2010 Halibut Catch Recommendations

Wether or not you actually send them in doesn't take aweay from the fact that you're actually supposed to. Being in the lodge business for over 25 years, I can comfortably state that I've seen to it that either paper logs or electronic versions were sent in every year.

Gooey

quote:Originally posted by Gooey Bob

The only BS getting thrown around here is that being put out by people who clearly have an agenda to discredit rec catch numbers, and generally focus on things that have no bearing on what is ONLY an allocation problem.

Some facts:

- the recreational creel survey incorporates a peer reviewed statistical methodology that has consistently been suported by DFO staff as being defensible, and providing data that they are comfortable using.
- lodges on the coast have been audited for at least the past two seasons, and basically zero discrepencies were found.
- inspections of lodge catches are routinely carried out at airports all over the coast. Virtually no infractions are found.
- lodges and charters are required to submit catch data to DFO either in the form of a log book, or by email and this is done every year, and has been done for many years. This is what is audited.
- the recreational catch of halibut was well under its TAC every year up to about 2006. The underage was leased to the commercial sector hence "the account" that has been used to lease quota for the recreational sector for the past couple of years.

etc...etc...

Please cut the BS guys, its pretty basic.

The IPHC determines the Canadian quota based on factoring in conservation parameters.

That covers off conservation concerns.

Canada then determines how to split up that conservation based TAC. It does it by providing 88% to 440 individuals, and 12% to all other Canadians (300,000 give or take a few).

Thats where the problem lies and its called ALLOCATION, not conservation.

Governor, good to hear you're getting a political program going. Thats where the solution lies IMO. I'll emial you and join the ranks!
Gooey

Agreed!

Thanks for providing this clarity for others to consider Gooey Bob.

I guess if DFO or anybody bothered to send me a log book to fill out it would have been done. I suppose it is mandatory or I'll loose my "SALTWATER CHARTER LICENSE" just like a commercial guy might if he didn't comply. I yes I know that there is now such thing and it therefor not...and there in lies the joke. No accountability!!! DFO isn't managing the resources (all species)properly for longterm sustainability for all.

Quite a few of us from Renny, Sooke and Vic did the logbook this past season. DfO was great about dropping them off and picking them up in person, therfore giving a chance to rattle a few question off in person and getting the feeling of an honest response.

Reduced Hali TAC was one that was suspected to be reduced again with the positive of going back up 2011. Now with conservation being mentioned it makes me wonder about that increase ever coming. Also mentioned was the liklyhood of 45-67cm Slot Size limit on early Fraser Chinook area 19 and 20, to be enforced again with a extension into the first few weeks of June.

With a potential time extended slot limit and another late opening on Hali it will tough to have the motivation to head out next Spring.

www.tailspincharters.com

Cheers All,

Canada then determines how to split up that conservation based TAC. It does it by providing 88% to 440 individuals, and 12% to all other Canadians (300,000 give or take a few).

Thats where the problem lies and its called ALLOCATION, not conservation.

Well said Gooey Bob...nothing more can be added.

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff
www.fishingvancouverisland.org

I going to start off by saying I wish I could type better and faster and I would be able to explain a few thing better to those that really should do some research before they comment here.
I spent over 25 years as a commercial halibut fisherman, I now run a small Sportlodge on the CQI. I sold in 1999 so yes I was one of the "gifted" few. One of the larger gifted few that sold in stead of keeping it and leasing it out. I sat on the Halibut advisory board and was president of the PHMA for a number of years and in my time there while the sport sector had a seat at the table they rairly showed up and when they did the main question we asked them was "how much fish do you guys catch". Their answer " I'm not sure" So the bottom line when the sports sector got their 12% at the time it was enough. TAC's were high and evryone was happy. Now TAC's on a decline and No one is happy, commercials or sports.
Let's talk about Allocation next , If you think for one minute 88/12 is going to change you need to wake up and smell the coffee. I'm not saying this to **** anyone off or pick sides because remember I'm a sporty now but I have played in both courts.Its not going to change and the sports sector need to find another avenue to attack this problem. Trying to get the Minister to change the split has as much chance as hell freezing over.

