Boat captain

Loghauler

Back in my youth on a visit to our great connection to the world I was watching tug boats pulling barges and assisting ships and I thought to myself
Myself I said you would be one of those guys if you grew up here, sadly as a land lubber I went to the next best for my locale the biggest land yacht possible and true to my nature choose the wildest places to operate and never looked back but after years of playing in the water and fishing in the creeks and rivers inevitably I feel the call of the ocean maybe it’s the rhythm inherent or the wind and wild I’m not sure but it grows stronger as I age
My question is what does one do to follow that path “being a Captain” and no I don’t mean of my own boat lol I’ve got that covered
But I mean running a tug or bigger
Is it just get a job on a boat and work your way up while getting courses or does one specificity go take courses and start as a whatever and then slowly move towards your chance if you don’t screw up the small stuff or is there some place in the world where there is a university solely for the production of all things nautical and the man power required and I know that is a daydream but I’m curious as I feel the pull of the tides and the sirens call of the Big Blue

Being from the interior, you’re kind of limited in opportunities. Not too many tugs here. Few on the arrows towing log booms. Best advice I can give is get your SVOP. 6 months after I got mine I was captaining a near 40’ barge with a crane on it and I still field calls at least once a month regarding different marine opportunities.

Back in my youth on a visit to our great connection to the world I was watching tug boats pulling barges and assisting ships and I thought to myself
Myself I said you would be one of those guys if you grew up here, sadly as a land lubber I went to the next best for my locale the biggest land yacht possible and true to my nature choose the wildest places to operate and never looked back but after years of playing in the water and fishing in the creeks and rivers inevitably I feel the call of the ocean maybe it’s the rhythm inherent or the wind and wild I’m not sure but it grows stronger as I age
My question is what does one do to follow that path “being a Captain” and no I don’t mean of my own boat lol I’ve got that covered
But I mean running a tug or bigger
Is it just get a job on a boat and work your way up while getting courses or does one specificity go take courses and start as a whatever and then slowly move towards your chance if you don’t screw up the small stuff or is there some place in the world where there is a university solely for the production of all things nautical and the man power required and I know that is a daydream but I’m curious as I feel the pull of the tides and the sirens call of the Big Blue
I've known a few tow boat skippers and they all started with family: Dad, older brother, Grandfather and Uncle. Two started out crewing on seine boats at Haida Gwaii. It's risky, physical and demanding work - as much lifestyle as career. Look out on a winter storm and imagine having to be there for many hours, days and even weeks. Life and death responsibilities are on you. Take all the courses then forget it.

Go to Transport Canada seafarer Certification I think it’s now called.

I've known a few tow boat skippers and they all started with family: Dad, older brother, Grandfather and Uncle. Two started out crewing on seine boats at Haida Gwaii. It's risky, physical and demanding work - as much lifestyle as career. Look out on a winter storm and imagine having to be there for many hours, days and even weeks. Life and death responsibilities are on you. Take all the courses then forget it.
Sounds like logging

To be on the water is the best place in the world when sky and wind are favourable but the worst place to be if it gets ugly, especially if you have to make a living from it 365 days of the year. Not for the faint of heart I’m sure but I applaud them as I like to pick and choose my boating days.

Back