This the "Year Of The Spoon"?

Seafever

Never seen so many post where guys are using spoons this year.......

No "mystery" hoochies, no "killer' hoochies....no "what hoochy should I use" posts......well.....almost none.

Spoons it is ?.........:p

No single lure ever does it all..........

that said:-

Spoons:-

Irish Crème Silver Horde in smallest up to 4 inch.

Cop Cars ...in several manufacterers and also smallest up to 4 inch......and in Glow and Non-Glow.

I made a green white (both sides) spoon in 2 inch that worked well a while back.

Bought one called a "Kelly Magee" (custom spoon made for them) from Harb Chan that's supposed to be smokin' hot...but then ...what isn't......

Hoochies (where I fish):-

regular green Splatterback

needlefish green Splatterback

regular Black/glow bottom Cop Car

Flashers:-

Green,Cracked Ice/Glow

Green/Chartreuse with green UV body

Green Haze with blue UV body.

O'ki Mystic Green

Super Gold Betsy.

I don't usually fish bait.....but I might this year...if so

Super Gold Betsy flasher with:-

(1) Purple Haze head
(2) UV head with a neon green stripe on it
(3) Bloody nose
(4) UV with green scale on it
(5) Green/Glow

Then later on I'll pm Kelly and ask him what he's using.......:rolleyes:......

(btw.......I try all kinds of stuff...with varying results......but stuff mentioned above always seems to work for me if I'm in a pinch.......yep, I know it's the same old same old....but the same old same old keeps on working. Might use different things as it gets later in the summer......)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoochies work just great too...hoochies are a little more fussy and therefore fewer people fish them....

Last 2 years out off nanaimo the army truck hoochie has been far and away my number one producer. This year the Irish creme spoon is getting about 75% of the action for whatever reason.

I love metal and run them lot's. It's nothing new. Look at the commercial gear. Father in law was a commy at one point in his life. Lot's of friends fathers were commies. They all ran metal.

Movie-Poster-Heavy-Metal_288x288.jpg

yes.....but always made me wonder about the infamous "commy" spoons......

Never heard a bad word about commy spoons...........they are the commy's bread and butter I'm told.

But yet........I would bet that the average sporty has maybe 2 or 3 commy spoons in the tackle box.......that are never fished. They were procured from Grand-dad...and are taken out and looked at from time to time.

If commy spoons are that good....then why are people buying every other spoon but those?

I've been to PNT countless times for example.....and no-one ever goes to the commy spoon section and pick out a few and plunk them on the counter.

You will see them plunk TKO's, Silver Hordes, Coho-killers, hoochys and Coyotes on the counter...but never commy spoons.

You see the odd post here where a guy will fish one.........the other 99% of spoons posts they are fishing something else.

Now they know, I know, and you know that we should be buying commy spoons......because commies use them and they work...

So why do we punish and deny ourselves by buying something else?

and what ones do you buy?................

Of all the times I've been in PNT...no staff member there has ever suggested I buy a commy spoon when I ask them what's 'hot" these days...

And when I ask them what they use......they have never gone over to the commy spoon rack and said ''One of these".....

YA.... exactly... might have to change your name to Secret assassin .....give up the goods..at least with one spoon...

5.5 Chrome Clendon Stewart with a 8/0 or 9/0 hook.

Bingo. Two points for Owen lol! I have a ***** load of them but profess that i never fish em :(. I'm going to shine up my Clendon Stewarts now.

You have a point seafever but really they all catch fish man:cool:.

Tried those Clendon Stewart spoons in different sizes throughout the years.....never caught jack crap on them....

Tried the famous Wonder Spoon in the upper Alberni Inlet numbers of times in late August.....never caught anything on those either.

Tried Alaskan metal plugs in the Inlet too.....not a sniff.

I use spoons and hootchies all the time in summer, mixing it up with anchovies. Last year gained a lot of confidence using them it upped my catching a lot...

One spoon the surprised me last year was the blueberry muffin... The top for me with all my big springs last year that out fished the most with the 4.0 cop car/glow... I don't know why that as such a hot item...

Back