2010 Halibut Catch Recommendations

It's about allocation, not conservation...
sport fisherman simply want a little bigger piece of the pie
that is divided quite amply in the commercial fisher's
corner.

shoulder seasons whats that it depends where you fish.For the guy fishing the southern ares 19-20 your shoulder season is there make it or break it time mar thru end of may and then again sep and oct.Why should they loes out?Don't think there's not many boats fishing hally down here during that time there's just as many as the offshore banks in the summer months.

quote:Originally posted by searun

Sorry, but I think we have to acknowledge this is a conservation issue</u>. I cannot see how we in the Rec sector can stand here with all the published data clearly demonstrating the biomass is declining and still kid ourselves there isn't a conservation concern. Less isn't more, or at least it wasn't when I attended University sitting through those exciting [xx(] Statistical Analysis courses.

Its sounding a little self serving to argue that we deserve a larger share of the TAC at the expense of other users. I'm a charter operator and for the future of our fishery, I cannot support either side </u>in this continuing to catch the same number of fish when the biomass is in decline. Our mutual future (Commercial and Recreational) depends on enough fish successfully spawning to increase the population.

I mean no disrespect to guys trying to run a business and protect their interests and that of their customers, but I believe more strongly that we also have a duty </u>to future generations of anglers to do the right thing in the long term and not sacrifice that for short term interest.

So with that, in a spirit of conservation, please consider finding options that would allow the greatest conservation benefit for future generations, while preserving the best angling opportunity for the majority of all recreational anglers and not just a few trying to continue shoulder season fishing. In a perfect world we could keep everyone happy, but this isn't a perfect situation we face and one that calls for some sacrifice for the greatest possible benefit.

I'll sit back now and wait for the beatings to begin...give me your best shot. [B)]

Searun

I'll start.... excellent post.

If there is no conservation issue....WHY DOES THE OVERALL TAC CONTINUE DOWNWARDS?

lots of good solutions on this chain, but it is hard to demand chages while the sports (me) don't even have to record coho on the appropiate license which I believe is more critical than an annual allownce of halibut. We are told every year that there is no concerns about the quanity of the halibut stocks that is available (IHPC Biomass survey).I beleive (as any negotians)that nothing should be given up(88/12) that is currently given to you. The problem is that we have MP's here on the coast that talk the talk really strong, but when vote time comes, they roll over and die or don't show up. [V](kieth martin for the HST)

quote:Originally posted by searun

Sorry, but I think we have to acknowledge this is a conservation issue</u>. I cannot see how we in the Rec sector can stand here with all the published data clearly demonstrating the biomass is declining and still kid ourselves there isn't a conservation concern. Less isn't more, or at least it wasn't when I attended University sitting through those exciting [xx(] Statistical Analysis courses.

Its sounding a little self serving to argue that we deserve a larger share of the TAC at the expense of other users. I'm a charter operator and for the future of our fishery, I cannot support either side </u>in this continuing to catch the same number of fish when the biomass is in decline. Our mutual future (Commercial and Recreational) depends on enough fish successfully spawning to increase the population.

I mean no disrespect to guys trying to run a business and protect their interests and that of their customers, but I believe more strongly that we also have a duty </u>to future generations of anglers to do the right thing in the long term and not sacrifice that for short term interest.

So with that, in a spirit of conservation, please consider finding options that would allow the greatest conservation benefit for future generations, while preserving the best angling opportunity for the majority of all recreational anglers and not just a few trying to continue shoulder season fishing. In a perfect world we could keep everyone happy, but this isn't a perfect situation we face and one that calls for some sacrifice for the greatest possible benefit.

I'll sit back now and wait for the beatings to begin...give me your best shot. [B)]

Searun

You are correct, Searun. I saw the numbers at our area meeting. The spawner component of the Halibut biomass has indeed shrunk dramatically so it is a conservation issue as well as an allocation isssue - regardless of the fact that i think that the allocation process was flawed and unfair to all beside the commies.I also have always believed in the stewardship of our fisheries but i would like to point out that the recreational sector has always been first to stick up for the long term interests of our fishery

quote:I also have always believed in the stewardship of our fisheries but i would like to point out that the recreational sector has always been first to stick up for the long term interests of our fishery

Can you elaborate on this? The rec sector has been over it's allocation for years. There is a complete unwillingness to count properly, reduce limits or reduce participants as the TAC decreases. This applies to salmon as well.

