Is it legal to tow a tandem axle trailer missing a wheel?

I have a leaking rear seal on one wheel and need to tow it about 40 km to have it repaired. I'm thinking of removing the wheel so as not to blow the bearings while taking it to the shop. I would remove the boat before towing it. The GAWR on each axle is 5150 lb.

I've done it when drum brakes froze up (rusty),removed the wheel and took a hammer to remove drum and shoes.Travelled fine with 3 wheels.

Maybe switch out the sketchy bearings wheel for a smaller size one to get you there?

I have a leaking rear seal on one wheel and need to tow it about 40 km to have it repaired. I'm thinking of removing the wheel so as not to blow the bearings while taking it to the shop. I would remove the boat before towing it. The GAWR on each axle is 5150 lb.
If you are asking specifically if it is legal…. like your post says, I would say no.

But is it doable, I think that’s been answered lol

You must have oil filled hubs to be concerned for such a short distance but I would have no issues towing it as you are suggesting.

Tried to find something online but couldn’t. Can’t see why it would be illegal given that the good axle more than compensates for the load.

If you are removing the boat take both tires on that axle off and you won’t have a problem.

As someone else mentioned you could strap up the axle if you only take one tire off but with no boat it would be way easier to take the other tire off and let the axle hang.

I have travelled the entire Winter Harbour road with one axel on a tandem trailer with no issues.

If you are removing the boat take both tires on that axle off and you won’t have a problem.

As someone else mentioned you could strap up the axle if you only take one tire off but with no boat it would be way easier to take the other tire off and let the axle hang.

I have travelled the entire Winter Harbour road with one axel on a tandem trailer with no issues.
I'm wondering why I would strap the axle up ?I believe it's called a torsion bar axle

Use a ratchet strap and you can lift each tire on that axle with off the ground. Lazy man’s flat tire fix
Go around axle and frame

I'm wondering why I would strap the axle up ?I believe it's called a torsion bar axle

Ahh yes if it’s a Torsion axle that is solidly mounted to the frame pull the one tire off and roll with it. If it’s conventional spring system that’s when you would need to strap it up.

no its not legal. you are basically lifting an axle by removing a wheel.

Lift axles

7.11 (1) A person must not, without a permit, drive or operate on a highway a vehicle or a combination of vehicles in which a control is provided for varying the weight on an axle or group of axles, unless

(a) the control locks or unlocks a sliding fifth wheel coupler,

(b) the vehicle is a ready mix concrete truck and the control is manually operated and located outside the driver compartment and immediately adjacent to the axle or group of axles being affected, or

(c) the control is an automatic axle lift device that

(i) was installed on the trailer by

(A) the original trailer manufacturer, or

(B) an installer working under the supervision of, and according to an installation plan developed by, a professional engineer, and

(ii) is equipped with tamper-resistant features to prevent unintended field adjustments,

and the trailer on which it is installed

(iii) has affixed on each side, near the affected axles, a unique logo indicating that an automatic axle lift device is installed on the trailer, and

(iv) is equipped with an on/off control to operate the automatic axle lift device and with a status light visible from the cab to indicate to the driver when the device is activated.

(2) A person must not, without a permit, drive or operate a vehicle or vehicle combination with lift axles in contact with the ground if the vehicle is

(a) not also equipped with an automatic lift axle that meets the requirements set out in subsection (1) (c) (i) and (ii), or

(b) a pole trailer.

[en. B.C. Reg. 95/2006, s. 3; am. B.C. Reg. 97/2009, s. (a).]

so you need to fix an automatic axle lift device to make it legal for you to tow it.
that being said, you can always get it towed by a wrecker if you want it 100% legal. they have a permit and insurance to tow stuff without all axles being in contact with the ground.

Back