20' or 23' Hourston - PLESAE HELP

This is controversial - but the Hourston 23' is a poorly designed boat.

For most of us, we wait all winter to get our boats in the water - why the hell do I spend all my time driving hunched over in the helm locked inside the cabin.

An once inside it's cramped with little room to move around or stand up straight. You can't even stand up and drive...

And when it comes to fishing you now need a second helm and second set of electronics. Either that or some poor sap needs to spend his day inside the cabin while the boys are fishing on the back deck. NEEDING a second helm on a boat <25' is silly.

Sure they handle well, but usability and design they are not even close to the best thing out there.
I agree with you" Rum Buddies". This is what i did to my 1972 23 foot Hourston.

Attachments

• interior.jpeg
    interior.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 101
  • interior1.jpeg
    interior1.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 99
I will say whatever you get a boat for and decide "re fit" it plan on whatever purchase price is double it or even triple it by the time dust settles and ALOT of time. with the way fishing is going be cautious, lots of boats are and will come up that are basically ready to go.

Just for giggles ill show you what a client said to me Boat $75,000 all his maintenance, insurance, time,oil,bait etc he figured 5,000 grand a year so total 95 grand. so he figured 20 trips out a year so he did math. for that year he had his boat for 4 years . so at 100 trips that works out to everytime you take boat out it was $950.00 a day and that doesnt include alot of things like a lost downrigger ball,clip,gear etc
He said it was cheaper to hire me for 10 days a year show up and fish no cleaning up get fish filleted and then drive home as he splits the day with his 2 buds at 250 a day... of course the lower purchase price and more trips the math will change but if you buy a ****** boats and you have to sink more and more money and time into it then it becomes more work then hassle..

BOATS stand for one thing and one thing only BRING OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND. LOL

Definitely pod it, get a full depth pod that follows the hull on the bottom, boat will ride better and won't porpoise. Had two different boats with Armstrong pods not full depth pods and hated how it made the boats perform, I'm used to running a euro transom which would have similar performance characteristics to a positive buoyancy pod that goes all the way down following your hull lines. Doesn't need to go all the way out to side of boat just wide enough to hold your main and a kicker balance of width aluminum swim grid. That design will enhance low speed planing, support the engine weight better at rest and remove weird engine spray at various speeds.

Anyway you slice it boat mods are going to dig into your wallet might as well do it right so your happy with the end result :)

I can share with you my experience. We podded a 20' DE. Great west coast boat. It handles weather, the hardtop gives us shelter and most importantly the boat catches fish. I would most certainly like more room.....I stood on the dance floor of Exflyguys 26' Hourston and I was ready to sell our boat. The problem is if we go too big we can't afford to fish as often as we currently do. As far as a DIY project.......refitting a boat is a big job. Definitely do not notch the transom. Even if you are a master with fiberglass and paint you still won't be as happy as if you podded it. Some guys like the step up design but I'm with Ucluelet Charters.......hull extension is the way to go. As far as economics go it is much cheaper to go and buy a turn key boat. Even if someone gives you the hull and even if you get a great deal on that OX66 (great motor but fuel pig by the way) there is no way that you will get this thing up and running with necessary safety gear, electronics etc for under $25,000. You can forget about boating this summer because everything takes time and lots of it. You mentioned in a couple of your posts that you are trying to do this within a tight budget and honestly if that is the case I wouldn't do it. With an old boat you are going to come up against various surprises and obstacles and the only solution will be to open up your wallet it's just the way it is.

However, if you love a project are patient and don't mind spending every minute of your spare time working on the boat over the winter these old boats are gorgeous, safe, and attract a lot of positive comments. In my opinion to do it right a realistic budget is about $50,000 to turn one of these old classics into a turn key gas and go pleasure/fishing boat. Once the dust settles you can be assured that you couldn't get half of that back if you tried to sell it. It's a tough pill to swallow and you should have your eyes wide open going in.

FYI if you go ahead with this keep your wife in the dark as much as possible, it's better for everybody. No woman could truly understand the insane amount of money that a man is willing to throw at a fishing boat.

Sorry to be a downer.

Brian

There's a 20 ft Hurston hard top on here for sale, already podded and at what seams a decent price. Should be more pics to narrow down things.

HM

Thats a nice boat I had a custom 19.5 that hourston built for something that never got used (soft top) and my boss at lodge got it somehow I used it for many many years had a custom pod on it with a 115 yammy thing flew and LOVED it hence why I got a 26 footer that I presently own. For that price thats a great buy better then working on a boat.

Back