Bow Mounted Trolling Motor with Virtual Anchor

kaelc

I'm sold on the idea of a bow-mounted trolling motor for Anchoring over throwing the old anchor and chain over the side, to anchor for halibut. Having two young kids, the safety and time element, as well as a better ability to jig for ling cod etc is appealing. I like the idea of a Motorguide but they are newer to market with their saltwater version but they can tie into my Lowrance. Minn Kota's are proven but reliability is so-so. With either support is going to be important, has anyone gotten warranty work on either brand?

For batteries I'm looking at the new Mini LifePO4 batteries that are less than 19lbs each, again a little unproven but light and small so instead of adding 400lbs with AGM I should be under 150lbs for the whole package and I can find a place to mount them. Also it looks like you can add a 36-12v converter to use the batteries with your house bank?

It's a lot of money but selling my anchor and getting back time seems worth it to me. I chatted with a guy here on the island and he said using it in current, for halibut is fine and lots of guys swear by them. Open to arguments against it, but I would like constructive ideas too!

Hey Kaelc, Check out "thecrookedpilothouse" on youtube he uses his spot lock feature on the minn kota to hover over reefs down south. He has a fairly large boat as well a nice parker. He also has a video of the install he did which looks pretty clean.

ive found bow mounted trolling motors to be kinda useless. the spot lock also drifts depending on satellite. the bow mount is heavy and weighs your bow down. the trolling mode on my tohatsu kicker is better.
I bought a dakota 24V battery for my haswing. then i uninstalled it.
a rod/power pole anchor like they use on bass boats is better than anchoring over the side. you can push the button to deploy/undeploy.

ive found bow mounted trolling motors to be kinda useless. the spot lock also drifts depending on satellite. the bow mount is heavy and weighs your bow down. the trolling mode on my tohatsu kicker is better.
I bought a dakota 24V battery for my haswing. then i uninstalled it.
a rod/power pole anchor like they use on bass boats is better than anchoring over the side. you can push the button to deploy/undeploy.
I’d like to see a 180ft+ long power pole.

We use the spot lock on our walleye boats in lakes and its a great feature,, but i keep telling you guys, ocean current and wind and fresh water lakes are two different beasts altogether. Even on windy days on a lake it can be a challenge for them to hold you never mind wind plus tide. I have never been anyplace on the chuck where I would say with any confidence that spot lock would hold you even remotely on spot very many days out of the year. And a good salt ready unit with twin batteries is not cheap, its not a cheap experiment to find out what I’m telling you and that is it won’t work. Fully rigged 24v 120 lb thrust salt unit with batteries is over $4000 installed. But its your money, do as you will.

Rhodans are popular in the south east. Guys running them on 30 foot Grady's with some success. Not sure if someone come out with a 36 to 12 converters but would be handy.

You guys ever seen what happens to lithium when dropped in water?
I’m no expert but the batteries I’m interested in are SOK marine specific LiFePO4 here is an “opinion” - “Even if subjected to dangerous handling, such as collision or short-circuiting, LiFePO4 batteries won’t rupture, explode or catch fire, which is vital consideration in marine applications.” https://www.epropulsion.com/post/lifepo4-battery/

I've used a Minn Kota extensively in salt water in Florida and loved it. I brought the boat and trolling motor to BC and found out the trolling motor is much less useful than I expected.

First the currents in Florida tend to be either constant for the day (Gulfstream) or simple tidal ones in shallow water.

Around Victoria we've got deep water with complicated currents and winds that are constantly changing. That makes it tougher (but not always impossible) for the spot lock to work properly.

Second there is way more debris in the water here to hit with the trolling motor.

Third the spot lock does not like a swell. Florida basically never has a swell when there isn't a hurricane while around BC lots of places can have a significant swell and still be very pleasant. I tried setting the spot lock in Renfrew on a nearly calm day with a 2m swell with a long period. The spot lock had a hissy fit and beat the water to a froth. It was trying to keep the boat exactly stationary when all the swell was doing is moving the boat a little one way on the up swell and then right back on the downswell. I just turned the trolling motor off and stayed closer to the spot with less noise and wasted energy than when the trolling motor was on.

