20' vs 23' Hourston - PLEASE HELP

Thank you to all as always, what about a Double Eagle? These are my 2 top picks in the 20' range...? thoughts

pro or cons, which would be considered best for resale and safety?

Last edited:
I am biased for the DE, had them all sizes for 30 years, current model is the 18.6 with custom built welded aluminum hardtop. Perfect for me now, safe in any water I will be in, tows with Tacoma, fishes great, manageable alone, comfortable with 2, 3+ ????, at 5'8' s son and I can get a good night sleep, easy on gas 140 4 stroke. There are no negatives, yes I would love to pod it but as is, it works well. Its an 07, paid 22K in 2011 in mint condition, would love a bigger welded but need an extra 100K for that. As for resale try and buy a good one? Needs to be your buddy, neighbor, or your first with cash. I cant say anything for or against the Hurston, have NEVER read or heard any thing bad about them. Would say there are more DE than Hurston's around.

HM

I am biased for the DE, had them all sizes for 30 years, current model is the 18.6 with custom built welded aluminum hardtop. Perfect for me now, safe in any water I will be in, tows with Tacoma, fishes great, manageable alone, comfortable with 2, 3+ ????, at 5'8' s son and I can get a good night sleep, easy on gas 140 4 stroke. There are no negatives, yes I would love to pod it but as is, it works well. Its an 07, paid 22K in 2011 in mint condition, would love a bigger welded but need an extra 100K for that. As for resale try and buy a good one? Needs to be your buddy, neighbor, or your first with cash. I cant say anything for or against the Hurston, have NEVER read or heard any thing bad about them. Would say there are more DE than Hurston's around.

HM

Love my DE 185

You said your not buying a new truck,so the 23 Hourston is out,no way you can tow it with your truck.The 20 Hourston is towable,your 200 Yamaha is enough power and overnighting is possible but cramped.I personally wouldn't put a rear bulkhead in the 20,you'd need a rear helm,it would be better with a canvass drop curtain with windows and door that you can take out on nice days.A full flotation pod is the best way to go on the 20,it increases your deck area,gives you a full height transom (safety),makes it ride better like the 23,makes steering linkage to kicker simple and lifts the transom up to where it should sit.Doing the full restore won't be easy or cheap,but it sounds like your up to it.

The dry weight of a 23ft w/flybridge on the trailer w/a small block Ford and vovlo280 leg was 3400Kg. With the motor and leg remove it dropped to 2019Kg a weight loss of 1390Kg.

A full stringer and transom job is going to cost you close to $5000+ by the time the dust settles. Add another $2500-$3000 for a pod

You said your not buying a new truck,so the 23 Hourston is out,no way you can tow it with your truck.The 20 Hourston is towable,your 200 Yamaha is enough power and overnighting is possible but cramped.I personally wouldn't put a rear bulkhead in the 20,you'd need a rear helm,it would be better with a canvass drop curtain with windows and door that you can take out on nice days.A full flotation pod is the best way to go on the 20,it increases your deck area,gives you a full height transom (safety),makes it ride better like the 23,makes steering linkage to kicker simple and lifts the transom up to where it should sit.Doing the full restore won't be easy or cheap,but it sounds like your up to it.

Well thank you kindly, your thoughts is exactly what I was thinking 23 is out, I can look at the 21'6" Double Eagle and compare to the 20'4" Hourston as I think I could manage to tow either or... Anyone have any confirmed measurements on either? beam, LOA, Cabin headroom etc.??

The dry weight of a 23ft w/flybridge on the trailer w/a small block Ford and vovlo280 leg was 3400Kg. With the motor and leg remove it dropped to 2019Kg a weight loss of 1390Kg.

Thank you for that info, i think it best to say looking at the 20 Hourston or 21 Double Eagle

A full stringer and transom job is going to cost you close to $5000+ by the time the dust settles. Add another $2500-$3000 for a pod

Smilar calculations...

I have podded two Hourstons. Cost me $2500 to have DSS Welding in Duncan do it. Get the 23', it is twice the boat and not much heavier. With a pod you will be about 6K rolling with a trailer. No problem for a modern 1 ton. I restored a 23 footer for 25 grand, including paint, used 4 stroke outboard, and a complete gut and rewire. My 26 footer was another story LOL.

If course, I have seen a 23 footer podded for 25 grand around here. Not a bad deal considering the work. PM me if you have any questions. I love to see the ol' Hourstons brought back to life with new power. I can tell you some mistakes I made.

So lets look at the 20 Hourston VS 21
I have podded two Hourstons. Cost me $2500 to have DSS Welding in Duncan do it. Get the 23', it is twice the boat and not much heavier. With a pod you will be about 6K rolling with a trailer. No problem for a modern 1 ton. I restored a 23 footer for 25 grand, including paint, used 4 stroke outboard, and a complete gut and rewire. My 26 footer was another story LOL.

If course, I have seen a 23 footer podded for 25 grand around here. Not a bad deal considering the work. PM me if you have any questions. I love to see the ol' Hourstons brought back to life with new power. I can tell you some mistakes I made.
I have a 1/2 tonne, a 23 would be a stretch so I am considering the 21' Double Eagle, not sure on the beam difference = more boat... any feed back on the 20' Hourston vs 21 'Double Eagle?

Last edited:
My last boat was a 2006-206 Double Eagle,it was a nice boat with a high hardtop (6Ft.4in.) I think.It had a 225 Yamaha on it and I think I wouldn't want less than a 200 on it.They still built them with wood in the transom and stringers,so you have to find a good one and their expensive,mine sold last year for $37K. very well equipped and near mint condition.I don't know your budget but if that's too high you might find an older 20 Ft. but the hardtops were too low for my liking.I haven't owned a 20 Hourston but they were a good boat other than the usual rotten transom and stringers that most older Hourston's end up with and most were IO's so you need to pod them to make them a much better boat as you would with an older DE.

yep, got the htch, left over from my trailer sale

Hey if you are passing on the 23 send me a pm im looking for my next boat and with all the over priced boats right now i may be looking at getting a 23 and having it fully redone: restrung, floor, re configure the interior with dinnete and standup head, full paint out or regel, podded and repowered. Im not handy with that stuff but i have a few trades lined up that do these restorations on the regular. And the ecodiesel is a great vehicle but is limited to towing weight. However it is so darn efficient when towing its capabilities.

Hey if you are passing on the 23 send me a pm im looking for my next boat and with all the over priced boats right now i may be looking at getting a 23 and having it fully redone: restrung, floor, re configure the interior with dinnete and standup head, full paint out or regel, podded and repowered. Im not handy with that stuff but i have a few trades lined up that do these restorations on the regular. And the ecodiesel is a great vehicle but is limited to towing weight. However it is so darn efficient when towing its capabilities.

I may have a 26' for you to finish off if interested, the worst is all complete :) Also comes with a mint trailer...

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/23-26-hourston-project-commenced.76711/

Back