Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Take a look at the Big Wave Dave web cam archives to see some of the "calm seas" off Ogden Point. Lately, it seems about one boat out of 10 will get a fish. In august, on a peak day, it's probably one out of every 3 or 4 boats. I've had many good days there with multiple fish, but generally speaking, it's a repetative, stick and stay place to fish. You proably notice that the guide boats don't fish it very often, and if I fished out of a bigger boat with a longer range I'd probably fish other areas more often. By the way, the only fish that I saw caught were the ones I got last Sunday and Tuesday. On the last two sundays there 20 boats or more off the waterfront. There may have been others caught , but I didn't see them and only the white double eagle said that he had caught something.

Last edited by a moderator:
yep.....watch out for those pilot boats.......the Coho ferry can kick up a pretty good set of rollers as well....

I was on the breakwater one time when the pilot boat went out.......was standing there watching it.

2 guys that were fishing the inside in a small Evy powered 12 foot punt had their boat capsized by the wake of p.boat.

They were both in the water. Luckily they were rescued.

Guess the pilot boat was unaware of what happened.....he kept chugging straight out to sea.

It's not just the pilot boats. Last Sunday I had a Grady White ( no name on it) slow down near me and it set up a standing wave that broke over the bow and into my boat. What an inconsiderate thing to do, and they never even realized what their wake was doing. Actually, since the pilot boats got in s++t for capsizing a small boat they have been much better. The worst are many of the tourist boats that want to pass as close as possible to the end of the breakwater and get right between the fishing boats. For some reason, it seems that many of them own Bayliners. I remember a guide boat having a 30 b spirng on the line and a cigarette boat wound it's way between the tightly packed boats and then cut straight across the stern of the boat cutting the line. The guide chased the boat down screaming at the couldn't care less boaters. Yep, it can get nuts down there at times.

Porcupine- I run a GW and was fishing Clover Point to McCauley last Sunday (there were other Grady's around as well). If I set off a wave that hit you, my sincerest apologies. I am very mindful of the effects of waves and wouldn't have intentially done that to anyone. I ran a tinny for 25 years and have experience off the waterfront. I don't recall being that close to anyone under power as I was trolling most of the day. In any case, if it was me, accept my apologies pls.

really guys, if you're in a boat so small that boat wake can cause you to capsize you need to ask yourself if you're in the appropriate vessel for the conditions. I know some guys get a kick out of fishing the saltwater in small boats but its a very busy harbor and there is going to be big waves. Consider the wake and waves of the harbor mouth as part of the local weather pattern, its not going to change.

Even if you are in the right you could be the one swimming - I'd rather be wrong and dry then right and wet.

I hate those pilot boats. When did that small boat get capsized? I was out a few weeks ago and a pilot boat came straight for us from a long ways out. He got so close I thought he was going to talk to us or board us or something he seemed to want to get as close to me as possible. We were trolling and almost at the end of the breakwall. I had to get my buddy to put us in neutral as the pilot boat cut across my bow no more then 5 meters from the end of the wall. It was like he had to cut it as close as possible with no regard for who he cut off or thrashed with his wake.

I was the only boat there and there was tons of room for him to go out and around and give ample space. I think they do it on purpose because they don't like the extra traffic there. I dont even care about the wakes I understand it's a working harbour and i am prepared to watch out for traffic/wakes but SAFETY FIRST there is no reason to get so close to a small boat. Especially when there was so much room to go out and around it would add 30 seconds to his trip back to the dock. Be careful out there the working boats often don't give any consideration to pleasure boats in the area.

really guys, if you're in a boat so small that boat wake can cause you to capsize you need to ask yourself if you're in the appropriate vessel for the conditions. I know some guys get a kick out of fishing the saltwater in small boats but its a very busy harbor and there is going to be big waves. Consider the wake and waves of the harbor mouth as part of the local weather pattern, its not going to change.