Wow [:0] I go away on business for one day and have come back to this topic exploding. OMG, just shows how some have real passion on this issue.

I will read the thread in detail. Great topic, much at stake, just bad news for us for now!

LC - I really want to help you guys on approaching the Province about stepping up and helping the halibut guides locally. I have the contacts you want. Also there has been some behind the scenes planning going on (more later). Am working with a couple of strong local allies in the guiding business who are on side too. We need to talk.

Gov

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

quote:Originally posted by Governor

Wow [:0] I go away on business for one day and have come back to this topic exploding. OMG, just shows how some have real passion on this issue.

I will read the thread in detail. Great topic, much at stake, just bad news for us for now!

LC - I really want to help you guys on approaching the Province about stepping up and helping the halibut guides locally. I have the contacts you want. Also there has been some behind the scenes planning going on (more later). Am working with a couple of strong local allies in the guiding business who are on side too. We need to talk.

Gov

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

I emailed a number of guys in the business, several came forward and seem to give a damn. We need to setup a small meeting somewhere. Esquimalt?

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Originally posted by fisher69

quote:I also have always believed in the stewardship of our fisheries but i would like to point out that the recreational sector has always been first to stick up for the long term interests of our fishery

Can you elaborate on this? The rec sector has been over it's allocation for years. There is a complete unwillingness to count properly, reduce limits or reduce participants as the TAC decreases. This applies to salmon as well.
I would love to. The recreational allocation has never been enforced - it was only a few years ago we were encouraged by DFO to expand the Halibut fishery to take pressure off the Salmon stocks.....remember? [:eek:)]The recreational sector has always been the 1st to give up access(closures) and limits for the best interests of the fish - as compared to the Commies. [}:)]

i am, once again, confused. so the commercial halibut folks have to pay for a monitoring system to insure they are in compliance with tonnage limits and bycatch while the sport fishing community has no checks in place, no kill tags, no fish checkers, no nothing?

so just how does anyone possibly know how many fish the sporties have harvested? do you actually have a freeforall going on in BC with regard to sport caught halibut? if thats the case, what the hell are you all whinning about?

quote:
I would love to. The recreational allocation has never been enforced - it was only a few years ago we were encouraged by DFO to expand the Halibut fishery to take pressure off the Salmon stocks.....remember? [:eek:)]The recreational sector has always been the 1st to give up access(closures) and limits for the best interests of the fish - as compared to the Commies. [}:)]

your kidding right?? DFO closed the season early because the allocation had been exceeded and there were months of letters and complaining. Personal attacts against the minister and the RDG.
At the early IPHC meeting this year one of the first things thrown at Canada was how poor the rec and fsc numbers were. I spent a few days at langara last year and was told that the halibut we brought in didn't need to be counted.Where are the seasonal limits being reduced now that the rec sector has grown to 300,000. What's left of the inshore rockfish around Prince Rupert and the WCVI with the increased pressure.

quote:Originally posted by reelfast

i am, once again, confused. so the commercial halibut folks have to pay for a monitoring system to insure they are in compliance with tonnage limits and bycatch while the sport fishing community has no checks in place, no kill tags, no fish checkers, no nothing?

so just how does anyone possibly know how many fish the sporties have harvested? do you actually have a freeforall going on in BC with regard to sport caught halibut? if thats the case, what the hell are you all whinning about?

You nailed it nobody knows what the rec sector is really taking out of the water in any species. The lodges bs the numbers, the individual licenses are required(but not mandatory) to be sent in with the years catch, and yes it is a free for all here with the stocks being beaten down and no accountability.The "commies" are paying well over $1 mill to have cameras, dockside validation and observers here to make sure they stay within the TAC and don't dump fish. This is a halibut thread but dont limit the lack of accountability to just halibut.. It is only a matter of time before the crap hits the fan with what is going on with the rockfish here as well.

fisher69,

I work for a lodge and don't bs my numbers at all. We were given these little computer things and I record everything I catch right after I catch it, including weight. All guides at the lodge have them. Why would we bs our number anyways? If we "trick" DFO into thinking we only catch x pounds, then they will see no need to alter the allocation or take any other means of action. It would be very short-sighted to bs our count, and most of us are in it for a longer run.

reelfast,

It is not a free-for-all. The rec sector count is determined by counting a select few then averaging over the entire population. We have what are called "Creel Surveys" which is basically a guy standing at the ramp that records how long you fished and what you caught. Those numbers are averaged over the number of boats out, which are counted via boat or plane. The process is similar with lodges. The lodge I'm at keeps numbers but not all do. The numbers we give are used to approximate what all lodges catch.

