Buying a new vehicle the easy way

sly_karma

Crew Member
Discussion in the Boat Is Paid Off thread touched on buying cars and trucks, I'll put in my two cents here without derailing the boatnthread further.

I'm a home builder so I'm used to the tendering and bidding process: put together a set of specs, a closing date and send it off to qualified bidders. This approach works well with major consumer purchases too.

First you decide what vehicle you want, through a combination of reading, test drives, experience with rental vehicles or friends' vehicles.

Second, develop a precise set of specs. Go to the maker's website and use their Build Your Truck page (or whatever they happen to call it) to "build" the exact vehicle you want. Most makers have a dizzying array of options and often they're bundled up in packages to make it more confusing. Take your time here, you definitely don't want to do this in person at the dealership. Most build pages update the total cost every time you add or remove an option; use this feature to determine whether it's better to add, say, heated seats as a standalone item or add a bundle that includes ten other items of varying importance to you. Eventually you'll settle on the truck/car and options you want and you'll have a clear overall MSRP cost. Save the build sheet as a PDF file; this is your set of specs to send out to tender.

Step 3. Look on the website to see if you qualify for any rebates or discounts such as seniors, veterans, electric vehicle, gas guzzler trade in, etc.

Step 4. While still on the website, look up dealers near you. Hopefully there are at least three within a driving radius that is acceptable to you for initial service and possible followup or warranty work. Grab the email addresses of all the dealerships within this 'comfort zone'. Write an email something like this:
"I am going to buy a new xxxx this week, see the attached pdf for details. The vehicle you propose to sell me must be exactly as specified or your bid will be discarded. At this time I have not decided about cash purchase or financing, nor whether to trade a vehicle or not. I am assessing bids solely on the basis of overall purchase price. Please send your best overall price including all fees and taxes by 5 pm mm/dd/yyyy. A purchase decision will be made and all bidders notified by 5 pm mm/dd+1/yyyy. Sincerely yours, etc."

Getting close now. Attach the build sheet to the email and send them off to dealers. I usually set the bid closing time so that dealers have 3 full business days to respond. Generally it is best to time it for end of the month as salespeople and sales manager are all striving to meet monthly targets. They'll be less hungry the first week of the month. Even better if you can defer purchase to December, January or February when sales are slower.

Some dealers will have questions or clarifications needed, you can respond to those at your leisure because you only gave email address, not phone number. Now at bid deadline you have a set of prices based on the elusive apples to apples comparison because your specs were precise. If you have a bid or two with some ifs and alternate scenarios clouding the bottom line price, you can either call the dealership for clarification or simply toss it aside because they're trying to confuse the issue.

Now just pick the low price. If you have a preferred dealer (local area, past loyalty, good service shop) but they aren't quite low bid, email them and ask if they'll price match. Attach the low bid offer.

Make the decision, call the dealer to confirm details and ask for a work order to be written up and emailed to you. Once this comes through and you've verified that the goalposts haven't moved, accept the offer by return email and notify the other bidders. Arrange with the dealer for a date and time to sign papers and take delivery.

Now you can disclose your intentions regarding financing (theirs or yours), trade in, etc. The key is to get them pinned down on total price first.

I've bought four vehicles this way now, securing discounts along the way that I never would have had the nerve to ask for in person. The smallest discount worked out to 15% below MSRP, and the best was almost 25% off - a Chev work truck with a retail of 48,800 sold to me for 37,500. In most cases my test drive was either months before or at another dealership entirely, making the process very much at arm's length with no chance for good guy softness on my part to weaken my position. Typically the first time they meet me is when I come in to sign papers on the deal, so I'm virtually invulnerable to sales guy pressure. Decisions made on my own time, with the ability to research and check facts.

I should note this approach works best for vehicles that are widely available and from makes that have lots of dealers. You're not going to get far using this system for a car or truck that is in hot demand like say Tesla at the moment. Anyway if you're like me and the whole dealership sales office process makes your skin crawl, try putting it out to tender as I've described. It gives you a lot more control.

Don't want to step on any toes.....

But...…

This is not the way to do it.

To start, who pays full retail on a large ticket items? I sure don't.

