2024 Steveston Herring Sale

Ok, I bought a 20 lb bag to pick up at 11:00…what do I do with 20lb of herring?

Ok, I bought a 20 lb bag to pick up at 11:00…what do I do with 20lb of herring?
I get 4 bags.
I sift thru them and use about 15-20% of the smaller pretty ones & make a bunch of salmon worthy trays. This year I fished herring way more than chovy and if anything my results were better.
The big lunkers I use for cod. I usually fish herring and jigs equally for cod, with equal success.
Then the rest gets chopped up and mixed with prawn pellets or somewhere in the mix for crab bait.
Takes me about 4 hours and 3 beers to complete the task. Under $100 for probably close to $1k retail in today’s world. I may buy a tray of anchovy (or two or 5…) during the season but I pretty much don’t buy bait all year except for this.

I get 4 bags.
I sift thru them and use about 15-20% of the smaller pretty ones & make a bunch of salmon worthy trays. This year I fished herring way more than chovy and if anything my results were better.
The big lunkers I use for cod. I usually fish herring and jigs equally for cod, with equal success.
Then the rest gets chopped up and mixed with prawn pellets or somewhere in the mix for crab bait.
Takes me about 4 hours and 3 beers to complete the task. Under $100 for probably close to $1k retail in today’s world. I may buy a tray of anchovy (or two or 5…) during the season but I pretty much don’t buy bait all year except for this.
Good tips, thanks! I’ll start with 20 lbs this year and see how much gets used

Would you know if we can pre purchase on the island? I have not found any links. Best Regards
Negative sir. You have to buy a ticket and lineup in the vehicle line. Go through the lineup and they toss one 20 lb bag per ticket in your vehicle.

This is what 40lbs looks like flat frozen. It's a very mixed bag. Some large, alot of mediums and some smalls. The more bags you get the. More smalls you get.

20230121_144300.jpg

Last edited:
Back