Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

any other mentioned of big ones around breakwater? Co-worker caught a 32 within a rocks throw - said a few other solid fish were caught as well (Saturday)....just wondering if it was a lost soul from Sooke or actually some good fish holding there!

Tried some hali fishing Sunday AM in Haro, nothing but dogfish. Headed to Hamley point on Sidney Island for an hour, nothing showing on the FF. Raced back to OB flats for some rodeo fishing in the big chop. One double header passing over one of the tufts of weed dragging near bottom. One snapped leader and hatch spring about 12lb in the boat.

A friend fished Secretary on Sat with another guy and picked up 3 springs and 3 coho by 9AM and played another 8 or 9 fish. I can't wait for the size and volume of fish to migrate to the Vic side.

I can't wait for the size and volume of fish to migrate to the Vic side.

Come west now! why wait... if you like, I may be able to hold a parking spot...

btw tanx for the kicker info

Come west now! why wait... if you like, I may be able to hold a parking spot...

btw tanx for the kicker info

Yep, most of those fish never make it east of race rocks...
there might be a few slabs show in August off the harbour mouth.
(if you can put up with all the traffic slop) :eek:

Yep, most of those fish never make it east of race rocks...
there might be a few slabs show in August off the harbour mouth.
(if you can put up with all the traffic slop) :eek:

Pretty slow there this morning. The only big one came from west of the harbour mouth around noon and it weighed 28 1/2 lbs. The best I could do was 11 1/2 lbs and a pink salmon. Can't say that I would recommend it there to someone who wanted to catch a salmon.

Hey Don,

Just got back from 2 weeks over on your side of the island, ( Keats, Bowen, Jervis inlet and Nanoose ) and I think you have moved to the wrong spot : ) we had no luck, but it was mostly a boating trip.
The boat is still working well, if you come back down to this end of the island give me a ring.

Cheers
Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Went out for some after work action with Dave S. We tried between Race Rocks and Pedder, running the tidelines for the most part. We found a couple coho out just east of Race. Kept a marked and released a wild. Then it was dead for a bit, until we found a couple nice red chinook. 12lb hatchery and a 18.5lb wild. The scale read 18.5 but it sure looked a lot bigger next to the others. The wind was there, but not bad and it was a really nice sunset. Good eve.

18redspringjuly31.jpgsalmon.jpg

Hi Rich Glad to hear the boat stills going well for you. I miss the milage that she gave me compared to the new boat but thats prgress. The fishing is spotty but i am close enough to a number of different spots tha i can catch supper. French Creek orCampbell River or Alberni are all farily close. Take care Don

went out in OB for an hour or so last night before the wind brought us in.... not a sniff.. not even any dogs. dang

I'm not much of a Prawner, so please excuse my ignorance on the subject. Wife and I are taking the boat to Saltspring today, she wants to know if we can set the prawn traps? I read the regs and it looks like it's open, but I don't think they're in season are they? Thanks!

FN0687-RECREATIONAL - Shellfish - Prawn and Shrimp - Areas 17, 19, 23 "pulse fishing" closures

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Shellfish

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0687-RECREATIONAL - Shellfish - Prawn and Shrimp - Areas 17, 19, 23 "pulse fishing" closures

Recreational Prawn and Shrimp by Trap Fishers are advised that the harvest of
prawns and shrimp by trap, ring net, or spear while diving, will close in the
following Subareas as described in the Pacific Fishery Management Area
Regulations:

1. Subareas 17-5, 17-6, and 17-9 (Stuart Channel);
2. Subareas 19-7 to 19-12 inclusive (Saanich Inlet);
3. Subareas 23-1 to 23-3 inclusive (Alberni Canal).

These areas will be closed for the following periods:

- from 00:01 hours September 4 until 23:59 hours September 15, 2012;
- from 00:01 hours October 1 until 23:59 hours October 15, 2012;
- from 00:01 hours November 1 until 23:59 hours November 15, 2012;
- from 00:01 hours December 1 until 23:59 hours December 15, 2012;
- from 00:01 hours January 1, 2013, until further notice based on spawner index
testing.

