Truck Size To Tow A 28 Footer

Lots of good comments and recommendations here, Gents. Thanks. My current truck has 12,000 capacity so I could probably move it around on flat roads and get it launched but that’s about it. But yeah, I was hoping I could launch a boat like that myself ....if it truly took two peeps to get it off a trailer I’m thinking I’d either stick to an all-water route or stick with my 24 footer because I usually do my extended trips alone. It’s got twin Suzukis with that optimus system so pretty easy to move around in tight quarters.....I’m going to go take it for a test drive in a week or so....lots to think about. Cutting loose my current truck will be tough as I have a really nice camper package for it that I use all the time for river fishing and skiing

You can always save your money and hire a professional hauling service. If you think it's worthwhile to have a suitable tow rig and trailer for a couple of trips a year make sure you follow the good advice provided here previously: 350 or 3500 diesel, dually with a class 5 hitch, preferably with a factory tow package. Make sure your trailer and tires have a rated capacity in excess of the boat weight. Many trailers out there are marginal or inadequate. Also keep in mind height and width (permits) when towing. You will be limited in the roads you travel and in finding suitable tides and launch ramps for a longer trailer and bigger boat. You will need help launching and retrieving your boat. Parking your rig is another issue. Maintenance costs are higher. I've gone the big boat route and am happily back to a 17 footer. Easy in all respects and I go anywhere, almost anytime, with only a modest investment.

Couldn’t agree more. 18 foot Hourston, no special tow vehicle. A fraction of the costs involved in owning, fueling, maintaining a big offshore boat and a big tow vehicle. I fish Nootka inside (and outside on the right days), Sooke, Renfrew. If I’m inclined to make a big offshore trip, I’ll pay a guide and still be ahead by tens of thousands of dollars.

Couldn’t agree more. 18 foot Hourston, no special tow vehicle. A fraction of the costs involved in owning, fueling, maintaining a big offshore boat and a big tow vehicle. I fish Nootka inside (and outside on the right days), Sooke, Renfrew. If I’m inclined to make a big offshore trip, I’ll pay a guide and still be ahead by tens of thousands of dollars.
I like the idea of getting a guide once a year for offshore or new areas. I'm usually fishing with 2 or 3 friends so it's good value and I always learn something new.

I drag A 7500 lbs boat/trailer with my 2013 3/4 Suburban SUV that’s rated to tow 9200lbs. It’s got a 6.0 Gas motor in it. It isn’t overpowered for sure. I drag it all over the Island. It’s working pretty hard on the steep hills. You need a diesel no question.
14,000 lbs is a lot of weight. I think you want something rated at least 20% over that or 17,000 lbs. Pretty limited in terms of options but they are out there. Remember that you want the longest wheelbase you can find. It’s your leverage against trailer sway. I think the calculation is the distance from trailer ball to last axle should be no more than 2.5 your vehicle wheelbase.

my f450 doing what it does best, and of course no trailer brakes, hauled from northern Idaho to bremerton. 15,800 on the scales for the trailer and truck at 20,000

Attachments

• f450.JPG
    f450.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 115
I would want a 1 ton diesel with a exhaust brake. My f350 came with a 2.5” receiver which is ideal for heavy loads. When it come to towing everyone talks about engines but brakes are the most important. I tow 15,000 often with my f350 with with no trouble. You should get a heavy endorsement license when towing over 10k

I have towed a buddies 29’ Maxum which is 9’6” wide with my 3/4 ton 2006 Chevy diesel. The weight is around 10k pounds. Trailer is a triple axle and brakes don’t currently work. No problem towing short distances but if going a long ways I would want the trailer brakes working.

if the trailer is setup correctly I would have no issue towing a 28’ Boat to Port Hardy with a stock 3/4 ton truck. Normally 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have the same motor and running gear but just added leaf springs for a higher payload on the 1 ton. On a 3/4 ton truck airbags may help out leveling the truck or there are devices you can add that will engage the overload springs right away. Normally the going part is not a big deal but want to ensure you have enough braking power. With a Prodigy 3 brake controller you can bias the braking when towing loads heavier than the tow vehicle and this seems to help out a bunch or the stopping part.

