Do it yourself Rivers Inlet questions.

Gerry V

Hello all,

Looking to make a trip from Port Hardy to Rivers Inlet and had some questions that need to be answered and who better to ask than the people who share the same passion.

1) Where is the best place for moorage?
2) Is there fuel close by?
3)Food, Ice and of course beverages for evening wind downs. ?
4) Any insight that anyone is willing to share with the group.?

Appreciate any and all information.

Cheers.

Hello all,

Looking to make a trip from Port Hardy to Rivers Inlet and had some questions that need to be answered and who better to ask than the people who share the same passion.

1) Where is the best place for moorage?
2) Is there fuel close by?
3)Food, Ice and of course beverages for evening wind downs. ?
4) Any insight that anyone is willing to share with the group.?

Appreciate any and all information.

Cheers.
Search Dawsons Landing they have it all food, gas, and moorage I believe.

My son and I are doing the trip in August. We have accommodation booked at Dawson’s landing. My son booked it a year ago , From what I understand we can get fuel, bait , ice I think there’s a small store. We’re doing the trip with another boat. He’s done the trip a couple of times. Kind of nice going with someone that’s done it already.

As others have said, Dawson's Landing has everything you are looking for - fuel, moorage, ice, liquor/grocery store, chandlery, picnic tables, etc. If you are looking to stay on the hook, there's lots of protected anchorages in Fitz Hough Sound / Penrose Island.

There aren't really any secret areas. Check out Salmon University and also some of the lodges which have their favorite fishing areas posted for guests. We did well staying away from the "crowds" and finding our own water.

When will you be going? We were there late July last year and the fishing was good to great. However, we had very thick fog every morning (Fogust came early) and radar is almost mandatory, especially if you are going to be running down from Dawson's in the morning and with all the lodge boats around. If you go cut plugging at the head of the inlet, bring a long pair of pants and shirt, the horseflies up there were insane! I spent six summers working in the bush in northern BC and Alberta and never saw horseflies like that.

X2 on Dawson's Landing as we just returned from a 12 day adventure from Prince Rupert to Port McNeill. Rustic with a convenience store with everything needed including alcohol and basic staples as mentioned.Outhouse on deck for the needy and a few dogs to pet. You may want to pick up your salt ice in Port Hardy as we didn't inquire about ice at the store. You can pay a fee for cell service if necessary to check wind conditions etc.for your return trip. $1.88 a litre for fuel, water is available and as for dock space when we dropped by a large contingent of American yachts gobbled up most of the dock space that we saw.
We hit Goose Bay for a couple of overnight stays as the Burnaby/ New West Firefighters have the facility set up with an excellent dock, washroom and a wood burning stove. Minimal docking fee and the bay on the hook is reasonably protected as well. Best to somehow get hold of the group to check out availability during peak periods and what is permitted. Fishing the wall is a short distance away which brought us good salmon results.We had the place to ourselves so can't comment on summer availability.
Check out Good Hope cannery / lodge as well as we stopped by for a quick visit to check out the facility.
Great trip, no question but make sure to have an extra keen set if eyes for debris and dead heads as it was everywhere on the tide lines. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Has anyone been up to rivers inlet , Dawson landing area lately ? Any reports? Heading up in three weeks :)

Head's up ...Traveling to River Inlet Duncanby Lodge will not be selling fuel, moorage, or meals to us private boater ...going to miss that .If you don't believe me go on their web site..

Head's up ...Traveling to River Inlet Duncanby Lodge will not be selling fuel, moorage, or meals to us private boater ...going to miss that .If you don't believe me go on their web site..

They were already turning boats away last year even though they had room to tie up for the night. There are lots of transient boaters who need fuel and moorage when passing through ? Rumour is they don't want anyone talking to there guests when fishing is slow. Only they know what the reason is. I guess this is what is know as the Dunanby difference !!

Business must be good if they can turn away the extra revenue, screw em.

There is typically no shortage of parking near Port Hardy launch - they have an overflow lot up top. When you leave the launch turn right, take your first right up the hill and there is a gravel parking lot about 1/2 km up the road straight away. I disconnect the trailer and leave it up top and drive and park Truck down below in the large cemented parking lot right by the marina.

Thanks Tight lines. What's the launch like for a 26 Ft. Boat? Is there a place to tie the boat while parking without impeding everyone else?

ramp quality is good but as others have said very litttle dock on low tide and the fuel dock is right there sserecan be clusterrlike conjestion..The Quarterdeck bar and food is. good. :)

Back