Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

After a bottle of rye, I hooked up with a girl at the Capital Iron x-mas party once that fits that description.

Was that appearance the "night of".....or the dreaded "morning after"; rye CAN do strange things to people's perception???? :p ;)

Sounds like you have a sweet spot rover! Do you get them quick all the time or was that an exception?

Sounds like you have a sweet spot rover! Do you get them quick all the time or was that an exception?

we troll them with spoons and weve got the spot pretty well pinpointed but we usually take a couple passes to pick one up but they seem to congregate pretty tight in that area and it produces fairly consistantly, but it is fishing not killing so weve diffinatly done worse. with the current against us today we were able to stay directly above it so that cut down the time considerably, another boat passing behind us picked one up there too today, Its always chickens though, never had anything over 25 pounds

Theyre nice to get but we were deffinatly more interested in salmon today

Last edited by a moderator:
A little slow on the post....but better late than never. With the wind a no-show on Tuesday eve, my buddy, his girlfriend and I jumped in my boat at Mcauley and made the 20minute zip around to Church island for the most action packed fishing that I have had in a while. They weren't big springs but we were into the highest concentration of Coho that I have ever seen personally. There were hundreds on the surface and with no wind you could look down into the water and see them ripping around. We played about 25 fish in 1.5 hours and had our limit. Spoons did it for us....would have been a lot of work with bait!

So, we were limited quickly on Coho but still wanted to fish so we decided to head back around the other side a race a little bit and drift back in with the flood and see if we could grab anything. Nice 12-14 chicken 20 minutes in.

We called that an epic eve on the water. Fire up the BBQ!

Screen Shot 2012-07-27 at 8.27.30 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-07-27 at 8.27.03 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-07-27 at 8.26.14 AM.jpg:D

Last edited by a moderator:
A little slow on the post....but better late than never. With the wind a no-show on Tuesday eve, my buddy, his girlfriend and I jumped in my boat at Mcauley and made the 20minute zip around to Church island for the most action packed fishing that I have had in a while. They weren't big springs but we were into the highest concentration of Coho that I have ever seen personally. There were hundreds on the surface and with no wind you could look down into the water and see them ripping around. We played about 25 fish in 1.5 hours and had our limit. Spoons did it for us....would have been a lot of work with bait!

While we were floating having a beer and enjoying sun after limitting...a trimaran wind-lessy limped along and the guy called over to see if we had any luck....we had. They'd been dragging a hootchie with nothing(although I don't know if they had any weight involved). We offered up and passed over some dinner to them. They were stoked and so were we because we then got to drop the lines again.This time it was a little competition to see who could get the next hatch coho in the boat solo the quickest, and gaff release the wild with no assistance. The game was over in 15.

So, we were limited quickly on Coho but still wanted to fish so we decided to head back around the other side a race a little bit and drift back in with the flood and see if we could grab anything. Nice 12-14 chicken 20 minutes in.

We called that an epic eve on the water. Fire up the BBQ!

View attachment 4354View attachment 4355View attachment 4356:D

Glad you had a great time etc, but what you juist posted on this site is illegal. You are not allowed to catch your limit, give some away, and then fill you limit again. Be careful what you post as you don't know who is reading it.

Glad you had a great time etc, but what you juist posted on this site is illegal. You are not allowed to catch your limit, give some away, and then fill you limit again. Be careful what you post as you don't know who is reading it.

Yup, porcupine is right.
an innocent mistake i'm sure.
nice to hear you had such good fishing !

Fished the flats for about 1-1/2 hours in the south west slop this afternoon.
no springs, but we got 30 and 15 lb Halibut on Baitrix strip.
Tons of bait, both needlefish and 4" herring.

fished waterfront area from 10-1230. no fish but sounded lots of bait at all depts. my three year old wouldnt let me wait for the bite to turn on. heading west tomorrow.

jl

Fished the flats for about 1-1/2 hours in the south west slop this afternoon.
no springs, but we got 30 and 15 lb Halibut on Baitrix strip.
Tons of bait, both needlefish and 4" herring.
. Nice you got hally while on the downriger you did that on purpuse ,thats a great trip getting hallys is always good .boomer

Well done mr Craven. Always a bonus! I was on the flat 2 weeks ago. We trolled for 3hrs 1 evening. We didn't have even a sniff. So before heading in, I told my buddy, let's jig for a bit. He said ok, and 20 min later we had a 30 pound Hali in e boat. Total fluke, but it salvaged the last 2 trips there!

Hi Mr Craven i now live in parksville and i have no halibut in my fridge Thanks in advance

I laughed... One of the trade offs of living up there. Hope you're enjoying it Don

Hey Scott Chelsea and i were hoping you could come up for the official launching. They fish 225ft deep up here might need some help dragging them up from down there. There is beer and newfie SCREECH waiTing for you . Take care talk soon Chelsea AND dON

Yeah i know Don, the thing with horse shows and 17 year old daughters is the whole 4 day event is like one big stress test. All i could do was stand back and shut-up. Enough horse crap, lets get on with some fishing reports!! Talk to ya soon Don.

Back