The declining TAC is nothing to be concerned about its just the cycle on a downward slope . Its been there many times before and it will go up and down long after were all in the ground or becoming crab food.Talk to the IPHC and they will be happy to send you the cycles for the last 60 years.

The internet is a great place to vent and a lot of people livelyhoods are at stake with the decisions that are being made right now but I'll say it again the sport sector and their 'REPRESENTATIVES" need to stop barking up the wrong tree.

I know I'll get some flack for my comments here but just like the rest of you I had to vent also.

quote:Originally posted by profisher

I guess if DFO or anybody bothered to send me a log book to fill out it would have been done. I suppose it is mandatory or I'll loose my "SALTWATER CHARTER LICENSE" just like a commercial guy might if he didn't comply. I yes I know that there is now such thing and it therefor not...and there in lies the joke. No accountability!!! DFO isn't managing the resources (all species)properly for longterm sustainability for all.

at least someone gets it. keep pounding the table for more fish with crappy accountability and the hali will end up like the springs.[xx(]

Get educated so you know all the facts. Get involved as "one voice" and work with DFO not against them.

"Who would have ever thought it would be this much fun catching them one at a time"

Nice try Bogman but rest assured that we will NOT accept this TAC split and we WILL change it. Question is when. Unfortunately, not likely right now but it will happen because this plain and simple injustice will eventually be toppled - if necessary in court. And believe me, there are some here who know much more than YOU think.

quote:Originally posted by chris73

Nice try Bogman but rest assured that we will NOT accept this TAC split and we WILL change it. Question is when. Unfortunately, not likely right now but it will happen because this plain and simple injustice will eventually be toppled - if necessary in court. And believe me, there are some here who know much more than YOU think.
I'm with Chris. To think that so few people, for the most part control all but 12% of the allowable catch of halibut in BC is a bitter pill to swallow. Once enough people realize what a pile of crap this allocation process is they will finally get angry enough to do something about - by getting political.Sorry folks but that's the one way i can see any changes being made. [xx(]

I hate to say it but bogman is correct ill give it my all to fight it as im a sportfisherman and a guide/charter person.

WE all need to get onboard and stop finger pointing this has nothing to do with charter fishing or sportfishing as you all know there is WAY</u> more sportfisherman out there fishing halibut then guides many on here.

We need to all get together and there will be a meeting in january from what Ive heard and WE all need to be there as there is things coming up (from what ive been told) so we need attendence its the only way.

And see what happens but its not looking good!!!!!

Wolf

quote:Originally posted by chris73

First of all Chris I am not trying anything and I fully believe that there is alot of people on this forum that are VERY well informed.You may be right about getting the Allocation changed but it won't be a gift from the government , we will have to buy it.

"Who would have ever thought it would be this much fun catching them one at a time"

You know what Unknown? This is a totally different subject you bring up there. Now you are talking about REAL conservation issues. I have always maintained, and I know a number of fellow fishermen think the same, that if there is good evidence that it will help rebuilding endangered fish stocks I will gladly lay down my "weapons" for a couple of years or so. Only that DFO has discredited its own science to a degree that I have a hard time believing in anything they say anymore and thus would be very careful before I accepted a total closure if they say it will work. But in general the survival of the fish is more important to me than me going fishing. BTW, I would probably still find a pothole to yank out a trout or bass...:D

Hey there guy's. I'd like to bring us all back on track by saying that this was originally a Haly thread.

Only my FIVE CENTS....

What if we had a weight slot size for our catch limit. As someone earlier mentioned, if we are only alowed one hali a day most of us are going to target the big producing females which is not right. These big girls are the future for our kids.

I would be in favor for a two hali daily limit and three hali in your posetion as long as they would be in the chicken range size.

Any fish over 50 or 60 lbs sould be considered a one hali daily limit.

If we look at the bigger picture and manage our fisheries a little differantly for our younger generations of fisherman ( KIDS ), we might be enjoying this life style for many years to come.

Only my FIVE CENTS......

Life is good on the water!

ITS NOT</u>an conservation issue when will you people get by this its ALLabout allocation plain and simple its about sport fisherman wanting a bigger piece of the 88/12 split.

Once again here it is I dont remeber the numbers and im tired of looking but rough guess theres 415 halibut lic. of which there is only about 175 boats accually fishing it and they get 88% of the base.

