Anchoring setup - lets hear what you have?

That diagram is good to give the general idea, but there are a couple of issues with it:
  • No chain on sea anchor (although it is in the note)
  • Tying of to the bow and stern cleat means the boat can't swing in tide and wind. And if it does, you will get the lines twisted. Use a snap shackle and swivel on the bow eye instead.
  • Pulling the boat out stern first would be difficult in any wind and waves

That diagram is good to give the general idea, but there are a couple of issues with it:
  • Tying of to the bow and stern cleat means the boat can't swing in tide and wind. And if it does, you will get the lines twisted. Use a snap shackle and swivel on the bow eye instead.

Also, the boat stern-out is more susceptible to swamping if the wind/waves are onshore.

the biggest obstacle i had was getting the anchor to set properly. i was losing light and tired and i kept dumping the chain all over the danforth and then trying to set the anchor, and the danforth wouldn’t dig in. when it finally dug in it was gold and i pulled it back out to sea no problem. per pine apples comments i agree and would never do this where there are waves. i set in a secluded bay.

20ft boat
22lb kodiak plow anchor
50 ft of chain
250ft of 1/2 double braid
Lewmar v700 windlass

Works great but if I changed anything it would be to go to just chain. Feeds way better then rope in the hypsey

Great information! Plugging away with my project today and I thought going through the hatch to stuff 200' of rode and 25' of chain through a 2" x 4" oval hole sounded dumb so I removed the anchor mount and am plugging holes. I was figuring throwing everything in a 20 Litre pail. Any better ideas?

Every year I do a 3 week trip on my boat and stay on the hook just about every night so a good anchor is important to me. When I first got the boat it had a delta plow anchor on it and I never really trusted it. Hooked up first try about 75% of the time but had to reset it the other 25%.
After doing a lot of research I decided on a 10 Kg Rocna with 30 feet of chain. It has always hooked up first time and has never dragged in the 9 years that I have used it. When backing down on it to set it, you will feel quite a jolt when the line tightens up and it digs in.
One night in Pirates cove, which is quite sheltered except from north winds, a strong north wind came up. There was about 15 boats there that night and all but two boats ended up dragging their anchors. I was one of the 2 that didn't drag and I was fortunate that I was upwind of everyone so no one got dragged into me.
Boat is a Searay 260DA 26 feet about 7500 lbs with fuel, water and gear.

There are some anchors that are better then others for sure, but I think the more important thing is the length/size of chain that makes the anchor hold better

Last edited:
Back