The strategy of alternating closures and openings referred to as “pulse
fishing” has been reviewed and supported by the Sport Fishing Advisory Board
(SFAB) Groundfish/Shellfish Subcommittee and the SFAB main board, by the
elected industry representatives of the Prawn Commercial Caucus, and by First
Nations in the subject areas. As part of the overall management of these high
use areas, spawner index surveys are undertaken. Following October surveys,
decisions will be made and announced by early December on the possibility of
further openings or the need for winter closure from January 1 through to March
31, 2013 to allow the spawning cycle to complete.

Recreational prawn fishing in all other coastal areas remains open until
further notice subject to the results of spawner index testing which will be
conducted in October-November. Results will be announced by early December.

These actions are in accordance with the Recreational Harvest Plan, Appendix 2
of the 2012-13 Prawn and Shrimp by Trap Integrated Fishery Management Plan.

Refer to the 2011 to 2013 B.C. Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Guide for further
information on daily bag, possession and trap limits.

Variation Order Number 2012-307. Variation Order Number 2012-102 is revoked.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Laurie Convey 250-756-7233
Mike Kattilakoski 250-756-7315
David Fogtmann 250-339-3799
Brad Beaith (250) 756-7190

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0687
Sent August 2, 2012 at 11:42
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

If you have any questions or would like to unsubscribe, please contact us via e-mail to: OpsCentre@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

slow today on the flats. A few coho showing up. Some guys seemed to have luck early on Constance , but I think the full moon and big ebb hurt us today. Tides and currents look better for tommorow.

beemer

Went to constance bank today we got 6 springs all around 12lbs nothing too big but saw a few big one's caught. All in 3 hours. Great day!

Hooked a couple nice Springs today and lost them both as well as a nice one yesterday due to some very soft Gamakatsu bronze trebles.
3 fish in a row lost on straightened hooks.:mad:
the rest of them went overboard.
Owners or VMC trebles from now on.

Gami's work fine but no matter what brand you choose you need the 4x strong hooks. Gami's make a weak version 1x and 2x so does owner and likely every other brand. Get the 4x strong hooks they should hold. I know the hook your talking about I learned that lesson the hard way with those weak gami's as well.

took some friends with kids out on C bank this morning from 8-4, beautiful day on the water, didnt get a sniff till 3:30 with about a 12 pounder, got it up to the boat and the kids were leaning over the rails for a peak, needless to say the fish did one last head pull causing me to whack one of the kids across the head with the rod and while apologising and consoling the little guy the fish got off, I guess we'll have to dig into the freezer for the BBQ tonight, it was a good day none the less, we pulled into shore and jigged up a tonne of rock fish to add a little excitement and each kid got a pic taken with his prize and all were tossed back, didnt see many other nets in the water all day, never made it to the haly hole as we really wanted that salmon for dinner

There was a lot of weeds in the water and we seemed to hook up a bunch of large bull kelps loose along the bottom because it felt like bottom with no head pulls but was still 15 feet off the bottom(on the downrigger) when we hooked it and when we maneuvered to straight line the gear it rose to the surface and broke off saving the gear, we hooked up three or for times like this,

Went out to OB Flats for a quick troll and a bit of jigging 10 to 2 Pm nota sniff but watched Craven hook up with a fish didn't realized you lost that one. Thats the 2nd time I trolled by you as have hooked up. Have to get up a little earlier I guess. Still a great day to be out picked up a couple of crabs on the way home.

Hooked a couple nice Springs today and lost them both as well as a nice one yesterday due to some very soft Gamakatsu bronze trebles.
3 fish in a row lost on straightened hooks.:mad:
the rest of them went overboard.
Owners or VMC trebles from now on.

Maybe your drag is too tight! LOL!

Back