Another note is to make sure all of your trailering components on you truck are truly rated for the weight. My 3/4 diesel came with a receiver only rated to 7,500 pounds so upgraded to Curt receiver rated for 16,000 pounds. Also make sure your stinger and ball are rated for the weight. Had to buy a more expensive solid stinger and bigger shank ball to get a complete 16,000 pound setup.

It isn't easy to do the boat, truck, camper upgrade but it is worth it. I got a loaded used 1 ton that has a camper/tow package installed. My 2015 has a 2.5 inch hitch and is rated for 14,000 pounds and it looks like the same for the 3/4 ton according to page 18. Go to the dealership and get the build sheet. Looks like you'll want a 2017 or newer Ford and likely same generation of GM or Dodge to have lots of spare braking capacity. I used ever bit of my EOH and Engine Braking this past weekend towing Victoria to Port Albernie with a 25.5 foot boat. Make sure the trailer has good electric over hydraulic brakes, likely a 12-14k trailer for a boat your size

Look at the towing guide for the year you want to buy, DON'T BELIEVE YOUR DEALER Here is for 2017 and then 2015. https://www.ford.ca/cmslibs/content...uides/pdf/RV_Trailer_Towing_Guide_EN_2017.pdf https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...eet/towing-guides/Ford_Linc_15RVTTowGuide.pdf

I’ve hesitated to step up for a bigger boat partly due to the continual drum beat of diminishing fishing opportunities but also there’s the towing dilemmas: do you get rid of a perfectly good tow rig because you want a bigger boat?

So I’m looking at the boat of my dreams. It’s 28 feet and weighs in (with trailer) at just under 14,000 lbs

No way will my 1/2 ton tow that boat safely .

I spent the morning looking at one ton rigs.....I never particularly wanted a diesel but I’m guessing at this point, a diesel makes sense and a one ton is probably the best tool for the job

But the question is: is there a 3/4 TON out there one could safely tow a boat of that size?

I know nothing about diesels and which trucks out there I should be focusing on to tow a boat of that size.

Thanks for any help out there from the truck guys who tow the bigger boats

That's a pretty heavy rig. What make/model boat and trailer is this and what power is on it? Curious cause I wasn't aware of a 28' glass or aluminum that was that heavy even with twins, full of fuel, and a triaxle trailer. Bigger than 9' 6" beam?
Most of the 28's I looked at when I bought my boat all came in at around the 11000 lb total combined weight range with twins, full of fuel, and triaxle trailers.

It's 10K dry + 2 x DF350 = 11,500 + 1000 liters fuel = 14,500 + weight of a tri-axle trailer.....still no kicker, salt ice or booze or Downrigger balls....28 foot Seasport...seems like 1 ton dually territory

IMO your going into a GM kodiak or F450 those trucks are going to be the best bet to fit for your payload that your pulling and have the diffs, engine, transmission etc that your going to need in order to pull that kinda size and weight! Your gonna pay out the nose to get one.

Dont forget to upgrade your trans coolers, egt probe and gauge also an exhaust pac brake would be needed as well imo if its not already a factory option.

The guy selling the 28 footer is also offering his one ton dually as a potential package deal. Yes, I’m sure a one ton dually covers the bases for towing a boat that big but what the heck do you do with a truck like that the rest of the year?

I suppose the other option is leave the boat in the water and instead of towing from Victoria to Hardy, just do the all-water route and put the hours on the outboards (and burn one ton of gas in the trade-off)
At some point a bigger boat gets harder to handle and you actually may find you use it less than the smaller one you had before.

23.5 footers with pod bring them to 26.5 ft are generally the cutoff for what you can comfortably tow and handle yourself. anything bigger and it is difficult to handle on a trailer setup. just go marina in that case. 3267lbs of metal on a 23.5 footer with a 1/4 inch bottom.

