What Wine Do You Like?

Can’t go wrong with any of these Cali Cab Savs with one Oregon Pinot thrown in. Not wines to take to your wine club som friends, but still really delicious drinkers. I'm finding it really hard to find quality at under $30 these days. The Modavi 2019 is pretty special, it’s now regular list at BCL.
Bought a bottle today and thanks for the recommendation. Nice cab.

We like the U-Vint varieties, particularly some of the various reds. We always get the Premium or Ultra Premium versions with crushed grape skins, and when the Limited Editions come out at the end of the season, we always end up with a couple of different ones to put away. There are a few Pinot Noirs, Old Vine Zinfandels, Vieux Chateau, Boudeaux, Pinotage and others that are outstanding after they have had a chance to age for a couple of years at least. A lot of the U-Vint crowd tends to bottle it one day, and then start consuming it the next day. That stuff is absolutely awful and does give those wines a well deserved bad reputation. But letting it age for 2 - 3 years really brings out the best of what is out there, and for a pretty good price by the time all is said and done. We generally tend to have a few year supply cellared away down in the basement keeping somewhat cool and out of the light. In those conditions, it will last a long time and get even better as it ages. It matches really well with a venison steak or roast. That's what it is all about anyway.

Last edited:
Rioja Marquesde Riscal Reserva Tin
Carmenere Carmen Gran
Petit Verdot Pirramimma
Amarone Classico Masi Costasera
Barolo Damicano Lecinquevigne
Beajolais Villages Jadot
Beringer Cab Sav
Catena Cab Sav
The Prisoner
If You See Kay (yes say it out loud)
Tom Gore Cab Sav
Carmen Cab Sav

Funny story… (not funny at the time)

I was having a rough work week but was happy to get a new Klipsch sub for my home theatre in the mail. I hooked it up to the 7.1 and put on some beats (not too loud)
Two of the finer bottles on the top left were a weird shape and they vibrated off the rack and fell to their demise. That’s 1.5 exploded litres of red wine all over the walls, counter and floor of my brand new house.
Plus, I was storing a box of important work documents that I put on the counter so they’d be “safe” and “out of the way”. Now that’s all soaked in red wine…
That was a very ****** 2 hour cleanup with shards of glass everywhere. Now I have to repaint some walls. Looks like I’ll be putting a rubber coating on the racks now.
ouch.

I've built a dozen or so wineries in the south Okanagan over the years, plus the subsequent additions, modifications and renovations. And for a while had a business as a rep for several wineries, selling Canadian wine both in BC and the US. I've learnt that there are as many "good" wines as there are wine drinkers, and the only wine judge whose opinion matters to me... is me.

Because of proximity and longtime relationships, I do favour Okanagan wines. Theyve come amazingly far since I arrived in Canada in 1988, when I mostly thought, "WTF is this weasel p1ss?" The next phase was, "There might be some potential here for cool climate varieties, but they're out on a limb being so far north."

All that is way in the rear view mirror now, and the quality level across the region is impressively high. With climate changing so quickly, what was occasionally possible is now achieved consistently and with distinction. The extreme northern location is now an advantage, and the American producers look at us with envy.

The wines will never be cheap, as there is so little appropriate land available, and the holdings are small and fragmented. Cool climates necessitate low yields to ensure ripeness, and most work must be done by hand because the tiny vineyards aren't efficient for mechanization. But the Okanagan wines shine for value, rather than low price. The whites especially are world class quality but at modest prices when compared to top flight bottlings from Europe and Australia. The reds are in a much more competitive market, the $30 you'll pay for something decent from BC buys a helluva good red from Oz or South Africa or Argentina. No question though that certain Okanagan reds stand up very nicely against comparably priced imports.

Happy to provide recommendations if requested, but opinions are like a$$holes...

Oh yeah I do like the black sage. It’s been in my rotation for years
If it's an anniversary or birthday dinner. This is a very nice wine. We are also a fan of the Black Sage and Burrowing Owl.

and the only wine judge whose opinion matters to me... is me.
Truer words were never spoken. I don't class myself as a wine drinker but do partake every now and again but by far my favourite is a wine from NFLD that I came across while I worked in Fort Mac years ago. It was called Rodrigues Blueberry wine. I have come across a couple from other provinces that are very similar. This was what, for many, would be classed as sly_karma said "WTF is this weasel p1ss?" but for me it's what I liked and that was all that counted. Who gives a **** what other people think about your taste in wine. My money and if cheap weasel p1ss is what I like, so be it. Anything over $20 is a waste of good money. ;) Now beer on the other hand is a different story. As a good friend of mine says, "they will never put it up to what it's worth" To each their own.

If it's an anniversary or birthday dinner. This is a very nice wine. We are also a fan of the Black Sage and Burrowing Owl.
Abbey was $52 approx at BCL maybe 2 years ago. . They increased the price beyond reason. Its nice tho.

Anything from Seven Stones in Cawston:

they still have some vintage stock available. founder and original winemaker George Hanson passed away year or so ago. George was known for aging the best reds off the property in his underground cellar for several years. The chardonnay iswas done in the burgandy style. The Rose is done with pinot noir grapes. They have a new wine maker so interesting to see how it changes the next few years. Right now many of those wine are a bargain!

Back