To bottom paint or not?

And as Wolf stated earlier, always use a stainless steel brush to clean your zincs. This is an absolute must, only use a stainless brush and clean the oxidation from the zincs regularly.

Where ever you must use stainless bolts to mount anything to the hull try to sheath it with a plastic insert and plastic washer to separate it from contact with the hull. Galvanic corrosion will start whenever dissimilar metals are in contact. If strength is not super important in a fastener you can purchase aluminum nuts and bolts to attach smaller things to the hull.

You have to be super careful about not having metal fasteners work loose and get into your bilge if you are permanently moored. Any metal parts in your bilge water will conduct electricity and can actually eat a hole in your hull.

I just mounted a new bilge pump to a starboard plate and made sure I used aluminum nuts and bolts because water conducts electricity and you don't want that happening. You can also buy plastic nuts and bolts for fastening where strength is not required. Any dissimilar metals will start eating away at your expensive investment. The average store will not carry these alternate types of fasteners, but you can order them online. A bit more hassel finding them, but worth it for the extra protection from corrosion.

And as Wolf stated earlier, always use a stainless steel brush to clean your zincs. This is an absolute must, only use a stainless brush and clean the oxidation from the zincs regularly.

Where ever you must use stainless bolts to mount anything to the hull try to sheath it with a plastic insert and plastic washer to separate it from contact with the hull. Galvanic corrosion will start whenever dissimilar metals are in contact. If strength is not super important in a fastener you can purchase aluminum nuts and bolts to attach smaller things to the hull.

You have to be super careful about not having metal fasteners work loose and get into your bilge if you are permanently moored. Any metal parts in your bilge water will conduct electricity and can actually eat a hole in your hull.

I just mounted a new bilge pump to a starboard plate and made sure I used aluminum nuts and bolts because water conducts electricity and you don't want that happening. You can also buy plastic nuts and bolts for fastening where strength is not required. Any dissimilar metals will start eating away at your expensive investment. The average store will not carry these alternate types of fasteners, but you can order them online. A bit more hassel finding them, but worth it for the extra protection from corrosion.

Also another note, use a respirator when cleaning oxide of zinc anodes.

I made the mistake of breathing that dust in and paid dearly for a day or two.

Back