IMO your going into a GM kodiak or F450 those trucks are going to be the best bet to fit for your payload that your pulling and have the diffs, engine, transmission etc that your going to need in order to pull that kinda size and weight! Your gonna pay out the nose to get one.

Dont forget to upgrade your trans coolers, egt probe and gauge also an exhaust pac brake would be needed as well imo if its not already a factory option.
Or f550 or doge 5500. I like the Kodiaks! I’d pay to get it towed personally. And moor it the rest of the time

It's 10K dry + 2 x DF350 = 11,500 + 1000 liters fuel = 14,500 + weight of a tri-axle trailer.....still no kicker, salt ice or booze or Downrigger balls....28 foot Seasport...seems like 1 ton dually territory
Oh boy looking at my dream boat. Would love to upgrade from my 24’ Seasport to the 28’

Wanted to respond to numerous member responses on here but I‘ll do my best to remain calm. Once again, there are guys on here offering advice on a subject they know nothing about, he didn’t ask how nice it was to tow your 18 foot Hourston or how it’d be better to just hire a guide? Did you guys read the original post? He currently has a 24ft boat that he manages perfectly fine with, he’s interested in UPGRADING to a boat and would need to upgrade his tow rig too. As stated by Saanauk, the only real difference in 1 Ton and 3/4 Ton trucks is the payload, they are usually rated to TOW the same amount. For those of you who don’t know, payload is the amount of weight that is placed inside the cab, in the bed, and on the hitch. He’s trying to tow 14,000lbs, not place it on his roof. He does NOT need a dually F450 or a 5500, a 3/4 Ton modern diesel would be absolutely fine. My assumption is that a boat of that caliber would have a suitable trailer under it with EOH brakes.

I have a 17 ram 3500, which is rated to tow around 18,000lbs. My boat fully loaded with fuel, gear, twins, and trailer is around 8500lbs. In addition I throw our fully loaded Arctic Fox 811 in the back and then hook up the boat. I tow it up to hardy and back all the time, the truck does it with ease.

EED489D2-8962-4585-B1B8-98510E64012B.jpeg

GEEE dont get your knockers in a knot last i saw this is a public forum asking for advice IMO thats what hes getting. one thing your right about a 3/4 ton t a 1 ton is mostly suspension and air bags fixes that. Also once you get into a bigger class truck here in BC anyways you have to pay alot more for insurance if its a 1 ton or bigger

Wanted to respond to numerous member responses on here but I‘ll do my best to remain calm. Once again, there are guys on here offering advice on a subject they know nothing about, he didn’t ask how nice it was to tow your 18 foot Hourston or how it’d be better to just hire a guide? Did you guys read the original post? He currently has a 24ft boat that he manages perfectly fine with, he’s interested in UPGRADING to a boat and would need to upgrade his tow rig too. As stated by Saanauk, the only real difference in 1 Ton and 3/4 Ton trucks is the payload, they are usually rated to TOW the same amount. For those of you who don’t know, payload is the amount of weight that is placed inside the cab, in the bed, and on the hitch. He’s trying to tow 14,000lbs, not place it on his roof. He does NOT need a dually F450 or a 5500, a 3/4 Ton modern diesel would be absolutely fine. My assumption is that a boat of that caliber would have a suitable trailer under it with EOH brakes.

I have a 17 ram 3500, which is rated to tow around 18,000lbs. My boat fully loaded with fuel, gear, twins, and trailer is around 8500lbs. In addition I throw our fully loaded Arctic Fox 811 in the back and then hook up the boat. I tow it up to hardy and back all the time, the truck does it with ease.

View attachment 55078
Geez, man! Sharphooks was happy getting experienced forum member's advice then you come along, the expert, and no one else knows what they are talking about? Then I looked at your picture: look at the squat on that poor, overloaded truck, the wheels, the tires. You should have bought the dually!

Back