Tuna tackle

Thanks for taking the time to post up the bird build. Those look easy and cool. You could build some smaller ones, paint them green, and run them in a chain like your buddies store bought ones.

I don't like that kind of bird-they can come flying out of the water and those hard wings can damage your fingers badly-much prefer the soft style no you can't make them but they are cheap to buy much cheaper than bandages & splints.

SB-6200.jpg

Was just in SoCal and picked some tuna gear up..These "ToroTamers" look so great,cant wait to try them out on the "slide" and jigging.Also got a couple more MXL's loaded with Cortland blue for a good price!
I got my daughter part of her xmas gift,SXJ in purple(favorite color!)
Hope she can land her first Albi in 2014!

256.jpg257.jpg260.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the look of that new SXJ. I have a set of 4 SX I use for light jigging applications and love them but the new J looks much more manageable for people not used to lever drags ( much less line guiding ) . Lucky daughter !

That will be the program for me next season.Let the hand lines load up,slow down to idle, then let the tuna hang, and chuck iron at the rest of the buggers!

The SXJ is amazing for its size,can crank down to 14# of SMOOTH drag...more than enough for any hally or tuna in these waters!

Estate Sale!!!!! Tuna Gear.....

A friend of mine lost her husband who was a commercial tuna fisherman. Young guy great captain. Just was made aware there are boxes of tackle she wants to sell. I told her I'd try and get a couple guys to come have a look and make her an offer. The family has no use for it.

Please contact me directly to arrange a day/time to have a peek.

No,I rented a car last year and did the tackle shop tour down there...driving in SoCal is to stressful for this guy!
I called and put my order in and they sent the package to my hotel free...very good service!
Yip, its crazy traffic down there. When its moving you better move too, or you get tail gated and cut off like mad. Im gonna have to check out the tackle stores next time down. Where is Charkbait located?

That will be the program for me next season.Let the hand lines load up,slow down to idle, then let the tuna hang, and chuck iron at the rest of the buggers!

The SXJ is amazing for its size,can crank down to 14# of SMOOTH drag...more than enough for any hally or tuna in these waters!

Looks like the ticket to me!!!!

I'm sure there is other threads for this,but I made this for tuna,so it's tackle to me!
I'm thinking of running it in the center between the 2 dive boards.
VERY curious to see how many fish are following when all the lines are loaded up!

Parts cost $33!

001 (2).jpg003 (2).jpg004 (2).jpg007 (2).jpg008 (2).jpg

^ NICE setup, very creative. Hopefully it tracks straight and you wont have to 'shakey' of a video. Definitely would be cool to see what is actually happening back there if fish are around!

Nice setups, Carl!! :)

Thanks but those aren't mine they're from http://www.tailchaserlures.com/ who also have some of the smallest jetheads ever 3.5" long.

Anyway this is the new shank here been looking for something since I determined that the old Frosts as shown wasn't the real deal for Tuna it takes a decent edge but the blade is all wrong not bad just awkward.

So the guys on BD seem to like the Victorinox Cimeter 10" blade and it was cheap on Ebay about $40.Don't like the handle as much as the Frosts it doesn't seem to be the same Fibrox handle as the one I handled in a store so we'll see.

IMGP3397_zps74b81f4f.jpg

Lastly these Rapalas are cheap, cheap, cheap I heard they have new model coming out guess that's why.

1338340340167-313011430.jpeg

http://shop.mavericktackle.com/Rapala-X-Rap-Magnum-Xrap-30-Rap-001.htm

Back