OceanConnect - a new website for current and future ocean conditions

mbrownboat

Hello! I'm excited to share with you a new, completely free website that's set to enhance your maritime adventures in the Pacific Northwest – OceanConnect. Developed with the needs of boaters in mind, OceanConnect provides a user-friendly and intuitive platform specifically catering to the Salish Sea region (though we plan on expanding our geographic extent soon.)

OceanConnect offers real-time information and forecasts, covering sea temperature, currents, wind, waves, air temperature, and tides. In addition to our forecast data we provide near real time data from buoys, weather stations and tide and current stations from the US and Canada.

We’re really hoping to serve the boating community as well as ocean users in general, so please try out OceanConnect and let us know what you think!

oceanconnect.ca

Looks very similar to one created by a long standing member here
Cool! Would be great to view it and see what data they are using. This was really brought to life to make available UBC's SalishSeaCast model. The current model was developed to serve this region, with it's complex topography and waterways and has a resolution of 500m. It's much more accurate than other regional models available, and should serve boaters well. You can learn more about our data on our data sources page (in the settings).

Cool! Would be great to view it and see what data they are using. This was really brought to life to make available UBC's SalishSeaCast model. The current model was developed to serve this region, with it's complex topography and waterways and has a resolution of 500m. It's much more accurate than other regional models available, and should serve boaters well. You can learn more about our data on our data sources page (in the settings).

Nice. looks particularly useful for fishing.

Hello! I'm excited to share with you a new, completely free website that's set to enhance your maritime adventures in the Pacific Northwest – OceanConnect. Developed with the needs of boaters in mind, OceanConnect provides a user-friendly and intuitive platform specifically catering to the Salish Sea region (though we plan on expanding our geographic extent soon.)

OceanConnect offers real-time information and forecasts, covering sea temperature, currents, wind, waves, air temperature, and tides. In addition to our forecast data we provide near real time data from buoys, weather stations and tide and current stations from the US and Canada.

We’re really hoping to serve the boating community as well as ocean users in general, so please try out OceanConnect and let us know what you think!

oceanconnect.ca
I find that this is a very useful tool Saves looking at multiple apps/sites

Just a heads up, the maps aren’t rendering on Safari for iOS v. 15.0.2. Not sure if you planned support for older versions, but figured you might want to know. And yes I need to update lol.

Good to know, thanks!
I upgraded to the latest version and it’s now rendering. Looks great! Performance is good too. My one complaint about the StraitWeather app was poor scrolling performance on my device, and this is definitely an improvement in that regard. UI is a bit more refined too. Do you plan on adding more weather models?

Edit: I see you’re using HRDPS, which has been requested by Canadian Windy users in this thread, but so far no plans have been announced to implement the model:

It appears that Windy has not implemented any Canadian models.

This is actually really cool in that it sets your app apart from most of the apps the users on this site rely on. I think that would be a good marketing angle - that you offer a more accurate model for Canadian waters than Windy. I see you alluded to that in another post, but I’m not sure it was picked up on lol.

Last edited:
After a bit more comparison to StraitWeather, I think they are different tools. What you’ve built here fills a different and larger niche IMHO.

I also see that you guys are affiliated with the Hakai Institute, who do some pretty awesome work from what I have seen.

Where are you getting the sea temps from? Is it all modeled? I don't think there are that many sensors out there.

Back