I could get used to this

sly_karma

Crew Member
Today I helped one of my longterm clients who has a lakefront vineyard property in Naramata with a Maxum 2300 at the dock. He wants to close up the place for the year and head back to the city, but there's a problem. The outfit in West Kelowna who pick up his boat and take it for winterizing and storage can't get there because of the rockslide that has closed highway 97. He's 88, in excellent shape for his age, but needed some help sorting this one.

Last week I mentioned I could follow him in my boat to one of the launch ramps north of the slide, meet the truck and trailer, and take him back to Naramata. With not much time left in his stay and no sign of the road opening anytime soon, he took me up on the offer and arranged a pickup this morning in Peachland. I trailered to Naramata, launched, and met at his place as arranged. He followed me in the Maxum and we had a perfect 30 minute run at 30 kn, enjoying the perfect calm morning.

Got his boat on the trailer at Peachland Yacht Club and we headed back in my boat. Just one of those perfect not to hot, not too chilly, glassy flat perfect boating days. Even Squally Point had oily smooth water. Decided what the hey and opened it up to 35 kn, gas burn barely dropped, 3.90 mpg.

Back to Naramata and Bob invites me in for lunch. He has homemade clam chowder, Manhattan style - my favourite. Enjoy a nice half hour chatting with this wonderful gent about this and that. Then it's time to head back, a 5 minute run to the Naramata ramp. Bob thanks me once again for being available and helping solve his problem, reminds me to bill him for all my hours today. Then shakes my hand and presses a brownie on me "to cover your gas."

I did a bit of figuring, I used less than 30 litres of gas, and my hourly billing comes out at $350. Plus the hundo he gave me. For driving a boat on a sparkling, gorgeous day! Didn't even have to catch anyone a fish! As much as I could get used to this, I wont take any more paid boat work, surely it can't get any better.

Back