This the "Year Of The Spoon"?

I have a Superior....but it's probably the wrong color...maybe I'll give the Clendon Stewart another bath too after I throw a hook on it.

tried making a version of the Blueberry Muffin...

015.jpg

Hey seafever,

I am just wondering did you get some spoons from Owen? I got some spoons from Owen that i made an offer. I dont have the 6" or 7" Clendon just a couples of 5.5" . I had superior spoons. All sold but I can get more. Let me know if you want the chrome Superior spoons?

Discus

Spoons and hoochies---a dead heat at Constance Bank

Never seen so many post where guys are using spoons this year.......

No "mystery" hoochies, no "killer' hoochies....no "what hoochy should I use" posts......well.....almost none.

Spoons it is ?.....

We have been puzzling over the same question. So when I am fishing with my two buddies, we often put down one hoochie (up till this time of year a squirt) , and one
spoon.

For winter springs, the green and white coho killers were working perhaps just slightly better than green and white or blue an white "splatter back" squirts.

We have been searching for larger migratory fish, but almost all the fish recently have been at constance, on the bottom in 90-120 feet of water. On Sat May 1st, both double "hookups" (we lost 1 keeper, landed 3 7-8 lbs) were on a spoon and a hoochie (UV).

So, it seemed to us that the lure type (hooch vs spoon) wasn't important. What seemed to be important was
1. Size and visibility --- small--needlefish size
2. Location
3. Fish being there and "on the bite"
That is our best observations for Constance in the first week of May.

Hopefully they will shift to larger spoons (due to later fish and larger bait) soon

Thanks to other posters for their spoon pattern suggestions.
We have been wondering about that Irish Cream spoon--great spoon or just hype and marketing?

Everybody should have the Silver Horde "Irish Crème" spoon (in a few different sizes) in their artillery......

That spoon is one of the very good ones out there....works in a lot of places.

Question for Sculpin and Seafever: Isn't this the standard?

When the fish are there, you catch fish. When the fish are not there or spread out thinly, the HEAVY METAL wisdom requires a living mortal sacrifice to Ullatec, or more purchasing of random gear/Seafever redesigns until the schools of fish return.

LOL

Most metal/plastic/bait when washed long enough with saltwater in the correct location (in front of and slightly above the fish) will catch fish.

:confused::eek::confused:............:confused::cool:...............:)..............:confused::confused:..............:cool:

Not sure what you mean..........

I just see lots of posts where spoons are being used more than hoochies right now it seems.

I use both at certain times.

Does one thing outfish another, even when there's lots of fish around?...in my personal opinion yes.

Then of course you see the posts where , in exactly the same area, one guy goes out and gets nothing and another guy gets several, on the same day same place same time.

I ain't fixin' to fish only spoons this year though.

A lot of things work.......but there are some things that work WAAAAAY better than other things.........:p

I've tried the theory that "if you fish a lure for long enough in area that has fish...eventually you will catch one" on numerous occasions to prove to myself that a certain lure worked.

On some days I did not catch anything on certain lures although I was right in the thick of it.

for those not fans of the heavy metal movie, the mortal sacrifice of the virgin relates gaining the support of the gods for your own purposes, which is always handy.

There is always a hot lure. The problem is that it changes. Other than the few standard white glow hottchie and green splatterback hootchie, and a cop car/army truck/green and glow spoon, the favourites change.

My problem is that the hot location/hot lure is usually a day late unless you are on the water that day getting the report from your fishing buddies. If you get your news online, from work/friends/ the paper, then it's generally too late.

You must get out there when it is hot, preferrably with the right lure, but if there are some schools around, they compete for the feed, so they are less picky about colur. Be on top of the fish and trigger the bite with speed changes, by killing the motor for a few seconds or turning sharply.

I am a lure ***** as well, but thats mostly entertainment. I don't think I have ever come across any holy grail lures.

