Wind forecast… what you guys think about this?

AndrewH

I need to get my boat and a quad in the back from Richmond up to Earls Cove this Sunday.

What do you guys think the water will look like considering this forecast?

Calm if I stay close to shore in the run up?

Attachments

• A6DEAF86-AE68-45EF-8D68-8D86A33E171E.png
    A6DEAF86-AE68-45EF-8D68-8D86A33E171E.png
    797.8 KB · Views: 48
I need to get my boat and a quad in the back from Richmond up to Earls Cove this Sunday.

I find that shoreline is worse if you have winds or tides coming out from Howe Sound and Gibsons. I like being in the middle. It's behind you, so I think you're fine. But it's also way too early to be sure.

Only 10 knots Easterly is fine but keep an eye on the forecast as env Canada is showing 15 to 25 SE which would be a bit more painful.

Keep checking all 5 weather models on Windy until they all give you roughly the same estimates or the estimates stop fluctuating. Both ICON and ECMWF show a 20kn easterly early but dying down a bit in the afternoon. That is going to make really sloppy conditions from 7am-noon with the opposing ebb tide....might be better to get a late start. The NAM5km model is usually the most accurate and it won't be available for Sunday until later tonight or tomorrow. Use the "Compare" feature in Windy - click anywhere on the map to get the little "flag" with the windspeed to appear, then click on the little yellow drop-down arrow and then at the very bottom of the screen click on "Compare".

How does your boat handle with a heavy quad in the back with following seas?

Keep checking all 5 weather models on Windy until they all give you roughly the same estimates or the estimates stop fluctuating. Both ICON and ECMWF show a 20kn easterly early but dying down a bit in the afternoon. That is going to make really sloppy conditions from 7am-noon with the opposing ebb tide....might be better to get a late start. The NAM5km model is usually the most accurate and it won't be available for Sunday until later tonight or tomorrow. Use the "Compare" feature in Windy - click anywhere on the map to get the little "flag" with the windspeed to appear, then click on the little yellow drop-down arrow and then at the very bottom of the screen click on "Compare".

How does your boat handle with a heavy quad in the back with following seas?
Thanks for taking the time,

Ya the more I wait the morebit looks like later Sunday is a better option.

In terms of what the handling will be like, I am not too sure yet. The quad weighs about 600lbs (smaller 450 bike) but it is up higher than a regular load.

I am hoping to take it out locally this Saturday to see what it is like before I take it on the bigger trip this Sunday.

I am thinking that a 24’ aluminum will handle a quad…?? Thoughts?

Not mine but will be set up the same

Attachments

• 4CA4C077-AD14-40D4-AAF2-C206FBDC33D9.png
    4CA4C077-AD14-40D4-AAF2-C206FBDC33D9.png
    505.9 KB · Views: 53
Thanks for taking the time,

Ya the more I wait the morebit looks like later Sunday is a better option.

In terms of what the handling will be like, I am not too sure yet. The quad weighs about 600lbs (smaller 450 bike) but it is up higher than a regular load.

I am hoping to take it out locally this Saturday to see what it is like before I take it on the bigger trip this Sunday.

I am thinking that a 24’ aluminum will handle a quad…?? Thoughts?

Not mine but will be set up the same
Let us know how it goes!

Ive done it with a 600 grizzly on a 20ft boat. made the boat feel top heavy and wallow in the water. I ran up howesound on a flat calm day and it was ok but could have been bad it if was rough

Back