17’ hourston pod idea

Fishin

Just a thought, not sure if this is a stupid idea or not, I love my 17’hourston it’s a factory outboard with a fresh 2022 115, I was planning on getting the transom done next winter it still seems super solid but it’s an 89 so It’s probably due what I’m thinking is if I go ahead with the transom I could pod the boat to get more room, box in the motor well gain some storage as well. I’ve added a fair amount of weight with the 115 and 8hp kicker sits fine in the water but more room Is always nice. thinking a full width pod/hull extension would make it ride like a bigger boat and also give a little more floatation? Anyone ever podded an outboard boat? I think it would be pretty sweet. Ideas are free until you buy them I suppose just a thought I had today. I could always just buy a different boat but I’ve got tons of money into this one and 2 new motors plus I really like the boat.

Last edited:
Just a thought, not sure if this is a stupid idea or not, I love my 17’hourston it’s a factory outboard with a fresh 2022 115, I was planning on getting the transom done next winter it still seems super solid but it’s an 89 so It’s probably due what I’m thinking is if I go ahead with the transom I could pod the boat to get more room, box in the motor well gain some storage as well. I’ve added a fair amount of weight with the 115 and 8hp kicker sits fine in the water but more room Is always nice. thinking a full width pod/hull extension would make it ride like a bigger boat and also give a little more floatation? Anyone ever podded an outboard boat? I think it would be pretty sweet. Ideas are free until you buy them I suppose just a thought I had today. I could always just buy a different boat but I’ve got tons of money into this one and 2 new motors plus I really like the boat.
Go full hull extension. If you have the skills to glass that would be a great set up. Essentially making your boat 32 inches longer. Myles did it to his 20, thread here on his build.
or make transom height to follow deck and aluminum bracket with full swim grid. Personall with a aluminum bracket I would have it stepped but that is a personal choice. Arguments on stepped and following the hull both have advantages and disadvantages. I prefer stepped

Unless you're capable of doing the glass work, it will be an expensive job.
the whole back end of the boat will need rebuilding.
The reason I.O. podding is so popular is the simplicity of the job
once the I.O. is removed.
JMHO

find an I/o boat and do the work while you enjoy your current boat then transfer everything over. with a 115 and 9.9 i would say full float style aluminum bracket. Switched from tapered on my 18 and would never go back the smaller hulls need the lift in the stern with all that weight shifted out off the transom. I plane significantly quicker and at slower speeds and have actually gained fuel economy.

find an I/o boat and do the work while you enjoy your current boat then transfer everything over. with a 115 and 9.9 i would say full float style aluminum bracket. Switched from tapered on my 18 and would never go back the smaller hulls need the lift in the stern with all that weight shifted out off the transom. I plane significantly quicker and at slower speeds and have actually gained fuel economy.
I think that's the consensus from all these pod projects. Small boat, make it bigger with full floatation. Big boat, step and taper to reduce drag and save some fuel.

Unless you're capable of doing the glass work, it will be an expensive job.
the whole back end of the boat will need rebuilding.
The reason I.O. podding is so popular is the simplicity of the job
once the I.O. is removed.
JMHO
I appreciate it, that’s the sort of input I was looking for, I’m fairly capable but realistically I could build a different hull for the same money or even less.

Thanks for the advice that’s the info I was looking to hear, I have a 115 25” command thrust merc do you think it would work on an 18’ with a pod or be way under powered? 18’ hourston would be ideal for me

Thanks for the advice that’s the info I was looking to hear, I have a 115 25” command thrust merc do you think it would work on an 18’ with a pod or be way under powered? 18’ hourston would be ideal for me
Would be underpowered on an 18’ imo. They are deep heavy hulls for their size. 17 with pod 115 would be good.. fuel is not getting any cheaper.

Would be underpowered on an 18’ imo. They are deep heavy hulls for their size. 17 with pod 115 would be good.. fuel is not getting any cheaper.
The 115 HP merc w/CT gearcase is comparable to 150hp Yamaha. Should be perfect. Brando's boat runs really nice with his new pod.

sorry to barge in on this topic but i too have an '86 hourston '17 with a new 115 merc which i lifted 5"on a bracket to suit my transom...a sandbag either side of the bow fuel tank and bobs your uncle...until i bring along 3 large friends...that requires serious intervention on the part of the trim tabs...which on a small hourston is a bit like balancing on a knife...my question is : would a 30"ish x 36" ish wide pod -that follows the hull add some lift to the rear ? would i likely still have the balance problems ?
thx...im sure there are folks that have been there/done that ;))

Last edited:
here’s some pictures of mine, went from a single bracket for main/kicker/small boarding platform to this, night and day improvement at rest it’s up probably 2-2.5” higher in the stern and doesn’t squat at all getting on plane anymore. I already had a bow tank before and now feel like the boat is balanced out far better. Didn’t have time to document the switch very well too short on time.
C9E10AC5-A14B-45D2-931C-D886A7D14932.jpeg
0DE4B7DF-F96C-4183-B3F7-A1695017FE90.jpeg
56839EDF-2E48-4FD5-ABA1-52A6C59A6C6C.jpeg

Damn-- Thats NICE !
here’s some pictures of mine, went from a single bracket for main/kicker/small boarding platform to this, night and day improvement at rest it’s up probably 2-2.5” higher in the stern and doesn’t squat at all getting on plane anymore. I already had a bow tank before and now feel like the boat is balanced out far better. Didn’t have time to document the switch very well too short on time.
View attachment 81935
View attachment 81936
View attachment 81937

View attachment 81935
View attachment 81936
View attachment 81937
That looks perfect! Do you have drawings for that pod? Maybe you paid for the design, and would like to recoup some of that cost??
I have a 1984 17ft Hourston with an AQ170 that I want to Snyder and pod. The reason I'd like to do that boat in particular is because it predates the 17.2 hull which got a bit wider, which for me took something away from the ride quality.

That looks perfect! Do you have drawings for that pod? Maybe you paid for the design, and would like to recoup some of that cost??
I have a 1984 17ft Hourston with an AQ170 that I want to Snyder and pod. The reason I'd like to do that boat in particular is because it predates the 17.2 hull which got a bit wider, which for me took something away from the ride quality.
No drawing, I designed and built it myself. Very happy with the results.

sorry to barge in on this topic but i too have an '86 hourston '17 with a new 115 merc which i lifted 5"on a bracket to suit my transom...a sandbag either side of the bow fuel tank and bobs your uncle...until i bring along 3 large friends...that requires serious intervention on the part of the trim tabs...which on a small hourston is a bit like balancing on a knife...my question is : would a 30"ish x 36" ish wide pod -that follows the hull add some lift to the rear ? would i likely still have the balance problems ?
Balancing problems come from your deep V. It will always like to roll when unevenly loaded - just the nature of such beast. If you are looking for more side to side stability you'll need a lower deadrise.

given its age once yours into it seems like it would be a major project, Like what happens when your into it and the stingers look soaked, gonna keep going with the pod with soaked stringers or end up getting into that.

might end up with a lawn ordainment unless your handy with lots of time.

I would love to see it tho

Yes it would still have balance problems. Putting a pod on doesn't fix that. Been there done that.

Back