Islander vs. Trophy vs. Rapala vs. Amundson

support the Local guys and they will support you.....been involved with or in lots of derbies from small ones trying to get some money together for parents of a kid with terminal cancer to big ones, the local guys support the **** out of that stuff. Always do and always will.

have yet to see an offshore reel on a single prize table, and that includes amundson.

Trend x5 are on sale for $299 at steveston marine. It's not on their website but I was just there today at the Steveston location. I don't know if the sale is just at that store because it is closing or if all the stores have the special. They had about 10 in the display cabinet. I picked up an all black one. No scale pattern on mine if you aren't into that game of thrones design as previously mentioned haha.

Nice. I like those handles. Kinda want to swap mine out now

Trend x5 are on sale for $299 at steveston marine. It's not on their website but I was just there today at the Steveston location. I don't know if the sale is just at that store because it is closing or if all the stores have the special. They had about 10 in the display cabinet. I picked up an all black one. No scale pattern on mine if you aren't into that game of thrones design as previously mentioned haha.

Went to the vancouver location and they also have that sale on.. But only on the color scheme you bought. I was ready to buy the black with golf accent (no scales), but i was told that one was still regular price.

I have Islander MR3's and really like the quality.
They are a legacy item and a one time purchase as they can always be repaired and upgraded.
The feel of the drag with a big Chinook on the line is second to none.
The reel creep is a small issue, but once you dial in the amt of oil on the cork along with a little graphite seems to really help reduce it.
Islander is a strong supporter of PSF and the local Rod and Gun club in Qualicum/Parksville.
I will always support local businesses, even if it costs a little more.

I have Islander MR3's and really like the quality.
They are a legacy item and a one time purchase as they can always be repaired and upgraded.
The feel of the drag with a big Chinook on the line is second to none.
The reel creep is a small issue, but once you dial in the amt of oil on the cork along with a little graphite seems to really help reduce it.
Islander is a strong supporter of PSF and the local Rod and Gun club in Qualicum/Parksville.
I will always support local businesses, even if it costs a little more.
Islander supports everything.....they are great, along with all the local guys. Spend your money on offshore reels who give zero back to the community and you get what you paid for............

The last I checked, Amundson was a local company.

Who's reels I believe are built offshore.......

Ok derby, I apologize for that......from MY experience have yet to see any support. But that experience is admittedly limited. What I do know is the local company's that employ fellow fisher people give back tonnes to local causes.....and that's a fact jack.

The establish Company all contribute one way or another some more then other..Yes Islander does contribute lot's ,also a very high profile smaller company... The company which has Trophy employees over 70-plus people. the president has actively been involve in fisheries stuff including the hali allocation battle 5 years ago which was 1000's of man hrs...there staff which some are friends and fishing partners are involved in the SFAC and SFAB process...Amundson ..smaller company 5 -8 employee's or more...rent s a warhouse pays there tax's too...donated to small events and SFI events ect.... So its area to area and most company in this industry help out in the way that they can...Yes Islander has been a great supporter of the local area's and the industries...so has many others..I only use the 2 above but there are many more company Normark has given lot's to the fisheries across Canada ect... All I'm trying to say to other s is before driving the bus over the company..know the body of work first.... yes some reels are better then other s ..I use only 2 types that work for me..and I have been able to fish a wack of different reels over my life time...its a personal chose...being human we all like thing different.... :)

Who's reels I believe are built offshore.......

But still a Canadian company none the less. It's a local business with bricks and mortar in the lower mainland, that employs people and they pay local, provincial and federal taxes. If you don't like the fact that production or manufacturing happens elsewhere, that's your preference and you're within your rights to not support them or their product.

Again, it's not within my reality to spend in excess of an additional $400 per reel (times three reels) above what I've spent on mooching reels regardless of where someone manufactures their product. I'd rather attempt to support a more local Amundson rather than say Daiwa or Shimano. But whatever, if you and others can afford to buy Islander products, good on you and I applaud you for that.

The establish Company all contribute one way or another some more then other..Yes Islander does contribute lot's ,also a very high profile smaller company... The company which has Trophy employees over 70-plus people. the president has actively been involve in fisheries stuff including the hali allocation battle 5 years ago which was 1000's of man hrs...there staff which some are friends and fishing partners are involved in the SFAC and SFAB process...Amundson ..smaller company 5 -8 employee's or more...rent s a warhouse pays there tax's too...donated to small events and SFI events ect.... So its area to area and most company in this industry help out in the way that they can...Yes Islander has been a great supporter of the local area's and the industries...so has many others..I only use the 2 above but there are many more company Normark has given lot's to the fisheries across Canada ect... All I'm trying to say to other s is before driving the bus over the company..know the body of work first.... yes some reels are better then other s ..I use only 2 types that work for me..and I have been able to fish a wack of different reels over my life time...its a personal chose...being human we all like thing different.... :)

Well I have been enlightened........thanks for that. Now back to boat maintenance

Love my TMX5 as well.

I was using my buddies Islander TR3's this weekend and they are super nice. The drag is a huge improvement over the MR3's. Although one of the reels started creaking by the end of the weekend so we will have to see what that is all about. Sounded like a dry bearing.

I sold my islander and picked up two of the new tmx5s. Been really please with the reels. Drags are awesome! I've had one handles screw come loose, tighten back up hasn't been a problem since. One big por in comparison to the tyee or mr2 is that the tmx5s you can make it right or left handed. The mr3 also have this option.

I have 2 TMX 5 Theron reels that I bought 3 years ago at PNT. Prior to that I was the Shimano 4000 guy. Plain and simple they have been great reels. No line creep, handle big fish easy and the drags seem to be bulletproof. I hooked a porpoise 2 years at at Winter Harbour and I can attest that line can come off the spool at a very fast pace and the reel palmed nicely.....some slight burnage on the palm on the break off move.

What kind of reel would you suggest when you have one time noobs on the boat? Chinook + Noobs + Mooching Reel + fishing running at the boat = fish lost. Despite telling my friends to real hard and fast when they run at the boat they always stop and go on about the fish is lost. Is there a better reel for noobs with a better gear ratio so that they can keep up when the chinook run at the boat?

Back