2010 Halibut Catch Recommendations

if that much quota was 'left in the water' does that not suggest that excess quota was not there to catch in the first place?

would seem that an alternative hypothesis is that estimating halibut stocks, no matter how hard they try, is as difficult as estimating salmon stocks.

OHHH nooooo it was there to catch what happened was the price fell out and there was toooo much in the freezers cause at the beginning it (the price) was high and they all wanted to fish then the market got flooded to much halibut,supply and demand and then to make it worse they had and the beginning of the next year close to 500,000 lbs STILL in the freezer so they had to wait till it got depleted.

This whole things AGAIN is not about conservation its about allocation.

There is going to be a meeting in early janurary some time and I emplore you ALL on here come to the meeting to get informed and LISTEN very carefully to what the speakers have to say!!!!
if you dont go then dont ***** about what is going to happen because you have been forewarned it could become VERY VERY BAD.
We all need to work together as sporties and come together as one unit or this will be a quick end

Wolf

OHHH nooooo it was there to catch what happened was the price fell out and there was toooo much in the freezers cause at the beginning it (the price) was high and they all wanted to fish then the market got flooded to much halibut,supply and demand and then to make it worse they had and the beginning of the next year close to 500,000 lbs STILL in the freezer so they had to wait till it got depleted.

This whole things AGAIN is not about conservation its about allocation.

There is going to be a meeting in early janurary some time and I emplore you ALL on here come to the meeting to get informed and LISTEN very carefully to what the speakers have to say!!!!
if you dont go then dont ***** about what is going to happen because you have been forewarned it could become VERY VERY BAD.
We all need to work together as sporties and come together as one unit or this will be a quick end

Wolf

Well its happening again ,well meaning people making uneducated statements. The commercial carry over cannot exceed 10%.

"Who would have ever thought it would be this much fun catching them one at a time"

Well its happening again ,well meaning people making uneducated statements. The commercial carry over cannot exceed 10%.

"Who would have ever thought it would be this much fun catching them one at a time"

I diddnt know the figure but thanks for that but what a great concept for those guys no one else can take last years fish the next year.
Back when they did this thing(88/12) problem is no one could predict that halibut fishing was going to get so popular but now we are the ones going to suffer quite a shame as the have the numbers but dont follow them:(:(:(

Wolf

I diddnt know the figure but thanks for that but what a great concept for those guys no one else can take last years fish the next year.
Back when they did this thing(88/12) problem is no one could predict that halibut fishing was going to get so popular but now we are the ones going to suffer quite a shame as the have the numbers but dont follow them:(:(:(

Wolf

In the grand scheme of things the carry over doesn't affect anything .If it was a big conservation issue then the IPHC wouldn't let them do it. As I said before right or wrong 88/12 is not going to change. The year the sports were under there TAC they decided to lease the overage to the commercial fleet. At that time I hinted to the sports powers that be that if they do that they are going to set a bad precident that may come back to bite then in the butt. All they saw was the money for the future fight. Now the commercial are willing to sell the sports community some of there 88% which is what they wanted to accomplish in the first place.(it makes quota more valuble ,especially on a declining TAC). Unfortunatly there is no mechanism in government to accomplish that YET. 88/12 was acceptable in the beginning, it doesn't work now but if you think the government is going to take it away from the commercials and GIFT it to the sports fleet because you feel that it is a public resource I'm sorry to say but its just NOT going to happen.

In the grand scheme of things the carry over doesn't affect anything .If it was a big conservation issue then the IPHC wouldn't let them do it. As I said before right or wrong 88/12 is not going to change. The year the sports were under there TAC they decided to lease the overage to the commercial fleet. At that time I hinted to the sports powers that be that if they do that they are going to set a bad precident that may come back to bite then in the butt. All they saw was the money for the future fight. Now the commercial are willing to sell the sports community some of there 88% which is what they wanted to accomplish in the first place.(it makes quota more valuble ,especially on a declining TAC). Unfortunatly there is no mechanism in government to accomplish that YET. 88/12 was acceptable in the beginning, it doesn't work now but if you think the government is going to take it away from the commercials and GIFT it to the sports fleet because you feel that it is a public resource I'm sorry to say but its just NOT going to happen.

you are right bogman/ed the commies can only carry over 10% from year to year and that was agreed to by the IPHC. The reason the rec sector has not been able to do this is because there is no faith in the catch numbers put forward from dfo. That being said I was told by one of the HAB members that the sports sector leased 27,000 more than they used last year and there is a push from the commies to let that be carried forward. the 27,000lbs plus what can be leased with the $400g left in the bank will help to extend the season.

