2024 Steveston Herring Sale

I was going to fillet some, but one whiff of that bag and NOPE! Ah well. This is how I turn $40 in herring and $40 of pellets into 7000 prawns.
I’m inspired to do the same. Might chop up the herring though and mix all together? Add Carlyle and/or herring oil? Hmmm. Might need to double bag the vacuum sealed bags with that stench

Last edited:
Do you dump a little herring oil in there with it? Do you just toss the herring in the cavity of the square traps along with a bait jar?
I’m inspired to do the same. Might chop up the herring though and mix all together? Add Carlyle and/or herring oil? Hmmm. Might need to double bag the vacuum sealed bags with that stench
I used to chop it up and add oil yes. My new bait cans are tall enough for whole herring though so this was just less work. Don't bother with the catfood, it's redundant. I have the oil on board and sometimes I'll just squirt a little on top of each can before they go down. I'll for sure add more oil if I'm reusing the bait on a second drop.

I used to chop it up and add oil yes. My new bait cans are tall enough for whole herring though so this was just less work. Don't bother with the catfood, it's redundant. I have the oil on board and sometimes I'll just squirt a little on top of each can before they go down. I'll for sure add more oil if I'm reusing the bait on a second drop.
A chunk of pink salmon is better than cat food too

Great advice from @Marley on freezing the smalls before vac packing. Decided to put a couple dozen smalls outside to freeze. Unfortunately the dog had other ideas, ended up treating himself to over a dozen frozen herring treats, little bugger. But all was not lost, he threw up most of it in the middle of the night along with some dog food. So I collected it, put it in a bag, perfectly chopped, more than enough for 2 bait jars, will see if the prawns like it better than cat food. LoL, bad dog!IMG_0558.jpegIMG_0559.jpeg

Great advice from @Marley on freezing the smalls before vac packing. Decided to put a couple dozen smalls outside to freeze. Unfortunately the dog had other ideas, ended up treating himself to over a dozen frozen herring treats, little bugger. But all was not lost, he threw up most of it in the middle of the night along with some dog food. So I collected it, put it in a bag, perfectly chopped, more than enough for 2 bait jars, will see if the prawns like it better than cat food. LoL, bad dog!View attachment 101884View attachment 101885
That's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen 🤣

86 tons this year. The young lady who lost her life to cancer in this Global news story is the late daughter of a very close friend of mine. Him and his family are part of the group that started this whole thing. The boat and skipper have been catching the herring for free for this fundraiser since 2014. The news story said the event began in 2011, but I believe the skipper I mentioned has been doing it since 2014.

Last edited:
Back