17 double eagle pod question

buzzbomb

my boat is a 17 ft outboard model. Been thinking on closing in the transom and cutting out the back jump seats and motor well to open up more deck space. This is not so much a question about the pod it self but more has any one done this, is it better to cut the whole transom out or just fill in from were motor sits and up? The transom, stringers and floor have been done and are solid still as this boat has been stored inside since new. Be nice to not have to see water splashing into the motor well any more.

I'm not sure I would bother buzz bomb, that is a lot of work for a bit more room. I owned a 176 DE inboard that was prodded by Jenkins marine. Great boat, 5' of fishing platform from back curtain to inside of transom. Previous owner had sunk a pile of money into that boat and getting rid of the doghouse made enough sense to him to do it but to pod an outboard boat already? I'm not sure I would do it to be honest, especially if this boat is as clean as you say. Also have to consider motor weight being moved aft, I have a buddy with a podded 176 that he hung a 150 yam 4 stroke off and man is that boat aft heavy, but I'm not sure if his pod follows boat bottom or not.

GnB

If you haven't already... you can take out your sleeper seats and put in a couple of bucket seats. This will gain you some space on deck.
I'm with GNB. I'm not sure you will get your moneys worth in space and may create further issues. I have not seen a 17ft DE podded. Makes more sense if you are converting from inboard.
I own a 17.5 ft DE now with OB. Had a 16 ft DE with OB before this one. Before that had a 15 ft Sangster that I took out sleepers and put in 2 swivel seats.
That 15 fter had lots of space created from the seat removal.

Good luck.
Love to see some photos and update if you do go for pod.

Tips

I hear ya guys and really I agree. This boat means a lot to me as I complete rebilt it, nothing is original and yes I did do the padistal seat conversion. I also put a brand new 90 and 8hp on it, new trailer,top and all elec and rigging. I just can't get rid of it but at the same time can't stand the water blowing into the bilge. I know it didn't hurt anything as I am a marine mechanic and work on all kinds of boats but it bugs me. Wish I could post pics to show all the work.

Looks like you did a great job, all the little things look awesome.

Last edited:
Thank you, can't wait to get it to Nooka at the end of the month. Look forward to the run down to Hanna Channel from Gold River.

Great looking boat. You have done a really good job!
Love the seats. Makes me want to go home and rip my sleepers out.

Wow, that is a gorgeous boat. I am a huge double eagle fan and have been contemplating selling my Campion 190 CC so I can get a DE 18'6" as a winter restoration project. I was trying hard to come to terms with the fact that it would be a long and impossible task and then I found this thread. Grrrr

Chris

Interested to know what seats you used?
I like that the back ones are removable.

Also interested to know what you have mounted in the motor well?

Thanks

Back