Wolf no disrespect but this is a conservation issue. The Tac for both countries is down 50% over 5years and everybody is feeling the pain. Yes the 88/12 is not helping but I agree with bog that it will be very difficult to change. Also if the 88/12 was changed I would assume the sports lobby would immediatly push for higher catch rates and we will be right back here again. Yes there is going to be fall out from the decreased tac in all sectors. Yes the commies have shrunk from 400 active boats to 183 BECAUSE the tac has dropped and I will guess the lodge and charter group will be doing the same. It would be great if there was enough fish out there to continue status quo but that is not the case. Welcome to a limited resource base industy..

you are right bogman/ed the commies can only carry over 10% from year to year and that was agreed to by the IPHC. The reason the rec sector has not been able to do this is because there is no faith in the catch numbers put forward from dfo. That being said I was told by one of the HAB members that the sports sector leased 27,000 more than they used last year and there is a push from the commies to let that be carried forward. the 27,000lbs plus what can be leased with the $400g left in the bank will help to extend the season.

Wolf no disrespect but this is a conservation issue. The Tac for both countries is down 50% over 5years and everybody is feeling the pain. Yes the 88/12 is not helping but I agree with bog that it will be very difficult to change. Also if the 88/12 was changed I would assume the sports lobby would immediatly push for higher catch rates and we will be right back here again. Yes there is going to be fall out from the decreased tac in all sectors. Yes the commies have shrunk from 400 active boats to 183 BECAUSE the tac has dropped and I will guess the lodge and charter group will be doing the same. It would be great if there was enough fish out there to continue status quo but that is not the case. Welcome to a limited resource base industy..

The commercial sector was given the GIFT at the rec sectors expense. If the commercial guys aren't going to catch and sell 10% of their TAC it should go to someone who will use it. If it will allow the rec sector to conduct a full season and benefit tourism throughout the entire province it should transfer over. Why should one group leave fish on the table and in the process cause another group financial harm. Dumb!!

The commercial sector was given the GIFT at the rec sectors expense. If the commercial guys aren't going to catch and sell 10% of their TAC it should go to someone who will use it. If it will allow the rec sector to conduct a full season and benefit tourism throughout the entire province it should transfer over. Why should one group leave fish on the table and in the process cause another group financial harm. Dumb!!

quote:Originally posted by profisher

There was far less than that left in the water this year. From what I gather what was left was PICFI fish that was left in the water by DFO.

Also at the time it was not an expense to the sports sector because we were only catching 9%. The additional 3% was a "GIFT" that the sports sector was more than willing to lease out when it suited them

quote:Originally posted by profisher

There was far less than that left in the water this year. From what I gather what was left was PICFI fish that was left in the water by DFO.

Also at the time it was not an expense to the sports sector because we were only catching 9%. The additional 3% was a "GIFT" that the sports sector was more than willing to lease out when it suited them

So Fisher69 ,you seem to know who I am ,do I know you?

So Fisher69 ,you seem to know who I am ,do I know you?

For once im on rollies side on this issue as i stated before its not a conservation issue and ill stand by that, the amount of moneies generated by sport fishing is leaps and bounds compared to what commercial brings to our province and dfo knows this and they turn a blind eye to it .... what a shame.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

For once im on rollies side on this issue as i stated before its not a conservation issue and ill stand by that, the amount of moneies generated by sport fishing is leaps and bounds compared to what commercial brings to our province and dfo knows this and they turn a blind eye to it .... what a shame.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Bog: To imply that our government won't - "...never going to happen." -
reverse a decision made in favor of one user group at the expense of others is simply wrong and rather defeatist in my view.

Historically, government's have bent to the winds of public opinion and successful court-challenges. Us hali-sportie's, although a small group, have been jewed long enough on our rightful piece of the pie here. The bottom-line is that it IS a public resource belonging to ALL CANADIANS and NO GOVERNMENT has or ever had the right to bequeath the majority of these fish to ANY select group. The 'sporties' are indeed being discriminated against here.</u>

This fact would soon become evident and reversed in a court of law.

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

Back