New wind and wave app

catch log has been added. It has an issue selecting on the map when on mobile, but works great on laptop/desktop. It initially takes your location but you can also select the spot on the map where you want to record your catch (which you'd likely always have to do if using a laptop). This will be smoother in the app and it automatically picks the fishing sub area for you and records the tide activity during that window. Catch log table is available in the side bar and you can click on the icons to get some basic info about that catch.

You need to be signed in to access the catch log.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 7.30.33 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 7.30.33 AM.png
    295.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 7.34.59 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 7.34.59 AM.png
    418.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 7.37.26 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 7.37.26 AM.png
    225.3 KB · Views: 38
Okay the app is now available in the app store (currently only for IOS / apple).

You need to search "sporty fish" in the app store.

It does require a monthly or annual subscription - but you can sign up for the annual which gives you one month of free use.

I ended up dedicating a significant amount more time than originally planned. I am committed to rolling out new features and making continuous improvements to the existing pages.

I had to purge my user database so .. I am sorry, if you had an account for the website (strait weather), I have removed your login and you will need to create a new one through the mobile app. The website is still free to use and will be rebuilt to mirror the app in short order.

I am going to add a tutorial to the app which offers walkthroughs of the different features within a week or so.

Here are a few screenshots of my favourite pages.

The main fishing map has multiple layers, showing the fishing areas (zoom in and touch on the area to access the regulations), local hotspots, your catch records and the sponge and rockfish closures.

The weather map shows current government buoy conditions as well as any others publicly sharing their data. It shows a 4 hour wind of previous conditions as well (often helpful when trying to read what is happening in the strait).

There is a fishing area search feature that will highlight regions that are open or closed (based on your search) for a particular species.

There is a catch log (to log your own catches) and then a dashboard and catch recommender. The dashboard displays your own personal records and the catch recommender aggregates other catch data and makes recommendations based on all nearby catches.

Lots more features not shown below, but I hope you guys get a chance to test it out and most importantly send over your feedback!

Make sure to share your location when using the app to get the most out of each feature.

Thank you for all the great ideas so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0824.PNG
    IMG_0824.PNG
    142.2 KB · Views: 23
  • dashboard.png
    dashboard.png
    82.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0825.PNG
    IMG_0825.PNG
    655.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0827.PNG
    IMG_0827.PNG
    63.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0816.PNG
    IMG_0816.PNG
    634.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0822.PNG
    IMG_0822.PNG
    86.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0821.PNG
    IMG_0821.PNG
    811.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0803.PNG
    IMG_0803.PNG
    524 KB · Views: 18
Okay the app is now available in the app store (currently only for IOS / apple).

You need to search "sporty fish" in the app store.

It does require a monthly or annual subscription - but you can sign up for the annual which gives you one month of free use.

I ended up dedicating a significant amount more time than originally planned. I am committed to rolling out new features and making continuous improvements to the existing pages.

I had to purge my user database so .. I am sorry, if you had an account for the website (strait weather), I have removed your login and you will need to create a new one through the mobile app. The website is still free to use and will be rebuilt to mirror the app in short order.

I am going to add a tutorial to the app which offers walkthroughs of the different features within a week or so.

Here are a few screenshots of my favourite pages.

The main fishing map has multiple layers, showing the fishing areas (zoom in and touch on the area to access the regulations), local hotspots, your catch records and the sponge and rockfish closures.

The weather map shows current government buoy conditions as well as any others publicly sharing their data. It shows a 4 hour wind of previous conditions as well (often helpful when trying to read what is happening in the strait).

There is a fishing area search feature that will highlight regions that are open or closed (based on your search) for a particular species.

There is a catch log (to log your own catches) and then a dashboard and catch recommender. The dashboard displays your own personal records and the catch recommender aggregates other catch data and makes recommendations based on all nearby catches.

Lots more features not shown below, but I hope you guys get a chance to test it out and most importantly send over your feedback!

Make sure to share your location when using the app to get the most out of each feature.

Thank you for all the great ideas so far.
There is a "sporty" weather app in the app store but not your "sporty fish" app!

There is a "sporty" weather app in the app store but not your "sporty fish" app!
It's just called "Sporty", but you have to search "Sporty fish" for the app to pop up on top instead of it asking if you actually wanted spotify or something else first.

Nicely done. Did you use SwiftUI or port over the old site using React Native, or something else? Another cool feature would be real time weather uploads, users can upload photos of weather conditions that display in real time and then maybe expire and disappear after an hour or two.

Any plans for Android? The new Play Store rules for requiring 20 testers before you can publish is annoying. Luckily you’ll be able to find them here, but lame that Google decided to hamstring personal developer accounts with their new policies.

@Alex_c that is definitely on the list ! I love the Live Photos though waves are hard to properly size with an image I find. Maybe photo and some sort of verified condition value they can report.

It’s react native with a little native code for certain packages I required. I used the bones of the site but basically it was a new build.

Apple is almost as bad.. with their 30% take on subscription fees.

I am just working on their search algorithm but you do have to search “sporty fish”, “sporty weather”, “sporty fishing” etc to find it. Even though the app itself is just called sporty.

Back