Want to buy a NEW boat. Please help!

Too bad the outfit that had the larger Hourston moulds went dark. That may have been a contender.

Maybe have to look at buying used and doing a total refit/build to suit your style and have a great boat built to a best in class style
Even a mighty Oak must bend in the wind

I love the suggestion of a Pursuit. And if they made new ones in my size range that’s just what I’d buy. This is the pic of mine. She is great, but too big. Twin 250 Zuks. Goes great. Buuuuut, is also 25 years old. At a certain point will need to overhaul the wiring, cushions, etc. Isenglass and fuel tank already done. My dream is to start fresh without trying to find people to do the work - I’ve had not the greatest luck with contractors I’ve chosen in the past!

Take another look at Reelslim's boat near the end of the towing rig thread. Are you resolute in your conviction to W/A tiny cuddy and eisenglass when comparing to it?

Take another look at Reelslim's boat near the end of the towing rig thread. Are you resolute in your conviction to W/A tiny cuddy and eisenglass when comparing to it?
I think @ReelSlim 's boat is a beauty! I have found that the WA style works great for me and my band of noobies. I have 53 nephews and nieces and am constantly running the boat with "fresh" helpers. Having the helm and the cockpit connect has worked great for me. The isenglass is rarely up on the stern side, but can be put up if its a mess. Hard to remove the stern wall of the pilot house. :) Having a real seat to sit and drive with full views while monitoring everything on the dance floor (BIG on my boat) is an advantage for me. I've been out on several pilot house boats (Charters with @codfather and @profisher )so I've had a taste (albeit relatively small) of fishing on those boats.

I am sure I am out to lunch here, but why not get your Pursuit totally rebuilt?
I am sure there is probably a good reason but just throwing it out there.

An "older" model 255 with a newer motor and in great shape will probably fit the bill better than anything new these days. Its a shame Pursuit has gone to the Dual console setups now and ditched the wa and cuddy boats.

I am sure I am out to lunch here, but why not get your Pursuit totally rebuilt?
I am sure there is probably a good reason but just throwing it out there.
Thought about. But its a big boat. Also not sure it's cost effective. Let's say my pursuit is worth $60k, that means I have $140K to put into it to make it a "new" boat. (Because the cost of a new boat to me includes selling the pursuit) Unclear if thats a feasable number. VERY clear that it would require a ton of legwork on my part to get it done - even if I'm just the guy writing the checks.

On other news, I am trying to go see a NorthCoast 255 in person tomorrow. I'll report back what I find.

HB

An "older" model 255 with a newer motor and in great shape will probably fit the bill better than anything new these days. Its a shame Pursuit has gone to the Dual console setups now and ditched the wa and cuddy boats.
I agree its a shame that pursuit has changed their lineup. Have sent them a letter to see if they want to dust off their old molds and make me a new 2470. :) Told them there would be quite the market for them in the PNW!

Just spent a couple hours going through a Northcoast 255. Very interesting boat.

Pros:
Layout is nice, no major design “flaws”. Seated protection for 4 from sun/rain/wind while fishing. Helm area excellent visibility and ventilation. Nice dance floor. Twin yahmaha 200s. EXCELLENT access to all mechanical areas. “Stand up” head. Flat area on bow to sit/sun. Flat transition from dance floor to captains chair. V-birth long enough (I’m 6’2”). Can stand up in helm area without hitting head. Radar mount built in to hardtop.

“Mehs”:
Gunnel height a little low low my liking. Cuddy is low. Head even lower. Can’t sit on the bed without hitting my head. Live well is useless to me. “Bait station” pretty useless as well. In floor fish boxes (with macerator pump) harder to clean than above floor with gravity drain. No easy way to mount a kicker.

Head scratchers:
Nylon strap to hold transom door open - with no place to snap the strap down when door is closed. Helms chairs can’t swivel to the midline of the boat. Can’t figure out where the anchor chain/rhode go.

Not picking: some of the interior edges are very poorly finished. Single stern facing light. Big step to get down into the cuddy. No cup holders in cabin but 2 on the gunnels right where I’d place the downriggers. No footrest for navigator. Plastic porthole window frames (instead of SS)

Overall:
Very nice. No perfect boats! For the same price as the GW 232 this seemed like a much nicer boat. Next step is a sea trial and then probably a trip to the factory to see if some of my “mehs” and “head scratchers” can be addressed pre-purchase.

Hb

why not just go aluminum ? you will get more choice - look at hewescraft for some excellent boats. welded is easier to modify than fiberglass stamped out of a mold.

Back