Coho Fishing Tactics off Bowen

Marley

Hi Guys

This is the first year I have a boat capable of making it to the south of Bowen and the Hump.

Looking to target Coho when the start showing up, maybe take my fist trip next weekend.

From what I understand they run shallow and like a lot of flash. I am planning to run dummy flashers and double stack 65/45 on one side and 55/35 on the other. Running smaller spoons and maybe some hoochies.

I also understand they like a faster troll than I use for chinook.

I am also not sure where to start looking. Is Tunstall a good place to start or should I be further out?

Any thought or advice on the setup?

Thanks

Hi Guys

This is the first year I have a boat capable of making it to the south of Bowen and the Hump.

Looking to target Coho when the start showing up, maybe take my fist trip next weekend.

From what I understand they run shallow and like a lot of flash. I am planning to run dummy flashers and double stack 65/45 on one side and 55/35 on the other. Running smaller spoons and maybe some hoochies.

I also understand they like a faster troll than I use for chinook.

I am also not sure where to start looking. Is Tunstall a good place to start or should I be further out?

Any thought or advice on the setup?

Thanks
Shorter leaders and faster speeds

Watermelon Apex 4"

apex-trolling-lure-watermelon-4--c85f9bdd-eaa6-4000-8569-e162a9f97e43.png

All I would add is maybe drop the dummies if you are stacking rods. Blow back will be rough going at 2.5knts, and that’ll be a lot to manage. Be a bit different game than sockeye trolling at slow speeds.

White UV hootchies short leaders, nickel spoons, bright flashers and cover water. Work in tight, chase the tide seams off shore, follow the contours until you find where the schools are that day.

All I would add is maybe drop the dummies if you are stacking rods. Blow back will be rough going at 2.5knts, and that’ll be a lot to manage. Be a bit different game than sockeye trolling at slow speeds.

White UV hootchies short leaders, nickel spoons, bright flashers and cover water. Work in tight, chase the tide seams off shore, follow the contours until you find where the schools are that day.
Dropping the dummies is a good point. Thanks for the advice.

and i would also add drop two rods unless you’re really good at stacking. if not you’re gonna end up super frustrated, throw them overboard, sell your boat, swear off fishing for life, move to saskatchewan and take up goat farming
Double stacking is a challenge. We had practice off the mouth of the Fraser last year so got reasonably proficient. Did have some epic screw ups fish wrapped around the rigger etc but it was fun. Now when we double stack we plan on having three people. One at the helm and one on each riggger. I spent 10 years in Northern Sask good fishing but to cold lol.

wow i was just being silly and there you are from Sask! yah that sounds like you have it dialed. one dude stays at the helm and the other two are each responsible for their rigger. let us know how you make out! right lines

Well I’m not as skilled as RC and I always tangle when stacking, but my old boss taught me the 3-rigger method. As long as you have the long booms on the side & fully extended, you can have a 3rd downrigger out the back. Run a 10-12lb ball so it drags further back (15-18’s on the sides) and make sure it’s the highest rod. Pull the 3rd one up for the turns, let it drag on the surface and then back down. Works great. Don’t do it much but I’ve never had a tangle

I would forget the stackers. If you want to run 4 rods just buy number 1 or Mag dipseys. They have a directional plate on them with a weight so they pull off to the side. With only 4 lines in the water you'll never have tangling issues if you run them at a 2 or 3 setting (as long as you have the settings set correctly for the applicable side of the boat. Just make sure you run the dipseys as your high line and downriggers as your deeper lines. Run your dispeys to the sides and further towards the bow from the downriggers.

Size 1 dipseys can easily reach a depth of 50 feet on a 3 setting and Mags can get deeper. Dipseys out fish riggers on my boat 5 to 1. They love the action. I would run line counter reels on your dipsey rods so you know exactly how much line is out, so you can duplicate that if it gets hit. You'll also need a longer rod with good backbone because they pull real hard. Run them with the rod tip near the waters edge. Try running some Brads super cut plugs. On every body of water I've fished, Coho's will hit them.

I mainly fish the great lakes but I've fished in California, Oregon, and Washington. You can use great lakes techniques on the ocean. You won't have tangle issues. Dipseys on a 3 setting 50 feet down will be a solid 50 feet to the side of the boat. The key is running a V pattern where your lines on the outside and towards the bow are the shallowest and your deepest lines on the inside and towards the back. Once you run dipseys, you'll never think about stacking again

Back