Luhr-Jensen Manistee

ChilliSpoons

I have a couple of #3 Manistee spoons one is copper and the other a 50/50 copper/brass. Pretty cool looking spoons but I assume they need to be fished slowly.

Does anyone fish these spoons anymore?

C4ABA21D-0F50-4FDC-BBAB-882B70F48984.jpeg

These were the "bread and butter" lures for Coho when I commercial trolled back in the late 80's.We would run them on short 6' 50 lb. test leaders in the top 150 ft. of the water column in three colors,pink chartruse green and blue running 3 spoons then a flasher/hoochie then another three spoons, etc.Some days when we would pull the gear there would be coho only on one certain colour like pink for instance and then my skipper would get me to throw all pink Manestee's down and then we'd start to load up on fish.Then just like a switch went off,there'd be no more bitters,so back to the 3 colours again.Then only fish on the blue ones,so switch them all to blue.Sometimes this would go on all day.Other days it didn't seem to matter,but one thing is for certain,the coho love those Manestee's!I still use them to this day and find they sometimes outfish whatever I have down on the other side.As Stormtropper pointed out,keep an eye on the action of them beside the boat as the don't fish well when they're spinning,they're meant to wobble from side to side.They'd also pick up the odd big spring as an added bonus although not too often.

Depending on what the tide is doing, they can be trolled fairly quick. As long as they are not spinning or twirling, but simply swapping from side to side you are doing all right. I run the smallest up to a #3 when Chinook are on perch. All sizes for coho.
It still amazes me how much tackle you have. Wow!!!

It looks as if the Manistee is a F.S.T. turned around end to end.
Agree that a brass and chrome #3 manistee is a good Coho spoon.
Have yet to try it on Rainbows.

Back