Sports get 12% of the pie which this year is around the 790.000 lbs which will be used up probablly in the first month or 2 so once the seson opens you better hurry up and get it.

Things people should know as well commercial if they dont fill there quota roughly about 7.9 millon lbs they get to carry it over to the next year hows that for being fair!!!!!
So to put it into perspective if you went out fishing for the whole summer and only got 5 springs and your allowed 20 if we were allowed to use the "commercial" way we could carry the fish over for next year giving you an additional 15 to go with your 20 so now you could catch 35 fish. yep our DFO is smart!!!!!!

If and when we ever do get it changed it will take a law suit to do as thats the only way look at the native land claims you go to court and you win not to bash in any way but they have figured it out they are less that 1% of the voting public but look at them go re-naming the puget sound changing the charlottes name billion dollar settlements and there still going as they have challeged the government!!!!!! and are winning so what we need to do is take it to court as the system now is definatlly unfair but whos going to do it???? we need a lawyer who is a fisherman and wants to put up a fight.

Wolf

Fishinphil I totally understand your frustration man this thing really sucks as we sport guys are taking the grunt for a minister back then who thought he was doing it right and unfortunatlly there wasnt a "voice" or we didnt much care back then as halibut fishing really didnt take off.
You asked why not a weight size well I can tell you from personal experience alot of guy see a 40 lb halibut and think its a 60 or 70 as there not experienced enough to judge a size, Hell I even know a guide who went on the radio saying he hit triple digits and was soooooo excited when it weighed it in it was like 78 lbs.oooooooppppps classic f up.

Do you think for one minute a commercial guy who goes out and sets 500 hooks on a skate is going to start throwning back 80 to 150 lb plus halibut and go for small ones I hardly think so hes going to go out get is weigh as quick and as fast as he can he ALLOWED to just like us andI dont blame him one bit. he is no different than us why spend 3 weeks fishing when he can get it done in 5 days, as for us why spend 10 hours fishing when we can get it done in 3 hours although some may want to fish for 10 hrs to get away from the wife LOL LOL

IF it was a conservation issue then 1 a day is fine with an annual limit (in the perfect world)

Its all about the peice of the pie 2 years ago the commercial fleet left almost a millions lbs in the water to be fished the next year added on to ther quota sport had 1.2 mil and thats it for almost 30,000 anglers where the com fleet is less than 200 boats think something is a bit askew??????

Thats my 10 cents worth of rant for the day

GOOD LUCK WOLF

Fishinphil I totally understand your frustration man this thing really sucks as we sport guys are taking the grunt for a minister back then who thought he was doing it right and unfortunatlly there wasnt a "voice" or we didnt much care back then as halibut fishing really didnt take off.
You asked why not a weight size well I can tell you from personal experience alot of guy see a 40 lb halibut and think its a 60 or 70 as there not experienced enough to judge a size, Hell I even know a guide who went on the radio saying he hit triple digits and was soooooo excited when it weighed it in it was like 78 lbs.oooooooppppps classic f up.

Do you think for one minute a commercial guy who goes out and sets 500 hooks on a skate is going to start throwning back 80 to 150 lb plus halibut and go for small ones I hardly think so hes going to go out get is weigh as quick and as fast as he can he ALLOWED to just like us andI dont blame him one bit. he is no different than us why spend 3 weeks fishing when he can get it done in 5 days, as for us why spend 10 hours fishing when we can get it done in 3 hours although some may want to fish for 10 hrs to get away from the wife LOL LOL

IF it was a conservation issue then 1 a day is fine with an annual limit (in the perfect world)

Its all about the peice of the pie 2 years ago the commercial fleet left almost a millions lbs in the water to be fished the next year added on to ther quota sport had 1.2 mil and thats it for almost 30,000 anglers where the com fleet is less than 200 boats think something is a bit askew??????

Thats my 10 cents worth of rant for the day

GOOD LUCK WOLF

if that much quota was 'left in the water' does that not suggest that excess quota was not there to catch in the first place?

would seem that an alternative hypothesis is that estimating halibut stocks, no matter how hard they try, is as difficult as estimating salmon stocks.

Back