Coop marked gas with ethanol.

TinnyTime

Hi All, what are your opinions on running the coop marked gas that now has up to 10% ethanol? Thats the same ethanol content as regular.
20240218_101811.jpg

Now that's its got ethanol, I've started to add fuel stabilizer to the marked gas now, plus seafoam. I don't like it, but What else can I do... the only ethanol free gas now is chevron 94 and I'm not going to run that $$$.

Ethanol is going to be hardest on the little jets in the 9.9 kicker, plug em up. And will generally absorb water.

Is this ethanol change due to some government regulation ?

You could choose to save 7 cents and just run regular in that instance, since it has the same 10% ethanol content. I don't think outboards need the higher octane.

I have always run marked fuel in my engines (Yamahas) and usually burn about $5,000+- per season. In all the engines I have owned I have always added Yamaha Ring Free Plus to the fuel and changed filters every 100 hours of operating.

Here is a link to Yamaha Ring Free plus. Other outboards probably have a similar product.

I have always run marked fuel in my engines (Yamahas) and usually burn about $5,000+- per season. In all the engines I have owned I have always added Yamaha Ring Free Plus to the fuel and changed filters every 100 hours of operating.

Here is a link to Yamaha Ring Free plus. Other outboards probably have a similar product.
I've heard of Yamaha Ring Free, but Im assuming its basilcally the same thing as SeaFoam (which I use)

Chevron 94 also has ethanol as of Oct 1st last year. The gas companies had until 2030 to comply with Gov requirements for it to be in all gas...they all decided to do it early. So there are no ethanol free choices now.

I would just run regular with a fuel stabilizer
Todays 4 strokes are small displacement big HP and higher revving engines. I wouldn't run regular in any higher performance engine especially if you are spinning upwards of 6000 rpms and typically more than 4000. Also these engines have to do all their work with one gear...no transmission to ease the load through acceleration.

Hi All, what are your opinions on running the coop marked gas that now has up to 10% ethanol? Thats the same ethanol content as regular.
View attachment 103228

Now that's its got ethanol, I've started to add fuel stabilizer to the marked gas now, plus seafoam. I don't like it, but What else can I do... the only ethanol free gas now is chevron 94 and I'm not going to run that $$$.

Ethanol is going to be hardest on the little jets in the 9.9 kicker, plug em up. And will generally absorb water.

You could choose to save 7 cents and just run regular in that instance, since it has the same 10% ethanol content. I don't think outboards need the higher octane.
Ethanol has less energy value that the gas it displaces. MPG will be worse. You need more to go the same distance. Extra expense. Strike 1.
It absorbs water. Bad for boats. Bad for jets. And injectors - corrosion. Strike 2.
It's a poorly informed political maneuver to "save the planet." Appeals to the stupid and gullible. Strike 3

Adding stabilizer or Seafoam changes nothing but the weight of your wallet. I'll maintain no ethanol is best value, overall. The extra cost is quickly recovered.
However, Ring Free is an excellent additive for removing carbon deposits, especially from extended idling.

If buying good fuel creates hardship, get a different hobby.

Chevron 94 also has ethanol as of Oct 1st last year. The gas companies had until 2030 to comply with Gov requirements for it to be in all gas...they all decided to do it early. So there are no ethanol free choices now.
Some marinas still advertise "No ethanol." E0 may no longer available at gas stations but it is available. Canadian politicians want to be "green" but they really should've read the Univ of Minnesota study (University of Minnesota College of Science and Engineering) that demonstrated gasoline with ethanol pollutes more than zero ethanol gasoline after factoring in the agricultural and processing costs.

Last edited:
Damn didn’t know that. Guess there’s no good options anymore

Sunoco article:
Are premium gasolines better?

"87-octane fuels are less refined and contain more unstable hydrocarbon compounds. As the months pass during storage, these unstable components react to form gums, varnishes and lower-octane hydrocarbons. As a result, the octane can decrease within 3 months for 87-octane fuels, especially when stored under less-than-ideal conditions.

“ Top Tier, 93-octane fuels sold at stations such as Chevron, Costco and others, are more refined and so contain hydrocarbons that remain stable. These stable hydrocarbons will last two to three times longer than those in 87-octane fuel. Even with proper storage, 87-octane gas can start to degrade in three months; 93-octane fuel should last closer to 9 months before degradation is detectable. High octane fuels also contain higher concentrations of detergents and other additives that help reduce carbon deposits and keep engine components clean. Keep in mind that even 93-octane fuels are still susceptible to octane loss and vapor pressure decreases due to butane evaporation over long periods of time.”

So, other than the added cost, is there a downside to filling your tank with high-octane gas?

“Filling up with premium even when you don’t need the octane will help to clean the engine systems better than 87 octane. Premium gasoline also ages better. No need for additional stabilizers or other off-the-shelf additives.”

Have you ever tried it ?
It makes a difference !
Great point!
I use Yamaha Ring Free occasionally. It helps clean out carbon residue from long periods of idling.

I have taken out injectors for cleaning and also rebuilt gummed-up carbs. In both cases, "Dr. Love's Magic Elixer" was of no help. Not a scientific study, though. The studies say "Seafoam will do no harm when used as directed."
The MSDS info says it contains only "pale oil (maybe kerosene), isopropyl alcohol and naphtha (white gas). Chemical engineers at refineries have determined the best formulations, detergents and additives for premium gasoline. The studies also inform us that premium gasolines do not degrade as quickly so stabilizer is not necessary for storage periods of less than 9 months.

Once carbs/injectors are severely gummed up, there isn't many
solutions except to take apart and clean.
However using seafoam certainly helps prevent it.
It works for me anyway.
Damn, Scott! I should have used it before my heart problem came up! Too gummed up now... 😂

View attachment 103228

Which coop do you use?

Mine still offers no octane, or they just forgot to swap out the stickers

Attachments

• IMG_4346.jpeg
    IMG_4346.jpeg
    316.4 KB · Views: 38
I called around and it appears that all the Peninsula Co-op marked gas in Southern Vancouver Island now contains up to 10% ethanol. They even have signs on the pumps that explain the change, so it is definitely an across-the-board decision. I’m going to use regular 87 octane and supplement with seafoam. I think the best way to actually avoid problems related to ethanol is to not let the gas sit, so I have an incentive to use my boat regularly. My experience confirms this. Whether two stroke or four stroke, my outboards have always run better when they are run a lot.

Can anyone confirm whether or not marinas carry ethanol-free fuel? Obviously it depends on the marina, but maybe it would be worthwhile to get a running list in a shared doc for reference.

Back