It is not perfect but is certainly not a free-for-all.

fisher69,

I think its ridiculous to argue that the rec sector does not care about conservation. Likewise with the commies. Both sectors have people committed to conservation and both have people that catch all the fish they can, sometimes illegally.

Several sporties just on this forum have discussed their efforts towards conservation. One of the guides I work with has spent most of his life working and volunteering at hatcheries. Likewise I am sure there are a number of commies that put work in as well.

On the other hand, I know a number of commercial fishermen, hali and salmon, and could name multiple instances where I overheard or was told about fishing practices that made me cringe. Likewise I have seen tourists bonking coho and other poor practices from the rec sector.

Nothing good can come from this discussion, it will just go back and forth. Very counterproductive - focus on possible solutions instead.

LC,

I agree regarding with the sporties needing a fixed number, or perhaps a floor and a ceiling. We need a certain number of fish to survive, hence the floor (~1 mil lbs), and we have no use for numbers beyond what we caught during our good seasons (~2 mil lbs). With the current allocation policy, we cannot benefit from the peak years because we can't catch that many fish anyways, so the extra will go to the commercial sector. For example if we were given 2.2mil lbs we would likely only catch 1.6-1.8 or so then the commies would get the extra - i.e no benefit for sports beyond a certain number. Conversely during poor years we cannot survive. From my somewhat short experience guiding, I can handle slow days with very few fish, but if we cannot fish at all we are screwed.

With the current 88/12 policy, the sports sector is not built to withstand, or take advantage of, high and low years. It is built for a steadier, somewhat more reliable allocation. I'm not saying the commies thrive off big fluctuations, certainly not, but they are more resilient to them.

The commercial and sport sectors operate very differently thus creating a suitable allocation policy is a very complex problem. Usually, complex problems require complex solutions, which is why the very simple 88/12 fails. In my opinion, any simple split whether 88/12 or 80/20 is not optimal. I think the sports allocation should fluctuate within 30% of the last 10 years average catch, while the commercials get everything else. Simply put, if the sports 10 year average catch was 1.5 mil, then the floor would be about 1 mil and the ceiling about 2. If over the years our average catch went up to say 2 mil, then the floor would be 1.4mil and ceiling about 2.6. That would account for any expanding or shrinking the sports sector does in the future.

Make sense?

quote:

your kidding right?? DFO closed the season early because the allocation had been exceeded and there were months of letters and complaining. Personal attacts against the minister and the RDG.
At the early IPHC meeting this year one of the first things thrown at Canada was how poor the rec and fsc numbers were. I spent a few days at langara last year and was told that the halibut we brought in didn't need to be counted.Where are the seasonal limits being reduced now that the rec sector has grown to 300,000. What's left of the inshore rockfish around Prince Rupert and the WCVI with the increased pressure.
Anyone that isn't on an agenda would recognize that i was referring to the history of the Halibut fishery and not what happened last year.I'm disappointed that Langara had that attitude regarding the reporting of the Halibut - i've never heard of that before.I can't speak for around Rupert but it is a fact that the live cod fishery wiped out the rockfish in my area - i saw it with my own eyes.[B)]

quote:

Why are all areas other than a few on the wc open still for 2 a day? Because we just don't catch that many over here inside? If the quota was met wouldn't all areas be closed?

quote:Originally posted by lazoman

quote:

Why are all areas other than a few on the wc open still for 2 a day? Because we just don't catch that many over here inside? If the quota was met wouldn't all areas be closed?
The extra quota that was bought from the commies hasn't been used up yet but let's face it - nobody is fishing for Halis now. It's all a farce, to make it looks like there is still access to the fish. I don't even have my boat in the water with the BIG ocean in the winter

quote:Originally posted by Captain Dudds

fisher69,

I work for a lodge and don't bs my numbers at all. We were given these little computer things and I record everything I catch right after I catch it, including weight. All guides at the lodge have them. Why would we bs our number anyways? If we "trick" DFO into thinking we only catch x pounds, then they will see no need to alter the allocation or take any other means of action. It would be very short-sighted to bs our count, and most of us are in it for a longer run.

reelfast,

It is not a free-for-all. The rec sector count is determined by counting a select few then averaging over the entire population. We have what are called "Creel Surveys" which is basically a guy standing at the ramp that records how long you fished and what you caught. Those numbers are averaged over the number of boats out, which are counted via boat or plane. The process is similar with lodges. The lodge I'm at keeps numbers but not all do. The numbers we give are used to approximate what all lodges catch.

