Help me spend/save my money

bigdogg1

Okay, so stuff happens. We had another fantastic year on the water - great fishing etc. Over the last 6 months or so, we decided to move into a different boating direction; one that allows for more overnighting and cruising. Therefore boat is about to go for sale (23 Striper, 250 Yamaha, 9.9 kicker with remote 2x Lowrance trailer etc).

So we make detail the specs and make on last trip down the canal to Franklin. Awesome. Come home at 4500 rpm and motor shuts itself off. Finally get to a mechanic weeks later - cam sensor gone (replace and fail), oil sensor gone (replace and fail)...play in flywheel...main bearings gone. Needs new upper unit WTF (researched forums and found this not that rare - wow.

So, help me decide. Lots of great experience here. Still planning to sell boat but now have decisions to make:

1. Repair motor (< 400 hrs but out of warranty). Quoted 15-20K
2. FInd 'quality' used motor (have found a used 225(~ 650 hrs) - quoted around 23K all in to re and re
3. Install new -quoted 36K all in
4. Put up boat, trailer kicker, etc as is and new owner can repower as desired

I realize that at the end of the day, I will be out $.

If I repair motor or buy used, I will be out 20-23K and wonder about the power

If I repower with new, I have piece of mind to use the boat for a few years an give some a great deal when it sells because motor will be barely used and likely under warranty.

If I put the unit up sans main power, how much does this drop the value beyond simply a need for main power ie does it drop past the 20-23K to hang something on the back so a new owner can simply turn a key and go?

Appreciate all your thinking as always.

Okay, so stuff happens. We had another fantastic year on the water - great fishing etc. Over the last 6 months or so, we decided to move into a different boating direction; one that allows for more overnighting and cruising. Therefore boat is about to go for sale (23 Striper, 250 Yamaha, 9.9 kicker with remote 2x Lowrance trailer etc).

So we make detail the specs and make on last trip down the canal to Franklin. Awesome. Come home at 4500 rpm and motor shuts itself off. Finally get to a mechanic weeks later - cam sensor gone (replace and fail), oil sensor gone (replace and fail)...play in flywheel...main bearings gone. Needs new upper unit WTF (researched forums and found this not that rare - wow.

So, help me decide. Lots of great experience here. Still planning to sell boat but now have decisions to make:

2. FInd 'quality' used motor (have found a used 225(~ 650 hrs) - quoted around 23K all in to re and re

If I repower with new, I have piece of mind to use the boat for a few years an give some a great deal when it sells because motor will be barely used and likely under warranty.

If I put the unit up sans main power, how much does this drop the value beyond simply a need for main power ie does it drop past the 20-23K to hang something on the back so a new owner can simply turn a key and go?

Dam that’s tough. I would offer for sale without any power and a simple Lowrance or Garmin special for 4-500. Replacing a good 9.9hp is expensive so I’d keep it. If you have HDS units I’d keep them and the network for the new boat.

If it sells great, if not pick up a boat show special or a used unit that someone replaces their power over the off season. Keep in touch with the main outboard dealers on the west coast.

I wouldn’t put parts and labour into an old engine or spend 23k on a used.

I’ve seen Suzuki medium size engines for good prices in the US. https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bpd/d/hillsboro-new-in-stock-250hp-25-shaft/7533564753.html

At 400 hrs that engine is hardly used.
I would have a reliable mechanic quote you on a new powerhead and proceed in a rebuild.
The boat without power will only get a fraction of its real value.
JMHO
agreed. and get a few opinions. 20 k for repairs, even that involved, seems criminal. if it’s a 2301 it’s still a 60 k plus boat at the end of the day

You don't say what year the boat and motor are,that would make a difference as to what it's worth after rebuild or repower.If you don't plan on keeping the boat,I can't see repowering with new paying off for you.

