Truck Size To Tow A 28 Footer

The guy selling the 28 footer is also offering his one ton dually as a potential package deal. Yes, I’m sure a one ton dually covers the bases for towing a boat that big but what the heck do you do with a truck like that the rest of the year?

I suppose the other option is leave the boat in the water and instead of towing from Victoria to Hardy, just do the all-water route and put the hours on the outboards (and burn one ton of gas in the trade-off)

I ran a 23 Hourston from Victoria to Hardy, twice. The fuel bill was brutal, but worse was having weather days shorten your holiday. I bought a trailer and have saved its cost in fuel, moorage and saved maintenance. My 3/4 tonne Dodge will make the trip on 3/4 tank of fuel - in one day, no weather days - its an 01, rated to pull 13,000.

Any of the big 3 make 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks up to your job - they pull over 20,000 lbs and probably get comparable mileage to your car. Check it out.

Well, I just watched my boat get dragged away down the street this morning so a boat replacement is now more of a pressing matter. The guy who got my boat towed it away with a 1 ton Duramax....I noticed his rig was not that much bigger then my Titan XD as far as length and foot print on the road went so ya, maybe I’ll be considering a bigger truck

Short-term I might just store the boat in a yard and not drag it around ....no guarantee that us lower 48-ers will even be allowed across your border in 2021 the way things are going now so long tows with heavy boats might not even be on the menu

Back