It is not perfect but is certainly not a free-for-all.

fisher69,

I think its ridiculous to argue that the rec sector does not care about conservation. Likewise with the commies. Both sectors have people committed to conservation and both have people that catch all the fish they can, sometimes illegally.

Several sporties just on this forum have discussed their efforts towards conservation. One of the guides I work with has spent most of his life working and volunteering at hatcheries. Likewise I am sure there are a number of commies that put work in as well.

On the other hand, I know a number of commercial fishermen, hali and salmon, and could name multiple instances where I overheard or was told about fishing practices that made me cringe. Likewise I have seen tourists bonking coho and other poor practices from the rec sector.

Nothing good can come from this discussion, it will just go back and forth. Very counterproductive - focus on possible solutions instead.

LC,

I agree regarding with the sporties needing a fixed number, or perhaps a floor and a ceiling. We need a certain number of fish to survive, hence the floor (~1 mil lbs), and we have no use for numbers beyond what we caught during our good seasons (~2 mil lbs). With the current allocation policy, we cannot benefit from the peak years because we can't catch that many fish anyways, so the extra will go to the commercial sector. For example if we were given 2.2mil lbs we would likely only catch 1.6-1.8 or so then the commies would get the extra - i.e no benefit for sports beyond a certain number. Conversely during poor years we cannot survive. From my somewhat short experience guiding, I can handle slow days with very few fish, but if we cannot fish at all we are screwed.

With the current 88/12 policy, the sports sector is not built to withstand, or take advantage of, high and low years. It is built for a steadier, somewhat more reliable allocation. I'm not saying the commies thrive off big fluctuations, certainly not, but they are more resilient to them.

The commercial and sport sectors operate very differently thus creating a suitable allocation policy is a very complex problem. Usually, complex problems require complex solutions, which is why the very simple 88/12 fails. In my opinion, any simple split whether 88/12 or 80/20 is not optimal. I think the sports allocation should fluctuate within 30% of the last 10 years average catch, while the commercials get everything else. Simply put, if the sports 10 year average catch was 1.5 mil, then the floor would be about 1 mil and the ceiling about 2. If over the years our average catch went up to say 2 mil, then the floor would be 1.4mil and ceiling about 2.6. That would account for any expanding or shrinking the sports sector does in the future.

Make sense?
Duds;

your right it is not fair to paint all with the same brush.

your numbers work for the sports and charter but would kill many of the commercial guys.

The only BS getting thrown around here is that being put out by people who clearly have an agenda to discredit rec catch numbers, and generally focus on things that have no bearing on what is ONLY an allocation problem.

Some facts:

- the recreational creel survey incorporates a peer reviewed statistical methodology that has consistently been suported by DFO staff as being defensible, and providing data that they are comfortable using.
- lodges on the coast have been audited for at least the past two seasons, and basically zero discrepencies were found.
- inspections of lodge catches are routinely carried out at airports all over the coast. Virtually no infractions are found.
- lodges and charters are required to submit catch data to DFO either in the form of a log book, or by email and this is done every year, and has been done for many years. This is what is audited.
- the recreational catch of halibut was well under its TAC every year up to about 2006. The underage was leased to the commercial sector hence "the account" that has been used to lease quota for the recreational sector for the past couple of years.

etc...etc...

Please cut the BS guys, its pretty basic.

The IPHC determines the Canadian quota based on factoring in conservation parameters.

That covers off conservation concerns.

Canada then determines how to split up that conservation based TAC. It does it by providing 88% to 440 individuals, and 12% to all other Canadians (300,000 give or take a few).

Thats where the problem lies and its called ALLOCATION, not conservation.

Governor, good to hear you're getting a political program going. Thats where the solution lies IMO. I'll emial you and join the ranks!
Gooey

As 23 year charter operator I would someone to remind me when I sent in my yearly log book for hali's.

Back