Dealers are like any other box stores. They build the specs you want, let you know what MSRP is, let you know what promotions are happening at that time and offer the vehicle to you for "X" number of dollars. At this point it is up to you to decide if this is a good price, or should you counter?

I could type dozens of pages about this, automotive has been my business for 41 years later this month.

Be smart, get to know someone, lots of people on the hunting/fishing forums I have helped over the last few decades. Getting to know someone in automotive is the same as knowing your boat guy, butcher, mechanic, banker etc!

See, right off the bat Sly...."Hot demand like Tesla"....everyone pays the same price, no discounts, no financing (might have changed in last week), certified funds, CC, etc.....no deal, lots of cars around to buy....but someone thinks it is a hot commodity.

I bet many of you or your parents all had a car guy. I am the car guy for many, going on third generation for some!

We don't bite, some are slime, but show me a business that doesn't have the odd bad apple!

Many dealerships in my area mark up a few thousand from MSRP and then act like they are giving people a deal when they come down to it.

i had many friends that worked as car detailers, parts guys, sales ect at dealerships.

Just like anyone that gets paid by commissions care sales people are right up there with people that will sell you mutual funds.

That’s not to say I have not had a good experience with car dealership. When I was young and poor I took my car in to get fix, take it to the dealership as it
One of thoes weird sensor/computer issues that most non dealerships won’t touch. Take it to the dealer they fix it when I’m paying get the bill the Old mechanic Walks out tells them to bill me the actual time it took to fix and not the book time. Ended up being hundreds of dollars cheaper.

maybe it was a snow job but it felt genuine and nice when I had almost no money and in collage while working at a mill.

I like your approach "SlyKarma",there is nothing I hate more than getting some dumb salesman running back and forth to his manager to answer questions and pretending he's giving me the best deal possible.Anything that will keep me away from a dealership and the scoundrels that work there is a win for me.No offense "Leaseman" but I think a lot of people feel this way.

But...…

Dealers are like any other box stores. They build the specs you want, let you know what MSRP is, let you know what promotions are happening at that time and offer the vehicle to you for "X" number of dollars. At this point it is up to you to decide if this is a good price, or should you counter?

I could type dozens of pages about this, automotive has been my business for 41 years later this month.

Be smart, get to know someone, lots of people on the hunting/fishing forums I have helped over the last few decades. Getting to know someone in automotive is the same as knowing your boat guy, butcher, mechanic, banker etc!

See, right off the bat Sly...."Hot demand like Tesla"....everyone pays the same price, no discounts, no financing (might have changed in last week), certified funds, CC, etc.....no deal, lots of cars around to buy....but someone thinks it is a hot commodity.

I bet many of you or your parents all had a car guy. I am the car guy for many, going on third generation for some!

We don't bite, some are slime, but show me a business that doesn't have the odd bad apple!
I'm still very good friends with my "car guy", whom you worked with. He became a good customer of mine and then great friends. He always treated me so good, getting me the vehicle i wanted without the excess markup and BS

My stepfather's car guy has been selling him cars for 30 years. Along with some useful vehicles, he has also purchased 2 pickups he didn't need, a van style camper he used once, and recently a new Cadillac Escalade. He drives about 100 km a month due to covid and age.

I’ve bought my last 2 vehicles on line - very easy way to do it. Always subject to viewing and test drive. In the case of a used vehicle, you can get a complete mechanical inspection report done before you make a decision.
Way better way than driving around from dealer to dealer.
My 2 cents
Stosh

just pay for the dealer cost price from carcostcanada or someplace, get the price the dealer paid and negotiate UP from there. used vehicle buy from private parties and take it to a mechanics for a full service and inspection before you buy. easy. done.

As a general rule, I aim to support family run business, who are in our local markets. This includes the dealer who is my "car guy", and his Dad was my Dad's car guy. This is a relationship that's reliable and works very well, even when I'm after an off brand, the car guy makes a call and its done.

To hold up my side of the deal, I steer friends and colleagues their way and that cuts tthrough any typical dealer bs, and then those folks create relationships of their own. Its old school I suppose but it has treated us very well over the years.

