Aluminum boat owners - What are you going to use for Antifouling bottom paint?

Hot-Streak

I am looking at redoing the Anti fouling on my hull in the spring.

With Trilux II now unavailable and Trilux 33 not for sale in Canada, what are you fellow Aluminum boat owners using for Antifouling? The only ones available around here are copper based.

I've been told "just use the copper stuff as long as you have a good layer of epoxy" but there will be risk to the boat on the exposed aluminum or if you get a scrape that exposes the hull.

Has anyone found a good alternative?

I am looking at redoing the Anti fouling on my hull in the spring.

With Trilux II now unavailable and Trilux 33 not for sale in Canada, what are you fellow Aluminum boat owners using for Antifouling? The only ones available around here are copper based.

I've been told "just use the copper stuff as long as you have a good layer of epoxy" but there will be risk to the boat on the exposed aluminum or if you get a scrape that exposes the hull.

Has anyone found a good alternative?
My bottom paint needs doing big time but from what I have heard I’ll need to strip off everything down to bare aluminum put on 5 layers of “primer” and then use the stuff they use for fibreglass boats, I’m hoping something comes out soon here that is an easier transition

My bottom paint needs doing big time but from what I have heard I’ll need to strip off everything down to bare aluminum put on 5 layers of “primer” and then use the stuff they use for fibreglass boats, I’m hoping something comes out soon here that is an easier transition
I've already done the 4 layers of epoxy from when I did my bottom the first time. I too am hoping they come out with something but Canada is such as small market its not likely.

I've already done the 4 layers of epoxy from when I did my bottom the first time. I too am hoping they come out with something but Canada is such as small market its not likely.
I used interprotect 2000E for my epoxy layer. According the guys at trotac that would be what they recommend for a base epoxy layer before the copper antifouling BUT I am still not keen to use a copper based antifoul

We used Seahawk Colorkote on Feral 1 and it’s held up very well. Applied it over two layers of barrier paint.

Thanks for the info. Looking at the link it says that product has copper. I assume you have an epoxy layer on the hull before this antifouling paint?

My paint guy is doing 6 coats of interprotect with CSC. With a small border. If you talk to an interlux rep that's also what they are recommending. Trilux was **** paint anyway. It won't really be missed.

Thanks for the info. Looking at the link it says that product has copper. I assume you have an epoxy layer on the hull before this antifouling paint?
Yup. Agate Pass Marine is our top bottom paint shops out here. Bob started with sand blasting the new hull, then added the primer and barrier coats. Then the Colorkote.

Attachments

• gTpf6h1ARgCGMQ3dmtTGkw.jpeg
    gTpf6h1ARgCGMQ3dmtTGkw.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3025.png
    IMG_3025.png
    975.7 KB · Views: 56

I went through the same thing last year and thought we were going to have to take it to bare aluminum. After a talking to a bunch of product reps we just sanded down to the primer and did the micron csc. It’s held up really well. Better than the trilux and as ship happens mentioned, leave a buffer strip.

I went through the same thing last year and thought we were going to have to take it to bare aluminum. After a talking to a bunch of product reps we just sanded down to the primer and did the micron csc. It’s held up really well. Better than the trilux and as ship happens mentioned, leave a buffer strip.

That’s awesome thanks Kelly

I am wondering the same thing right now. Contemplating blasting it to bare aluminum and leaving it that way. Copper scares me since there is always potential to chip the barrier coat while trailering. Perhaps with a better barrier coat than I currently have it will be fine.

Can anyone recommend the best place to have it repainted - somewhat close to Nanaimo.

My buddy brought his boat here under my covered parking got a guy with a mobile blasting unit come here he used walnut shell and did everything. I must admit was skeptical but after seeing it what a great job and then he starting putting the primers on made life so much easier. if I had to redo bottom that would be the only route id take as it made for a nice clen surface to start from..

My buddy brought his boat here under my covered parking got a guy with a mobile blasting unit come here he used walnut shell and did everything. I must admit was skeptical but after seeing it what a great job and then he starting putting the primers on made life so much easier. if I had to redo bottom that would be the only route id take as it made for a nice clen surface to start from..
Having scraped and sanded I agree never again.

Micron CSC still has copper. If it was ok then why did we have special aluminum bottom paint before? I am not convinced that just using this now is fine because all of a sudden we have no option without copper. There is are reason they developed those non-copper based anti fouling paint.

Micron CSC still has copper. If it was ok then why did we have special aluminum bottom paint before? I am not convinced that just using this now is fine because all of a sudden we have no option without copper. There is are reason they developed those non-copper based anti fouling paint.
I agree. Interlux website specifically says this:
"Antifouling paint used for aluminium should not contain cuprous oxide biocide as the high copper content can lead to corrosion problems unless the hull is expertly painted and protected using sophisticated impressed current protection systems."
However they also tell you to use Micron CSC (which has copper oxide) for Aluminum boats now. Contradicting themselves. As much of a pain as it sounds pulling the boat every couple of weeks, I'm leaning toward no more bottom paint.

I agree. Interlux website specifically says this:
"Antifouling paint used for aluminium should not contain cuprous oxide biocide as the high copper content can lead to corrosion problems unless the hull is expertly painted and protected using sophisticated impressed current protection systems."
However they also tell you to use Micron CSC (which has copper oxide) for Aluminum boats now. Contradicting themselves. As much of a pain as it sounds pulling the boat every couple of weeks, I'm leaning toward no more bottom paint.
Yes I too am leaning to pulling the boat and washing the bottom every few weeks as well. I have also have a ultra sonic anti fouling device I'll likely install too.

If someone in this group has a friend in the US that is coming up to visit and could bring a few cans that would be a solution as well.

Back