Mooching Rod HELP!!

From some of the comments it sounds like they’ve improved them since the prototypes but the Rapala team brought a dozen of their mooching rods(believe they were still “prototypes” at the time) up to the lodge 5 or 6 years ago and only went home with a couple. They were snapping them setting it out of the clip.

Techniums are hard to beat at that price point. Just my 2c
You are 100% correct. I talked to the rep about that and there were a few different models with the same problem. They had a defect where they were wrapped to tight just above the connecting point and below the first eye on the top section. There were a lot of rods blown up on hook sets. The versions out now have had that problem fixed.

I am leaning towards a technium or possibly something decent in a 9'. I am in the process of rigging my boat and unsure if a 10'6 in a rigger would interfere with a diver rod on the same side.

10.5 ft is the way to go IMO. Best performance. Don’t really see advantage to 9 ft. My boat is 17ft. Never been an issue.

I've had Shimano Tolera rods which I thought were a bit stiff. I then got the ungly stick and thought it was a good rod for the money. That is now my back up rod with my GT4000 reels since upgraded to custom rods.

I was lucky and got some rods made for me by CFT inc (built in Victoria BC) and they are awesome but defiantly NOT cheap. Problem isn't the price,.....problem will be getting the time slot to build you a set. Fun part was the customization including, components, measurement and inlay of antique coins on the bottom of the rods that make them lucky hahaha. One I call "King George" and the other is "The Dove" which makes them feel like magic swords for the battle with the sea.

I would recommend ugly sticks until/if you decide to upgrade. They are soft enough to feel the fish but tough enough to take punishment.

Last edited:
can anyone recomend a 9' rod
Zebco’s Rhino Indestructible rod comes in a 9 foot version. Similar design to Ugly Stik, tip is solid fibreglass. Rod also has carbon fibre components. Rubber handle and rubber knob on butt. Been my go to trolling rods for years. Only wear has been eventual saltwater corrosion on the guides resulting in cracking of ceramic inserts. Easily fixed with replacement tip and glue gun. When the lower guides go, I replace the rod. I get about 5 years out of each one. It’s cheaper to replace these rods than to have them rebuilt.

Never broke one. Switched to these from TDRs that seemed to crack at the ferrules sooner or later. Lots of backbone, have withstood a number of seal attacks.

Very easy to “lift“ out of Scotty clips unlike longer, more supple rods. Easy rod for guests to use and lots of backbone to ease fish towards the net.

No bragging rights for these rods, they are not fancy and I have not paid over $100 for one. I save the Okumas for special occasions.

These rods were recommended by Berry’s Bait and Tackle.

It's nice to have options. I use a 9 and 11 typically. But if I could only own one it would be the 11. Bigger rods have a better feel. More shock absorbing so it's easier to keep the fish on, slightly easier to net with the 9. What I like is stacking with the 9 on the inside and the 11 on the outside.

Back