Then as a completely different question do you want to fish exactly the same spot all tide or would you rather swing slowly around and cover more ground and spread out more scent like when you are on a regular anchor? Spot lock is good for staying on top of a small reef but I would think halibut fishing is better with a natural swing around the anchor.

If you wanted to chase sea run cutts in shallow water I think the trolling motor is great but not very useful around BC in deeper water.

Might get that boat running again soon and if I do, happy to take you for a spin so you can see how it works in person and in BC.

Charging them isn't much trouble. It's going the other way that is tricky. People want to use the 36 volt set up as a house battery.
OK I missed your point. Yes I would never try to use part of a 36V system as 12V without some very fancy rigging. Mine is set up in a simple manner to use one of the 12V as a house battery but I would only ever use it in an emergency as it kills the balance between the 3 batteries and means each battery needs to be individually charged to full then.

This guy has something fancy but I haven't looked at purchasing it.

12/36V Battery box

I still trying to wrap my head around with just using a anchor it takes all of maybe 20 mins total time for setting and retrieving. and if you know what your doing one of the safest practices for last 50 years for halibut?? for the amout of times we halibut fish seems alot to spend that kinda money on this fancy system that may not work??? " KISS "comes to mind here ...

I've used a Minn Kota extensively in salt water in Florida and loved it. I brought the boat and trolling motor to BC and found out the trolling motor is much less useful than I expected.

First the currents in Florida tend to be either constant for the day (Gulfstream) or simple tidal ones in shallow water.

Around Victoria we've got deep water with complicated currents and winds that are constantly changing. That makes it tougher (but not always impossible) for the spot lock to work properly.

Second there is way more debris in the water here to hit with the trolling motor.

Third the spot lock does not like a swell. Florida basically never has a swell when there isn't a hurricane while around BC lots of places can have a significant swell and still be very pleasant. I tried setting the spot lock in Renfrew on a nearly calm day with a 2m swell with a long period. The spot lock had a hissy fit and beat the water to a froth. It was trying to keep the boat exactly stationary when all the swell was doing is moving the boat a little one way on the up swell and then right back on the downswell. I just turned the trolling motor off and stayed closer to the spot with less noise and wasted energy than when the trolling motor was on.

Then as a completely different question do you want to fish exactly the same spot all tide or would you rather swing slowly around and cover more ground and spread out more scent like when you are on a regular anchor? Spot lock is good for staying on top of a small reef but I would think halibut fishing is better with a natural swing around the anchor.

If you wanted to chase sea run cutts in shallow water I think the trolling motor is great but not very useful around BC in deeper water.

Might get that boat running again soon and if I do, happy to take you for a spin so you can see how it works in person and in BC.
Thank you! That is really what I’m looking for. So good for the gulf islands and flat calm days fishing Hali off Victoria but crap for days with swell and off the west coast. Would love to try with you, you name the time and place and I’ll be there.

20 minutes pulling an anchor and setting when things go well but with a 3 and 6 year old pulling and a senior citizen 70+ for sporty things can go bad quickly. My shoulder that popped out 5 times in April doesn’t make me too keen as well. Guides do it 15+ times a season but sporties who have a family are lucky to set 5 times in a season. Experts vs amateurs! I would also like to try multiple spots in low current days and quick sets on tide changes.

I do need to lighten up my chain, it’s overkill for my 25 foot boat but I have dragged a couple times with bad sets.

Time to yell at kids SIT DOWN !!! lol
Do you have the ring style set up? shoulder shouldnt pull out wih that
So close to 5 grand for this system?? for 5 times a year so that be 1000 bucks per trip???why not hire me instead ill take your $$$$ , LOL LOL
all kidding aside yes cut some chain, anchoring is best option IMO...
Guides do it 15+ times a season
try over 40 times LOL and im old!!!

Back