Herring sale back on..JAN 25 FHKWC

The Herring sale is on for this Saturday January 25.

Just to let people who are interested.
The herring sale is a go for this Saturday 8:00a.m. to 4:00 ish p.m.
12740-Trites road in Richmond(Steveston)
cash only $15.00 per 20 lb. bag
and while it lasts Hake at $2.00 each or 3 for $5.00

This is confirmed.
You can go and see footage of last nites catch on their Facebook page which shows that they outsmarted
the sealions this time and better weather conditions .
Note: all money goes towards the kids ...not any government controlled agency
You can read all about it here:
http://www.fhkwc.ca/index.html

Thanks for your continued support.

Is there sales in Vic ?
Looks like there is but it's twice the price in Victoria. $15 only gets you 10lbs not 20lbs.. I guess it's on the first ferry so not available until 10am. Taking my pickup truck into downtown Victoria at 10am: hard pass.
I wonder how many cyclists will be riding around downtown with bags of herring dangling from their handlebars? :)
Screenshot_20200124-220305_Facebook.jpg

Really quiet in Steveston. They had it set up for big crowds but wasn't busy at all.

I got there at 10am and perhaps 3 others in line besides me. I think the raining weather and the fact this event usually happens in December before the Autism sale has to do with the low turnout. This year the Autism sale went before the Cancer herring event and lots of people turned out for it as it was sold out only a bit after it opened.

Wife came home in the middle of me bagging the herring into smaller portions and she had to open all the windows in the house.

The commercial crabbers must have a big fridge. Storing tons of herring till their season opens up in June. My freezer is filled with herring. Hopefully I can use them instead of paying for expensive bait during late summer for South arm fishing.

I've picked out the small to medium sized herring. The large ones in the bag are way too big to be used whole. The mediums sized ones are about 7". I am wondering if I need to vacuum seal the ones I plan on using as bait or will they be OK in a zip lock bag from now till Aug/Sept when I plan on using them at north/south arm.

I've picked out the small to medium sized herring. The large ones in the bag are way too big to be used whole. The mediums sized ones are about 7". I am wondering if I need to vacuum seal the ones I plan on using as bait or will they be OK in a zip lock bag from now till Aug/Sept when I plan on using them at north/south arm.
I would vacuum seal them to maximize freshness. One less thing for those picky chinook to complain about!

Anyone eat these things? I was talking to a commercial fisherman about trying to grill or pickle some and he looked at me like I was crazy.

Anyone eat these things? I was talking to a commercial fisherman about trying to grill or pickle some and he looked at me like I was crazy.

I tried frying a few up last year on frying pan with oil until they were crispy. Best do it outside if you can.. It really stinks up the place for hours. The taste was not to my liking. I think if you deep fry them until they are really crispy it may taste better.

I tried frying a few up last year on frying pan with oil until they were crispy. Best do it outside if you can.. It really stinks up the place for hours. The taste was not to my liking. I think if you deep fry them until they are really crispy it may taste better.
Apparently they were flouring and deep frying them there but I didn't get a chance to try any. I love smelts that way but man do these guys ever have a smell. Like you said though if it's crispy it'll give it it's best shot.

Apparently they were flouring and deep frying them there but I didn't get a chance to try any. I love smelts that way but man do these guys ever have a smell. Like you said though if it's crispy it'll give it it's best shot.

I agree with you. I love deep fried smelt as well. But even when the smelts are raw they do not have the strong fishy smell which herring has. I also find herring too oily of a fish. But the oil on them is likely why the seagulls, sea lions, salmon like them as the oil content helps fatten them up.

Roll Mops. Either you love them or hate them. I love them. Grew up eating them. European Dad. He had them in the house all the time. Even better with an ice cold frosty. With home made pickles and home made pickled onion. Usually wait at least two weeks before cracking a jar of them open after putting them in pickling jars. Taste and texture gets better after more time pickled.

20181202_152101.jpg

20181204_225235.jpg

47575370_522006964967547_89314012424044544_o.jpg

Back