Mooching Rod HELP!!

jeffro9

Looking for rod recommendations to pair up with my Daiwa M-One mooching reel to be used on a downrigger in a 17 foot boat

Not looking to break the bank but also dont want junk.

Any suggestions? Just for weekend warrior use.
Does anyone have experience with a Luhr Jensen Legacy mooching rod?

Cant go wrong with the ever popular ugly stik so ugly you can beat a fish with it and it wont break.....LOL

For the price you can’t really beat an ugly stik like mentioned above, they’ll take lots of abuse and do everything you need, if you feel like spending more in the future definitely can’t go wrong with a Shimano technium I also really like the trophy titan 3106, the technium is only $50 more than that legacy rod it’s been proven to be a great rod over the years.

Last edited:
I’ve got a few different legacy rods. They have 2 models. The moocher and the moocher xt. The regular ones are similar to the technium and the XT are a parabolic design with a much slower action. The XT also has polished stainless eyes and it is a bit thicker than the normal ones.

I like this one....

I have one of the blue HC Okuma rods as my back up rods and they do work well so far. My first choice is definitely Shimano technium.

All I've used for the past 19 years are Technium's. They are beautiful things!

Do you guys think a 10'6 rod would be to long for a smaller 17 foot boat?
Good point. Not if it’s a centre console, or if someone is good on a long handle net. A buddy went to 9’ rods due to netting concerns with the 10’6 rods and a 6’ leader. Conventional boat design.

I preferred the 9' rods on our 17' boat, ugly stick were (and still are) great. Definitely a challenge when starting out to have the long rods and long leaders.

Do you guys think a 10'6 rod would be to long for a smaller 17 foot boat?
Ours are 10'-6" on a 17 foot Tyee. Just move back when the fish comes to the net. This Technium rod pays off if the fish decides to take another run - very forgiving with good action when you need it.

I preferred the 9' rods on our 17' boat, ugly stick were (and still are) great. Definitely a challenge when starting out to have the long rods and long leaders.
do you have a link or model of the ugly stick eveyone talks about?

I have used the ugly stick BWD 1101 rods fror 25 years and they have been great.
I do have a pair of Techniums now too which are really nice to catch a fish on.
However I prefer the shorter ugly stick for work with the downriggers. I would actually use them when fishin Sockeye hopefully this summer.

IMG_6396.jpg

Looking for rod recommendations to pair up with my Daiwa M-One mooching reel to be used on a downrigger in a 17 foot boat

Not looking to break the bank but also dont want junk.

Any suggestions? Just for weekend warrior use.
Does anyone have experience with a Luhr Jensen Legacy mooching rod?

From some of the comments it sounds like they’ve improved them since the prototypes but the Rapala team brought a dozen of their mooching rods(believe they were still “prototypes” at the time) up to the lodge 5 or 6 years ago and only went home with a couple. They were snapping them setting it out of the clip.

Techniums are hard to beat at that price point. Just my 2c

Back