2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

wind warning kept me off the ocean today, casted some spinners at my childhood fishing hole.
chinook.jpg

Way to go Canso and don't tell these guys where you got it. (you can p.m. me) :p

I was out yesterday fished from about 6:30am until around 1:00pm, caught a good sized dogfish and sea cucumber. Had a small coho on infront of the pink appartments but it spit the hook before we could get it to the boat. Vey slow out there, I was fishing anchovy in army truck and chrome teaser heads with green flashers as close to the bottom as I could get. Only saw one fish boated and it was a small one. Any body have some tips as to when the fish might show up or what I should be doing diffrently to hook up more often?

Thanks for the report Cpt. if I still end up by the cap Wednesday ill let you know how it goes. Might try sand heads instead. Have been meaning to go check out Lily Pt. as well, ran into some kids a few weeks ago at boat launch that we're hammering the ho's in tight at lily on pink/white buzz bombs.

Also CPT, Im guessing you just missed the high slack out there at the cap, I've always had most success on the floods.

For late Sept it is normally much better in the hook/catch dept. however the sunny dry weather we had all September was worth it IMHO ! Yesterday afternoon seemed pretty slow overall however the trip was enjoyable to the max......calm, nice weather. Cast various lures for 45 min then switched to trolling three hours yesterday afternoon/eve with bro-in law, sis and kids and my daughter .....lost a strong fish and boxed this high teen white female..... it can't always be gangbusters out there so you just BS over a drink or two and lots of food!!

IMG_2467manipres.jpg IMG_2451manipres.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How about some details like place, dept , gear and that kind of stuff
PS nice fish and great to see the crew is all smiles LOL !
By the looks of it he was fishin the cap-pink hotel. Try running your gear close to the bottom. Also work those floods! I'll let you know how we do Wednesday!

By the looks of it he was fishin the cap-pink hotel. Try running your gear close to the bottom. Also work those floods! I'll let you know how we do Wednesday!
Yeah I assumed the photo location was obvious ....so then you already know the 'program' !

Yeah I assumed the photo location was obvious ....so then you already know the 'program' !

O sorry peahead, I should have known you used a speckeled 5 dimond hook with a glow pink flasher, on a 15 inch leader , on a fast troll of 18 knots , geeees what was I thinking about ..... sorry buddy !

O sorry peahead, I should have known you used a speckeled 5 dimond hook with a glow pink flasher, on a 15 inch leader , on a fast troll of 18 knots , geeees what was I thinking about ..... sorry buddy !

Hey sir-v, I'm not sure about everyone else but I've always had a bit of luck running green/glow coyote spoon (3.0-3.5) on a leader roughly my arm span(6ft roughly) behind a green flasher. Cop cars also seem to do alright. I also try and run around 1.5-2.5 knots depending on the currents. Keep an eye on that rigger line and the "angle of the dangle". You don't want it 45 degrees behind boat but conversely if it's sitting straight up and down your not going to get enough action. I'm sure your on top of most of this and if so, sorry for boring you.
Good luck out there! I'm going wednesday morning to work the flood. I'll let ya know!

O sorry peahead, I should have known you used a speckeled 5 dimond hook with a glow pink flasher, on a 15 inch leader , on a fast troll of 18 knots , geeees what was I thinking about ..... sorry buddy ![/QUOTE

PM sent

Many of you may not want them but they are great on the smoker has anyone ever had any luck catching chum in the salt. West coast sure but what about around here? North or south arm??? What do they bite, or are they just dedicated to getting to the spawning grounds?

we were out yesterday from about 1-7 and after 5 min a 5lb spring hit. then a coho and then another coho after about 90 min in the water unfortunately wild ones. then around 4 we got our hatchery coho. while we were making a turn just after the coho(didnt even get the other line in yet) and a nice 10lb wild coho hit.got that one released and the other rod went just dropped it but it was on and off. a couple more hits and it was dead from 5-7. great day fishing after a half day of work in the morning. all on anchovy at about 17 ft by the pinks with chrome and army truck teaser headcoho 001.jpg

hey scotty, i saw the predator(charter boat i think) get a nice 20lb chum casting by the pink apt and we got a 15lb chum by them the same day while we were fighting a nice coho and we were in neutral. the rod hit hard and had a descent fight with him. landed him then released him. there is quite a few of them out there jumping around. that was last tuesday.

Many of you may not want them but they are great on the smoker has anyone ever had any luck catching chum in the salt. West coast sure but what about around here? North or south arm??? What do they bite, or are they just dedicated to getting to the spawning grounds?

Great reports guys.
Hey Hip NEVER get bored of good reports , some time a guy needs a refresher inorder not to get rusty and with my results locally this season (except WCVI ) , I am feeling rusted out.
Boats dry docked for awhile, some dickhead at the marina bent my kicker and didn't even leave a note, Bonehead
Good Luck to all you winter fisherpersons and keep safe

Hey Chris, if you don't mind me asking what flasher where you using? We saw a bunch of fish jumping on saturday but I thought they where coho, I guess if they where chum I should have slowed way down to try and catch one! I have never had a chum on the line before.

Great reports guys.
Hey Hip NEVER get bored of good reports , some time a guy needs a refresher inorder not to get rusty and with my results locally this season (except WCVI ) , I am feeling rusted out.
Boats dry docked for awhile, some dickhead at the marina bent my kicker and didn't even leave a note, Bonehead
Good Luck to all you winter fisherpersons and keep safe

I feel you on that one. After spending most of the summer fishing Haida Gwai and 1 trip to Ukee it certainly can become frustrating around here! Weathers looking better for tomorrow morning, hopefully it produces something!

Back