2009 - 2010 Halibut Debate + Poll

The same old problem comes up again where does DFO get these #s from? 900,000 lbs 1.8 million pds? That is the problem here. They fly over and count boats out off the banks. Tell me everyone here catches halibut every fishing trip? Can everyone here tell me there was someone at the dock waiting for your return every trip out to count your fish? I put 4 halibut in my freezer this season plenty for me and the wife and kids. I have never caught a Hali over 100 lbs but Im guessing if it happens I will prob let it go havent got there yet. I will take a pic of me cutting the line though and collect 50 bucks? Anyhow 10 20lb Hali thats about what 150 lbs dressed thats a fair bit of meat. I kept four since June and I still have meat in the freezer I guess it depends on how often u eat it. 5-10 fish a yr per person seems resonable Im sure not every sporty gets 10 a yr anyhow. Unless you target them all the time.

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

Hey CC, glad ours was only 90, didn't have to cut the line.;) I have to admit that would have been a tough one to let go, the only one in the boat that trip.

Hey Lazo Ive kept a few in the 80s in my day I'm just concerned about the stocks on the inside here its really nice that there starting to show up more around Kitty and by the sounds of it Nanaimo etc and I would really like it if it continued and even get better. Besides that was your first big one I dont blame u at all for keepin that baby,and it wasnt caught at Kitty I remember 20 yrs back getting em not far from here no prob. Little different now.

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

X2 bee15, I agree.:D And yes you are having one good run at it and they are not over. Go benyfish!!

The regulations are enough now. They don't collect your salmon catch licence info?? so.. They hardly enforce the ones they have,[:eek:)] they don't need more. Lets move forward.

All I will add is that there is already considerable animosity at times between the true recreational angler and us charter guys. Just wait until early closures become the norm...like down in Washington. The charter guys out all the time, no personal limit on their take. Us charter guys will schedule our hali trips to get them done early enough before the TAC is done. The average guy doesn't necessarily have that luxury...they have jobs. So who will wear some of the blame when the seasons shut down early because the TAC is caught?

I agree Profisher....whatever we do must be fair to everyone not just us Charter guys. If we go with a "gold rush" set of regulations everyone will be blasting out there to get in on as many fish as they can haul in before the TAC is caught and fishing closed down.

Same too with the one fish limit. I'm opposed to this simply because it rewards guys who go sit on the pinnacles and target the big moma's. We need to think long term and encourage regulations that spread out the effort during periods most recreational and Charter guys can get on the water. The guiding principle we should be adopting is "what is fair for all concerned?"

Searun

I agree Profisher....whatever we do must be fair to everyone not just us Charter guys. If we go with a "gold rush" set of regulations everyone will be blasting out there to get in on as many fish as they can haul in before the TAC is caught and fishing closed down.

Same too with the one fish limit. I'm opposed to this simply because it rewards guys who go sit on the pinnacles and target the big moma's. We need to think long term and encourage regulations that spread out the effort during periods most recreational and Charter guys can get on the water. The guiding principle we should be adopting is "what is fair for all concerned?"

Searun

True enough, yes while it is an allocation issue, we still need to find a way to spread out the TAC catch over the season. I personally don't like the one fish limit because it encourages guys to target monsters. I agree that when you have one at the side of the boat it is very difficult to safely remove the hook, and likely better to bonk him. Nevertheless, best if we can find either area closures around the pinnacles or some kind of seasonal limit that helps get most anglers off the pinnacles and onto the banks where there is less chance you hook the spawning monster females. I think it is the right thing to do regardless of the allocation issue...at least that way there are a few more that spawn and re-populate the fishery.

Searun

True enough, yes while it is an allocation issue, we still need to find a way to spread out the TAC catch over the season. I personally don't like the one fish limit because it encourages guys to target monsters. I agree that when you have one at the side of the boat it is very difficult to safely remove the hook, and likely better to bonk him. Nevertheless, best if we can find either area closures around the pinnacles or some kind of seasonal limit that helps get most anglers off the pinnacles and onto the banks where there is less chance you hook the spawning monster females. I think it is the right thing to do regardless of the allocation issue...at least that way there are a few more that spawn and re-populate the fishery.

Searun

A Question that needs to be asked -Of all the people asking everyone the release the bigger halibut -How many of theses people have retainted a large halibut? Are you asking a person to feel bad if they do get a 100lber plus top to feel bad because they may want to retain the fish?

A Question that needs to be asked -Of all the people asking everyone the release the bigger halibut -How many of theses people have retainted a large halibut? Are you asking a person to feel bad if they do get a 100lber plus top to feel bad because they may want to retain the fish?

I'm a little confused, (but may just be a little slow)can someone please explain to me how:

- a seasonal limit will prevent anglers from targetting large fish?

- a seasonal limit will in some way aid in getting a limit of 2 per day rather than one? In fact, it may have the opposite effect. If one were to model a "worst case scenario" of recreational catch, you could simply apply a catch of 10 fish per licensed angler to the total number of licensed anglers and come up with a ridiculous number. It may seem ridiculous to us, but it would actually represent the "potential total rec catch" by those who would choose to use that number.

I'd suggest that we can provide for as many specific regulations as we want to try and govern angling behavior, but as long as we are held to 12% of the total TAC, they will amount to nothing in terms of affecting management measures that will be imposed in the future.

The allocation is the problem, and changing it is the solution.

Gooey

I'm a little confused, (but may just be a little slow)can someone please explain to me how:

- a seasonal limit will prevent anglers from targetting large fish?

- a seasonal limit will in some way aid in getting a limit of 2 per day rather than one? In fact, it may have the opposite effect. If one were to model a "worst case scenario" of recreational catch, you could simply apply a catch of 10 fish per licensed angler to the total number of licensed anglers and come up with a ridiculous number. It may seem ridiculous to us, but it would actually represent the "potential total rec catch" by those who would choose to use that number.

I'd suggest that we can provide for as many specific regulations as we want to try and govern angling behavior, but as long as we are held to 12% of the total TAC, they will amount to nothing in terms of affecting management measures that will be imposed in the future.

The allocation is the problem, and changing it is the solution.

Gooey

You are bang on Gooey !
10 per season , so the commercials can get the rest of our TAC
doesn't make good sense as a sporty.
After all the TAC will be caught,it's just a matter of who does the catching.

You are bang on Gooey !
10 per season , so the commercials can get the rest of our TAC
doesn't make good sense as a sporty.
After all the TAC will be caught,it's just a matter of who does the catching.

10 per season won't reduce or increase our take...we still want to catch all we are entitled to...it will however stop guides or anyone who fishes daily from taking a larger share before the season closes. Under this 12% TAC seasons will close early as the halibut fishery continues to grow in popularity..and yes we should continue to work and fight to change that.

10 per season won't reduce or increase our take...we still want to catch all we are entitled to...it will however stop guides or anyone who fishes daily from taking a larger share before the season closes. Under this 12% TAC seasons will close early as the halibut fishery continues to grow in popularity..and yes we should continue to work and fight to change that.

Back