Nanaimo Area

I heard north Texada is smoking hot.....just curious...how long a run is that from Comox?
About 30 mins.

Funny how you guys think Comox is on fire yet I am reading and posting on the Nanaimo thread for the first time I think ever. Cause we are jealous of your really hot start to the season.

Guess the fish go wherever the bait holes up from year to year.......

Seems like the bait likes mid-island in 2013........

Its good year for the inside, with fish been caught from CR right down through porlier pass. Nanaimo has been on fire but has seemed to cool down the last couple of days. Lots of coho holding in different areas, snake island, thrasher and fingers. With the odd fish still being caught in the high teens if your patient. The gear of choice seems to be green glow or UV anything with the size being smaller.

French creek was really hot over the last couple weeks. Tons of coho hitting at every depth on Irish cream and kitchen sink spoons. Sangster and young point also giving up some nice fish. For coho the green roof at Columbia beach to the white doors on the inside of the hump (150-180ft of water) has been very productive for coho and smaller springs. The bait has been thick and guys jigging have been doing well. Yesterday we hit only 7 fish but last Thursday we got into 32 fish in 3 hours!!

I'm from Powell River and have never scene the fishing like this in the past month. Along Texada north tip or east and west sides. Also Grants reef is hot my buddy had 9 keeps to the boat last night. It's been a great run with multiple tyee's even hooked into some coho on the weekend which is great to see.

...heavy sigh.... this is such a pleasant thread :D

Indeed... in my 6 years in Nanaimo, i have had one really good year and a few fish here and there on other years - this season really seems to be a good one all over the place from Texada to Gabriola (from what i have caught and can tell from reports).

Best year I ever had so far since I started fishing on ECVI.....years ago.

So much for global warming,climate change,over-fishing, smolt survival, sea-lice, infected farm fish, projected poor returns, Humboldt squid predation, DFO song-and -dance, undersea volcanic turmoil, and whatever else is on the list....

i honestly have done pretty well with 7 springs on my license this year already i better slow down or i will be tagged out on area 17 in no time :)

Thrasher this evening

How fishing out at thrasher does anybody no? How deep we're you and gear I was thinking about using spoons
Thanks

Outside Thrasher was good this evening on the tide change. 3 1/2 in coyote in a faded sort of army truck pattern (don't know the name) was working at 130 ft. Saw some nice looking arches at 50 ft but could get no bites on them.

Fished thrasher this past weekend for the silva bay derby with pretty good results on Saturday and slow fishing on Sunday, although I was trying for a big ling Sunday. Started off Saturday with a big spring which we lost. Had a glo bullet roll chovy at 88 feet buried in a brand new Scotty Clip on the tightest setting. Fish hammered the rod bent it over and just started peeling line, my wife grabbed it and went to slack the drag a little and it broke the fresh tied leader. We both felt a brief stint of hopelessness thinking it was our one shot at a contender for the derby. The depression ended abruptly when we both watched my bottom rod that I had been bottom bouncing take two quick hits and then just bend over dead weight style. Happy to say we landed our first ever Hali on our boat, a nice little fourteen pound chicken. Picked it up with a chartreuse ace high and chartreuse flasher. This combo also picked up a few springs for us, nothin over twelve pounds though, but did land one at 240 feet and 200. Fishing was a little slow, water held up though and the derby was a good time, won a amundson reel for the Hali, that I can't wait to try out.

Nice work Murph...good to see someone from the board pull down a prize.
We fished Thrasher from 8:00 to 1:30 and had a couple of unders to show for our efforts.
Boat ran well but lost a ball and clip when we had a cable malfunction...

sounds like the derby was a good showing...

Nice work on the hali !.I was stoked for ya when i heard that on the radio .derby was slow for us, couple shakers on the jughead teaser first thing and a 10 lber around 2p, sunday we fished thrasher, picked up and released a couple 5-,6 lbers at 130 feet on green & white silverhorde spoon.

Fished thrasher this past weekend for the silva bay derby with pretty good results on Saturday and slow fishing on Sunday, although I was trying for a big ling Sunday. Started off Saturday with a big spring which we lost. Had a glo bullet roll chovy at 88 feet buried in a brand new Scotty Clip on the tightest setting. Fish hammered the rod bent it over and just started peeling line, my wife grabbed it and went to slack the drag a little and it broke the fresh tied leader. We both felt a brief stint of hopelessness thinking it was our one shot at a contender for the derby. The depression ended abruptly when we both watched my bottom rod that I had been bottom bouncing take two quick hits and then just bend over dead weight style. Happy to say we landed our first ever Hali on our boat, a nice little fourteen pound chicken. Picked it up with a chartreuse ace high and chartreuse flasher. This combo also picked up a few springs for us, nothin over twelve pounds though, but did land one at 240 feet and 200. Fishing was a little slow, water held up though and the derby was a good time, won a amundson reel for the Hali, that I can't wait to try out.

Awesome Dave!! Seems to be a few Hali's turning up over that way!!

So thought i would post my first report and contribute. Went out Wednesday evening to the fingers and had a pretty good time. We lost a real nice one after about 10 minutes in the water. Then picked these ones up not long after. It was a busy 2 hours then died off. Oddly enough the 2 smaller ones pulled right off the clip with a good scrap to the surface, and the 2 bigger guys acted like shakers until we pulled off the clip them they both did 2 big runs. None the less it was a great night for us.photo.jpg

Sorry guys forgot the good stuff. All caught on the basics. Spacklebacks and irish creams. But the 2 biggies on the spackleback. Seemed to be the hottest that night. 120-130ft.

Nice catch there AD, were you fishing the tide change? I'll be heading out tomorrow afternoon, weathers supposed to be pretty good.

Back