By the way, the guys you want to get to know very well are the parts managers. They see it all from both sides and ya, book time vs time spent, I would take time spent any day of the week.

Hey Karma, your approach is a good model to use if you insist on buying new and you’re in a “normal” market where supply and demand are in reasonable balance.

Not sure how things look up where you are but down here it is a screaming Seller’s market due to C-19... there is just NO inventory and dealerships laugh if you mention the word “nego”

I just bought a larger boat and knew that for safety and liability reasons, I had to belly up to the bar for a bigger truck. It took me 5 minutes to figure out even if I could stomach dealing with dealerships (yes, I know there are some good ones out there) I would not only end up paying a huge premium to get what I wanted but I’d probably have to wait longer then I wanted to wait to get it.

So I do use your approach....do a build sheet, figure out exactly what I want etc etc, but then I get on a car site like Autotrader or Carfax etc and start doing progressively larger and larger searches for either new or low miles on The truck I’ve targetted.

I have done this for my last two trucks. First one was a Nissan Titan XD that I found in Texas. It was in pristine condition with 10,000 miles of highway. It was the exact truck I wanted as far as trim. I picked up the truck for $40K, then paid a trucker $1.5K to bring it up from TExas to my doorstep. In my neighborhood, at that time, those trucks were selling for $55 K new (if you could find one)

Two weeks ago, I did that same drill again. REason: there was literally ZERO inventory on any of the lots where I live. I had several dealerships tell me their next 7 or 8 trucks that had been loaded on trains that were scheduled to arrive in the next few months were all pre-sold.....that was all I needed to hear.

Long story short, I found a 2020 F250, again, in TExas, with 5,000 miles. I wanted that new 7.3L gasser with the 10 speed and I wanted it in black. There it was sitting in a lot in TExas. I did not set the world on fire with price on the buy side: The price of truck delivery had gone north and the dealership in TExas knew that truck with low miles being a 2020 model in a seller’s market would not last long.... I grabbed it. By the time I got it to my doorstep, my savings amounted to the tax on the truck....approx. 10%. Better then a poke in the eye.

The good news—- a Seller’s market cuts both ways: I sold my Nissan Titan XD on Craigslist for $ 2K less then I paid for it 5 years ago. In a normal market? .....no way

Just thought I’d mention another approach.....and..... my F250 still has that “new” smell....

And the best news of all....I wasn’t sure it would fit under my camper when I pulled the trigger....my camper’s built to sit on a 1/2 ton or smaller....

I was thrilled to see the F250 fit under the camper just like it knew exactly where it had wanted to be all its life....

IMG_20201003_153647.jpg

Last edited:
Interested to hear what you think of Ford’s 7.3L “Godzilla” gasser once you have a few miles on it Sharphooks. The F250 Tremor w/ that motor is definitely on my list of possible next vehicles.

Cheers!

Ukee

Several variations here on the central theme: stay away from the dealership. Nowhere in my OP did I state that they're all crooks or words to that effect, but I definitely believe it's very difficult to make good judgements live and in person. There are so many variables, I need time to sort through the options, assess, research and cost them. The whole salesperson trotting back and forth to the sales manager's office routine is a big charade and a waste of everyone's time. I'd rather spend that time carefully weighing the options instead of being pressured into upgrading to packages of gimmicky doodads I don't need.

Without disrespect to @leaseman, I've never paid MSRP on a new vehicle. I know what MSRP is, it's right there on the build sheet. Some dealers respond with a bid at the exact MSRP, and that's their prerogative. But every time there have been several other dealers that have offered 10-20% below MSRP of their own volition. I asked for their best price, they responded. It's a simple, businesslike process that works well in a "normal" market.

And yes i agree our market isn't normal at the moment, that goes for almost any manufactured product. Tried buying a door and window package lately? Or kitchen appliances?

The other reason I avoid the dealerships is I'm not a rusted on fan of any particular make. In my business at present I have GM, Ford and Dodge trucks and vans, and as a family we've owned Toyota, Honda, and Mazda as well as the US brands. When it's time to buy something, I look around and decide what is the best vehicle for me this year. There are dozens of factors in that decision and many are specific to the needs of my business or family. I want a completely free hand making those choices; if I have a Car Guy at one of the dealerships then I feel that in various ways I'm being steered toward that make, or less likely to get the best deal on a different make.