Thanks for these ideas. Here is a draft of a write-up that was about to go to press so to speak. Might give more detail to the discussion. BTW disregard the info re the main power - so much for engine diagnoses :confused:

Attachments

• 2005 Seaswirl Striper 2300 WA.pdf
    111.2 KB · Views: 114
do dealers not have actual mechanics? this is not rocket science to put bearings in a engine, at 300 hours seams very unlikely

This is US dollars, but will give you a rough idea if you add 35%
seems to me $20K is on the high side

Thanks Scott. Waiting to hear back from a mobile tech that has a really good rep around my area. His suggestion is to pull the power heads check for any other issues then install a long block. Waiting for that quote. Just searched for these for blocks for my engine and ball park was 10-11K USD plus shipping - sure sets a high starting point. Thanks again

Can you please post some pics of the boat? It would be nice to know the condition and age to evaluate the value of the hull. Those boats in working condition probably range from 50-75k on the used market depending on condition

sell as is. take a bath. you dont need the boat anymore. just get it gone and done with.
at the end of the day boats are toys. if the toy doesnt work no point grudgingly spending thousands of dollars to fix it only to have someone come and take it. you will never recover the costs of repairs on sale anyway. offer as is where is. take what you get. deduct cost of repairs from sale price and offer it for that amount. so if you were pricing it at $70K offer it for $50K OBO and take $45K and get rid of it.

yes i know this comes from someone who has a kf1825 priced at $85K but there is a difference between i want it gone vs i just want it on the market and dont want to sell. you want it gone. so get to it and move on with life.

Last edited:
Can you please post some pics of the boat? It would be nice to know the condition and age to evaluate the value of the hull. Those boats in working condition probably range from 50-75k on the used market depending on condition
Sure thing. Will look for more. Boat is at shop still until I decide power issue 🤔

Attachments

• 2A9E9A05-92FF-4D4F-94BE-BD12056B6688.jpeg
    2A9E9A05-92FF-4D4F-94BE-BD12056B6688.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 4C7BB1D1-B8D2-45A5-B1C6-C91BEEA72CEA.jpeg
    4C7BB1D1-B8D2-45A5-B1C6-C91BEEA72CEA.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 6307BC0B-9BB3-46FF-AC24-E6886AE47234.jpeg
    6307BC0B-9BB3-46FF-AC24-E6886AE47234.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 103
  • F12AE287-FB74-495A-B433-68DC51B9F7EE.jpeg
    F12AE287-FB74-495A-B433-68DC51B9F7EE.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 8E2F5738-7789-465E-A8F8-48AF1D252F1E.jpeg
    8E2F5738-7789-465E-A8F8-48AF1D252F1E.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 928B5F46-A7B6-4978-9D71-2D96CD179536.jpeg
    928B5F46-A7B6-4978-9D71-2D96CD179536.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 9224A888-EEF4-418E-B1FF-FC007E0A7FC3.jpeg
    9224A888-EEF4-418E-B1FF-FC007E0A7FC3.jpeg
    482.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 9CD95655-8843-4EF8-9269-38951C61FAB5.jpeg
    9CD95655-8843-4EF8-9269-38951C61FAB5.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 114
It’s worth $5000. I’ll bring cash and pick it up from the shop for you.

just my 2 cents worth
if you like the hull and want to keep it for 10 years repower with new motor and do not under power if anything over power like i have done all my born days alls us guys and gals too like power

just my 2 cents worth
if you like the hull and want to keep it for 10 years repower with new motor and do not under power if anything over power like i have done all my born days alls us guys and gals too like power
That is the EXACT issue I am pondering. Love the hull and the way it fishes. Fantastic boat for what it is. However, we had literally just decided to move to a more pocket cruiser/pilot house style of boat. So now, the reality is that this is truly a First World issue - Repower with new and be content for 'x' years or simply sell it as is and move forward. I am not sure that hanging used power makes much sense anymore (at least not at the $ figures I have been given). Most if the used products have ended up being close to 2/3 the cost of new so I figure may as well go all in and get the backing a warranty.

dude youve decided to move on. just do it instead of agonizing about repowering a crappy old boat with a new engine.
wtf. some people. what the heck are you pondering ?
you have crappy boat with bad engine. do you (a) waste a huge chunk of change and several years using the crappy old boat or do you (b) get a shiny new pocket cruiser and go explore/enjoy life while youre still alive and in good health.
why do you think i took the plunge and bought a 40 foot transoceanic capable yacht ? (of course, i kept my old boat as well since i need something for BC but thats a different story...)
i guess you can technically do (c) - repower old boat with new engine AND buy shiny new pocket cruiser but if that was the case you wouldnt waste time pondering the finances of the situation and would have done it already. you can be me and have a fleet if you want.

Last edited:
Back