Trailer bunk adjustment?

chille51

Hey all, since I got my boat last year I have noticed that no matter what I do, it always wants to settle on the trailer a little further to the starboard side. Sometimes it overhangs the fender a little on that side, though usually more like just an inch or two out of centre. When I first got it I had all the bunk supports replaced at the shop, and I wonder if they didn't perfectly centre them when they went back on. I have to boat off the trailer today, so have an oppopportunity to make some tweaks, but don't want to go in not knowing what I'm doing and inadvertently make things worse. Any tips on what to look for or adjust to get the boat to centre better?

I have my bunks set up so that they are just outboard of the hull strakes. It's pretty easy to mark the centerline of the trailer, measure the width of the strakes at the transom, and then with the boat off the trailer make adjustments to the bunk brackets so that the bunks are aligned with the strakes.

Here are some pics from when I installed my trim tabs that show where the boat typically sits in relation to the bunks. Note the Port side is a little off the lifting strake. Can't really measure the transom right now as the boat is in the water.

1000001489.jpg

1000001379.jpg0

I'll add that having a nicely set up trailer makes the whole launching and recovery process so much easier. With my bunk trailer I don't back in too deep, and then I gently power the boat on to the trailer which for my boat seems to help centre the hull between the bunks.

The other trick is to set the winch mast in the right spot along with the bow chock. I can feel the boat nestle in to the bow chock and I can actually lean forward at the bow and fasten the winch strap from the boat.

Last item: my bunks had carpeting on them which was well-worn. I wanted "slick" bunks but the prices for UHMW pads or whole bunks was $$$. Instead, I got new bunk boards and bought PVC fascia boards from a local big-box building store. Used deeply countersunk screws to secure the PVC fascia boards to the bunk boards.

Back