Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Heading down to Vic this weekend, could bring the boat...any word on sox at the bluffs yet?
Thanks in advance.
Smiley.

rumours of fish drove me west, but not far enough. fished pedder, christopher pt whirl bay and church yesterday. two on at sunrise, one shaker and one likely 12 beside the boat lost with broken leader beside boat. no other bites and few fish or bait on the sounder for another 6 hrs. Saw one net out amongst about 20 boat and the jackass kept a barely legal chinook.

What makes him a jackass if it was legal?
Could you see that it was a chinook?
Maybe it was a bleeder?
Maybe they had as slow a day as you did and wanted to go home with a fish for the BBQ?

Tips

It was just before 6am, we were right beside him, it was about a 3-4lb chinook right into the net, and a big celebration. Infrequent fishers celebrating.

Was out yesterday and the Coho are showing up. Picked up a couple of nice sized clipped ones on the outside of the Brotchie Ledge marker.

Pretty slow off the waterfront this morning, only two caught near the breakwall. The whale watching boat Ocean Magic plowed right into the middle of a group of 6 fishing boats and almost rammed one, missed by only a couple of feet. I called the harbour patrol on the VHF and made a complaint. The Ocean Magic could have easily avoided the boats but was detemined to go through them and pass very close to the end of the breakwall. The stupidity was not limited to the whale watchers either. I had one fishing boat ride my tail within 20 to 30 feet then pass and cut in front just as close. If either of us had a strike it would have been lost in the others gear. Sometimes I wonder about people.

start bringing a loud speaker let them know how unethical there driving tactics are. dosnt really look good for the boat load of people or all the tourtist on the breakwater. call better business bureau. mabey the captains will ship up if they start getting complaints.

thanks for the update Rockfish!

Went out to learn more about halibut fishing with Dave S. Fished in the William Head area and put down 3 rods with mackerel, herring and a salmon belly. Got a couple of ticks on my rod immediately , that was probably a dogfish. Ten minutes later Dave’s rod went off and he was into something decent. Eventually a nice halibut came up, Dave handed the rod to me and he neatly harpooned the fish. We had a 35lb’der already!
More bounces on my rod, I pumped something halfway up and then I felt it come off. Another dogfish or hali? Who knows. Rebait. Twenty minutes later, the middle rod went and Dave handed it to me and I reeled in a nice 14lb fish. My first hali! And so we were done after 90 minutes total! Then, as we were hauling in the other two rods to head off for salmon, another one hit and when we got this 15lb'der up we quickly released it with the aid of pliers. Great day on the water and with lots of ticks and pulls, and two fish it was certainly full of action. Thx for a fantastic day Dave and my wife and I will have hali and chips tonight!!

Went out to learn more about halibut fishing with Dave S. Fished in the William Head area and put down 3 rods with mackerel, herring and a salmon belly. Got a couple of ticks on my rod immediately , that was probably a dogfish. Ten minutes later Dave’s rod went off and he was into something decent. Eventually a nice halibut came up, Dave handed the rod to me and he neatly harpooned the fish. We had a 35lb’der already!
More bounces on my rod, I pumped something halfway up and then I felt it come off. Another dogfish or hali? Who knows. Rebait. Twenty minutes later, the middle rod went and Dave handed it to me and I reeled in a nice 14lb fish. My first hali! And so we were done after 90 minutes total! Then, as we were hauling in the other two rods to head off for salmon, another one hit and when we got this 15lb'der up we quickly released it with the aid of pliers. Great day on the water and with lots of ticks and pulls, and two fish it was certainly full of action. Thx for a fantastic day Dave and my wife and I will have hali and chips tonight!!

Congrats on your first halibut! I saw a couple charter boats did very well on halibuts
at Conny bank yesterday. Enjoy the fish and chips!

Just like English said, it was a great day on the water for us. Thanks for sharing in the fun Roly! Here's some photos.......

DSC_0407.JPG

DSC_0424.JPG

DSC_0419.JPG

DSC_0414.JPG

big hali on at constance, may need some help. White boat, blue stripe. south side.2508898302

Update, epic 2 1/2 hour battle, didnt get to the surface, and then it spit it out. Tons of fun, and if iy was that big, i would habe released anyway.

Awsome man! Some guy fought a Hali at the head for 45 mins yesterday. Somone came out of the fog and cut him off.

Hali rod or salmon rod?

-Steve

Back