brining chovys and herring together, it's all good!
-about to head out and fish delta port/sand heads, report to follow.

Tul, i reuse my chovies till a slab sucks them down their throat. After each trip now, i put them back into a plastic container full of rock salt and cover them in salt. Then into freezer when i get home. Obviously if they're falling apart they get chucked. I'd say ive increased the life span of my chovies by 50 percent following this method. The salt cures them. Makes them very tough, but, they soften once in the water. Other people follow other methods. I was taught this process by Spanish fisherman who've done it for centuries. Works for me.

Yes, this is this ticket. After "wet" brining them I re-package them with a thin sprinkling of coarse (pickling, non-iodised) salt on top. That keeps them dry and that way they can be thawed and re-frozen any number of times. This bait is too expensive for me to throw it back in the ocean!!:D

Thanks guys. I'm heading out Saturday again. Hopefully I can hook in to something. My last 3 times out I've been skunked. I put over 17 hours in this last weekend and had 1 fish on for a few minutes, and that's it. Not even another bite. Yet I saw some fish being caught around me. Not many, but they were being caught. I was asking guys around me what they were doing. I was doing the same. Herring/no flasher right off the bottom. Anchovie w/flasher on the opther side.

Chartreuse~glo flasher/chartreuse teaser head is what produces well here year round.

Years past red teaser heads were the hot colour maybe worth a look?

I was using a red herring teaser head. Also using a Oki UV jellyfish flasher or a Gold Betsy flasher with multiple different anchovie teaser heads. Chrome, army truck, Glo white with a little red on it, green glo.... I tried them all. I'll try them all again this weekend. Hopefully there is still some fish out there.

Thanks guys. I'm heading out Saturday again. Hopefully I can hook in to something. My last 3 times out I've been skunked. I put over 17 hours in this last weekend and had 1 fish on for a few minutes, and that's it. Not even another bite. Yet I saw some fish being caught around me. Not many, but they were being caught. I was asking guys around me what they were doing. I was doing the same. Herring/no flasher right off the bottom. Anchovie w/flasher on the opther side.

This weekend was really slow. I spent a good 15-20 hours out there from Wednesday to Sunday as well. Wednesday I had 4 fish on in the first hour I was there. Friday, not a bite in 3 hours running exactly the same gear and same location. Sunday, same gear, it took 8 hours to get one fish. With this fishery you need the right gear at the right depth exactly when the fish are biting. Throw in some luck and then you will get fish at the cap this year. lol

Just because you see a few other hook ups doesn't mean the fishing is hot. When there are 50 boats fishing and 5 or 6 fish get landed on a bite that's pretty slow in my opinion.

With this fishery you need the right gear at the right depth exactly when the fish are biting. Throw in some luck and then you will get fish at the cap this year.

I couldn't agree more with you. We have had much better success this fall than the last two falls at the Cap, which I think may run a bit against the trend, and I attribute it 95% to luck of the right time/right depth/right gear variety and 5% to the combination of making sure we only fish well brined anchovies that appear to be rolling correctly in the water (I was a little lazy in the past and this year I have gone thru a lot of anchovies) and moving the downrigger up and down in the very bottom 2 feet of the water ... close to half the fish we have caught over the past 6 weeks have come either on the 2 foot drop of the downrigger or on the inside downrigger on a turn as the line starts to slow down and drop.

p.s. The only guarantee though is that next year none of the above will work.

I've been running my bottom line about 5-10 feet off the bottom. I'll drop it down to 2 feet off the bottom and see if that works better. I'll get on the downrigger a bit more and move it around in the bottom couple of feet and make sure it stays there. It's tough to do when it's just me in the boat, running 2 rods, and trying to not to hit any of the floatilla out there. Hopefully I can get a buddy to come out with me on Saturday. Makes working the lines a little easier.

View attachment 5060ran in the fog from cates park to the cap, cant wait to get a boat with radar.
fished 8 - 2 caught 4 springs released one undersized 11- 15 lbs. all fish 90' red hot spot flasher and a gold green anchovey bullet head

Good stuff Crow !!! What time(s) did you catch your fish ? I'm going out tomorrow morning at first light. Also, how many boats were there today ?

View attachment 5060ran in the fog from cates park to the cap, cant wait to get a boat with radar.
fished 8 - 2 caught 4 springs released one undersized 11- 15 lbs. all fish 90' red hot spot flasher and a gold green anchovey bullet head

Nice report there Crow. Bring some of that luck to the Chum derby.

Gold teaser head and betsy workin for me... Finally!!!

They were caught at 8, 8:30, 10, and 1. We did not go more than 1/2 hour without seeing a boat playing a fish. Good luck tomorrow Nooky

They were caught at 8, 8:30, 10, and 1. We did not go more than 1/2 hour without seeing a boat playing a fish. Good luck tomorrow Nooky

Thanks Crow, much appreciated. It's nice to see your fish are a nice bright chrome. It looks as if a new wave of fish has arrived this past week at the cap.

With the number of boats at the mouth of the Cap, is there any fish to the west towards the lighthouse?
I really am not too comfortable with my 29' there amongst the gong show.

Back