Downrigger not laying cable on spool evenly?

Clint r

Here’s a new one for me. My cable (yes cable) started to pile up on my rigger unevenly. Looking at it side on its shaped like a mushroom. Lots of cable on the top half of the spool and about half as much on the bottom half. It gets to a point where the top just falls down into a bunch of loose coils. I had to let it all out and manually thumb the cable up and down to get it to lay evenly on the spool. What gives? Or is this how it always is and I just never noticed it before?

Last edited:
I think you’re onto something here. My fair lead is pushed up a bit. Enough that the cable has wore a groove in the insert.
You're a cable guy so it won't matter, but if you ever switch to braid make sure
you change the pulley or you'll lose your balls !

Last edited:
You're a cable guy so it won't matter, but if you ever switch to braid make sure
you change the fairlead or you'll lose your balls !
Please explain why Scott. I had cable for the first 5 years and now braid for the last 4. What should I be looking for? Thanks

Please explain why Scott. I had cable for the first 5 years and now braid for the last 4. What should I be looking for? Thanks
Cable can wear a rough groove in the pulley.
If you were to switch to braid that groove will cut it.
Took me about 4 cannon balls to figure out what was wrong.

Back