Even if you are in the right you could be the one swimming - I'd rather be wrong and dry then right and wet.

I suppose that there is something to what you're saying. But I still believe that power boats that can easily maneuver (i.e. if you not a ferry and smaller than 80 feet, which is about 99% of the recreational fishers) owe a responsibility to mind their wakes when it could affect a small vessel. The small vessels we are talking about are almost always near the shore or a harbour, where speeds should always be moderate anyway. I find that, unlike on roads, there is always plenty of room to ensure that your wake is not a problem. People pay a fortune to come here to see the sights, so I slow down and enjoy them too! It's a big ocean and there's room for everyone, bathtubs, kayaks, yachts...

Pilot

The Pilot boat seems to be better lately. Two years ago, I had a big spring on, boat in neutral and the pilot went full speed between me and the wall. I was maybe 300ft from the wall in my 16' skookum. He sent a 4 foot wave over the boat soaking us. We yelled at the Pilot and then he turns around, stops and complains we are in his way. I filed a complaint with Transport Canada and it definitely slowed him down.

Next time, take video with your phone showing the Pilot going 20 knots out of the harbour and file a complaint. The Coho always slows down but the Pilot likes to run you over.

I suppose that there is something to what you're saying. But I still believe that power boats that can easily maneuver (i.e. if you not a ferry and smaller than 80 feet, which is about 99% of the recreational fishers) owe a responsibility to mind their wakes when it could affect a small vessel. The small vessels we are talking about are almost always near the shore or a harbour, where speeds should always be moderate anyway. I find that, unlike on roads, there is always plenty of room to ensure that your wake is not a problem. People pay a fortune to come here to see the sights, so I slow down and enjoy them too! It's a big ocean and there's room for everyone, bathtubs, kayaks, yachts...

I agree with everything you're saying, but remember some boats put out a bigger wake when going slow then when up on a full plane - but you're right for the most part there should be room for all. My point is it really doesn't matter if you're in the right or the wrong if you're boat gets capsized you're getting wet at best and at worst you drown.

Glad to hear the pilot boats have gotten the message, they were acting like complete a$$holes.

Glad to hear the pilot boats have gotten the message, they were acting like complete a$$holes.

totally, saw many time, they ignore the speed limit, and run very close to wall, and generate huge waves, that give those shore caster a hard time...those butt just don't like sports fishing...

fishing was slow for me this weekend in OB... after a great night of fishing on Thurs, things slowed down quite a bit.

out from 1 saturday and couldnt keep the dogs off the chovie. had a nice sized spring on at one point that shook the hook out. things got a little mucky later in the evening and we headed into marina around 7.

sun - went out early before 6. few big bites that took the whole chovi, then back to the dog fish. wind/rain caused us to come back in round 9.

the dogs have been thick all around OB lately. can be a huge pain in the rear... try and go low and get under them i guess? had a few bite right thru and take the baithead and both hooks.

as for the pilot boats.. i have been off breakwater and had them go by far too close and far too fast. always get the impression they are sending a message. they need to chill out - they may have the best job in Victoria so they can relax for a few mins out the harbour;)

I agree with everything you're saying, but remember some boats put out a bigger wake when going slow then when up on a full plane - but you're right for the most part there should be room for all. My point is it really doesn't matter if you're in the right or the wrong if you're boat gets capsized you're getting wet at best and at worst you drown.

Your totally right I noticed that today (we are usually the small boat getting tossed by big wake) but now we are bigger 18' fg and if we haul butt you can see the wake just dissipates quickly but if we go medium speed the wake is deeper and spreads further out. Tho you look like a asshole going fast your actually creating less wake.

Porcupine- I run a GW and was fishing Clover Point to McCauley last Sunday (there were other Grady's around as well). If I set off a wave that hit you, my sincerest apologies. I am very mindful of the effects of waves and wouldn't have intentially done that to anyone. I ran a tinny for 25 years and have experience off the waterfront. I don't recall being that close to anyone under power as I was trolling most of the day. In any case, if it was me, accept my apologies pls.