I have always liked fishing a large spoon offshore when the big ones are running. The last two summers I have been fishing 6.5 Silver Horde Canadian spoons in Irish Cream and a chrome/blue with a pink stripe and black dots. Sometimes they want something small however. Whatever works.

Match the hatch and lure to the fish you are trying to catch in the location you are fishing.
No point spending 8-11 dollars on a Spoon you are not going to fish or simply not the best choice for the area you are in.

Commercial size spoons don't tow well behind flashers if at all and if you're flying past a mass of decent fish and hook one, just one, you'll be well off the mark when you land and go back for another pass in open water.

Commercial lures serve a totally different need than sport tackle...while effective, there are better choices sometimes. An Irish Cream on the ECVI in the mid to lower Strait is awesome. It has replaced the Luhr. Jensen Green Glow coyote 4.0 as the go to lure. WCVI and Charlottes in cold and clear water a commercial spoon for medium large and large Chinooks can be the ticket. However, during commercial openings in recent springs cop car painted spoons in sport size have been slamming them. Mixing Sport tackle and Commercial Spoons at sport speeds is a sometimes unfair comparison depending on conditions. Speed is Key.
When in Rome...as the saying goes, adapt to the situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
The big Wonder spoons fished in the Alberni Inlet years back were all fished dead slow by the oldtimers.

Not all commercial spoons are the same gauge ....some are lighter metal than others.

regardless of the gauge used......it is more about the way the spoon is pressed/designed than about gauge.

I can show you commy spoons that work at exactly the same speed as sport spoons.

Hook facing up, or down? Just got some 3 1/2 inche spoons the other day, and
the hooks were facing down. Want to change out the hooks to a better hook, so
leave them facing down or put them on facing up! ......BB

The point of the hook should face the dished part of the spoon...

X2 on that and if there is a small spinner it should lie along the spine of the hook not in the J part. Something to look for when changing out your hooks. Some guys discard the spinner blades-personal preference-I like them but it is a hard thing to develop tangible proof whether they improve things or not.

The big Wonder spoons fished in the Alberni Inlet years back were all fished dead slow by the oldtimers.

Not all commercial spoons are the same gauge ....some are lighter metal than others.

regardless of the gauge used......it is more about the way the spoon is pressed/designed than about gauge.

I can show you commy spoons that work at exactly the same speed as sport spoons.

True and Agreed. I have some of those. I rarely mix the gear up though.

Where I have done most of my fishing in recent years it's all gear or all bait. I rarely mix and match spoons and hoochies. If I'm on plugs, it's all plugs. Hoochies, then all hoochies. Spoons, then all spoons. I will however, fish a Hoochie on a short leader next to bait as a "let me just see what happens" if I am not sure what bait are around. Seems that I find I am able to pull more fish for my clients when all the gear is productive.

Anyways, The only clients I will have this year will be friends and family...so I may just change things up a little.

Funny how things change over the years and for different reasons. 40 or so years ago if we fished plugs- it was all plugs, fast and nothing else. Certainly some lures or baits have speed restrictions built in-ie-anchovy has a finite speed -go too fast and the bait stands a good chance of being destroyed. Spoons and plugs can usually be fished fastest of all. Hootchys- seem to be in-between. I am always forced to fish dissimilar baits because I am usually testing lures of one type or another which requires they be tested against a known quantity. The known quantity I prefer is anchovy-this leaves me quite often fishing plugs, hootchys and spoons on the other side of the boat. I am amazed at how often these other lures produce contrary to old preconceived notions.
Getting away from the testing scenario- I like to have different lures down- see what they are going to take. While it is my boat-I often have guest fishermen onboard who have their own tackle and ideas. If they want to use a cop car spoon and fish at 120ft and I am using an LED hootchy at 200- so be it!!- either he will be switching or I will depending on what's happening or maybe as so often happens we are both satisfied with out production and nobody changes.

I just put my lure -particularly plugs beside the boat and look at the action for the trolling speed I have for the other lures. If it looks good-I fish it!!! I don't subscribe to the wounded buffalo theory-anyway isn't that a tooner theory LOL

Back