But...…

well said... Its about relationship I have gotten my last 3 vehical from the leaseman the last 8 years :) :)

Interested to hear what you think of Ford’s 7.3L “Godzilla” gasser once you have a few miles on it Sharphooks. The F250 Tremor w/ that motor is definitely on my list of possible next vehicles.

Cheers!

Ukee

I’ve only towed the boat with the F250 locally so can’t comment on how she tows at highway speeds. But I’ve done two fishing trips with the camper on her and so far, I’m impressed. Nissan Titan with the camper and the 5.6L under the hood got 10 mpg. The Ford F250 with the 7.3L gets 12.5 - 13 mpg. That’s a dramatic difference, testimony to how much progress has been made in engineering those bigger engines.

But for me, it’s all about the 10 speed TorqShift speed tranny. I’ve always been a shifty guy on the road, especially when I’m towing or carrying a payload and trying to keep my RPM’s up in hilly terrain. That 10 speed is silky smooth, definitely as good as the rave reviews it’s been getting. Plenty of power in the lower gears, though I’ll back off on final verdict until I’m towing the new boat to either Ucluelet or Port MacNeil....those two trips will tell the tale.

Last edited:
Glad to hear it, particularly the mileage w/ the camper, and look forward to an update once you’ve hauled on those stretches of highways (though maybe Hwy 4’s Hydro Hill will be a lot better by then?),

Cheers!

Ukee

Isn't this post like telling us how to catch a Tyee in June? Right now, most dealers have such low inventory due to covid factory shut downs and high demand. @leaseman would the original post even work right now? Second does this work for import brands as well as for domestic?

The problem I have found with boat dealers, car dealers, camera stores, is when they don't have exactly what you are looking for there is a tendency to lie, rather than say I don't know or answer "no we don't have what your looking". I think the root of the problem is with commission sales models, not the sales people, but not to digress.

A Greater Victoria boat dealership that had the rights listed on their website for the brand of boat I was looking for "I think the molds they make those with was burned up in a fire" when they are preparing for a boat show where one will be on demo in a few weeks. Car dealership "Yes, it has the towing capacity/safety feature" when they have no idea or are flat out wrong. Camera store "dive cases don't exist for digital cameras".What I hate is not only educating a salesperson after trying to buy local, but feeling like I'm arguing politics with Trump or Biden voter who knows America is the greatest democracy on earth. Hence 2 trucks bought off eBay(price) and 1 after flying into Williams lake (build and used price) and being picked up by the private seller.

I did broker my moms used Toyota Corolla this way so I think it is good advice when inventory is high and demand is lower. Right after Christmas. I'm thinking of trying to do a New Years eve purchase again this year.

I like Sky's approach and will use it this December or January when I most likely will buy a new vehicle mostly for driving around the city. I've always bought direct from dealerships in the past, I always go prepared with the knowledge of the msrp and any discounts available (eg used costco and current owner of the same brand etc.) I've just never come across any sales person I would trust to be my car guy. I do have my mechanic guy whom I always consult whenever I decide to buy a vehicle (new or used) and get his opinion on known issues with said vehicles. Of course leaseguy is going to disagree with the Sky's original post, lol. From my experience and those of family and many friends the "good car guys" are very few in a sea of slimeballs. kind of like fishing when everytime you check your line you've been slimed with jellyfish. jmho from my experiences.

We've only bought 3 new vehicles in 36 years of marriage. '88 Mazda pick up 8k, 2003 Toyota Matrix for 21k, and then I was surprised by how much below the window sticker MRSP I got for my basic F150 4 years ago. I paid 36 and the sticker said 47k. Cash. I don't enjoy dickering and didn't have much time to research as I almost needed to push my old vehicle into the lot to see if they could take it off my hands in trade, so I needed a truck that day.
Will they always come down 15 -30% on MSRP? Wife needs a new small SUV. Maybe Rav4.
The undercoating and extended warranty pitch is another painful part of the process. We say no to that stuff.

Back