It happened at 12:20 and the boat was a about 50 yards away when it slowed down just outside the breakwater. I don't know who it was and I'm sure it ws not done deliberately. When you fish close to the end of the breakwater opposing currents can cause a large wave and that's what happened.

Our fishing club has been around since 1933 and has a fleet of 25 boats, none of which is more than 12' in length. I've never heard of one of our boats capsizing, but some of the people not familiar with small boats do get in trouble. Eight of us have switched to CHIEF boats made by Bill Miner in Duncan and they have lots of freeboard for their size and are very stable.

It happened at 12:20 and the boat was a about 50 yards away when it slowed down just outside the breakwater. I don't know who it was and I'm sure it ws not done deliberately. When you fish close to the end of the breakwater opposing currents can cause a large wave and that's what happened.

Our fishing club has been around since 1933 and has a fleet of 25 boats, none of which is more than 12' in length. I've never heard of one of our boats capsizing, but some of the people not familiar with small boats do get in trouble. Eight of us have switched to CHIEF boats made by Bill Miner in Duncan and they have lots of freeboard for their size and are very stable.

Porcupine, I left the breakwater around 1000. Must have been another Grady.. There were a few out there.

my observations and opinions re: pilot boat and the wall

Fishing the wall is a place to exercise patience, concentration, and consideration. We choose to fish there and could choose to fish else where. Except for the guides we fish for pleasure so make it so.

The Pilot is working and has no choice but to round the pt of the breakwater many times a day. When I see the pilot/coho/cruise ships/large vessles coming I alter course appropriatly as much in advance as possible and try to clear the point (or obvious path of the pilot) and retreat back towards beacon hill side of breakwater. The pilot is most likely reflecting the lack of consideration he gets from us fellow sports fishermen. Not all of us but some and only takes a few immature apples. I think the pilot recognizes my efforts and boat and i get the occasional wave.Maybe when I have the 30lber on he will give me a break.

My biggest peeve with the breakwater are our own fellow fishers who tail gate you when you are trolling along. Then when the big when hits after 18hrs of trolling it runs into their gear. Be good to one another. It all comes around especially with the internets and forums like this.

my observations and opinions re: pilot boat and the wall
My biggest peeve with the breakwater are our own fellow fishers who tail gate you when you are trolling along. Then when the big when hits after 18hrs of trolling it runs into their gear. Be good to one another. It all comes around especially with the internets and forums like this.

This really irks me too, so I try to stay away from the other boats. When you have two downriggers and lines out, and you're by yourself, it takes a while to get everything in and under controll.

I'll be out there tomorrow hoping that the big springs start to roll in.

I guess the fishing forums changes to a traffic & safety forum when the fishing is slow. Out with my son today just after slack on the flats, moved around to south end of Trial Island (Staines pt) and hung out in the kelp looking for lazy slabs...no luck but it was a great day anyway.

Bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work :)

went out to constance today, on the water from 6:30 -1, didnt get a sniff from any salmon and saw only one caught and released, before calling it quits we hit the haly hole and had our two chickens within 10 minutes and as it would happen you bonk your limit and starting to bleed them and as you bring up the other line to pull out you get the biggest of the three and have to toss it back. tried around the flats for an hour but only dogs.

we also pulled up some crazy kind of rockfish, bright yellow with mouth like a ling but short and stubby body with tonnes of spikes all over it and the thing had these whisker like protrusions from above its eyes.
Japanese fish radiation victim?

we also pulled up some crazy kind of rockfish, bright yellow with mouth like a ling but short and stubby body with tonnes of spikes all over it and the thing had these whisker like protrusions from above its eyes.

After a bottle of rye, I hooked up with a girl at the Capital Iron x-mas party once that fits that description.

Back