This the "Year Of The Spoon"?

hy guys just curious about leader lengths for the georgia straight using spoons i.e. irish cream kitchen sink etc .Im somewhere in the neighbourhood of 5 ft just seeing what other peoples preferences are thanks in advance..

Tight lines
Billydoo

hy guys just curious about leader lengths for the georgia straight using spoons i.e. irish cream kitchen sink etc .Im somewhere in the neighbourhood of 5 ft just seeing what other peoples preferences are thanks in advance..

oh ya I forgot to ask about speed how fast do you guys like to troll with what leader length…

Tight lines
Billydoo

normally 56 inches to 60 inches for me.....anywhere from 1.4 mph to 3 mph.

There are some here who fish way shorter tho'.........seen 27 inches and even 21 inches at times.....

Short doesn't work for me........but hey,whatever works is what works.....

Try a short leader on one side and a long leader on the other side..see what happens.....

Last edited by a moderator:

oh ya I forgot to ask about speed how fast do you guys like to troll with what leader length…

Tight lines
Billydoo

1.8 knots on the slow side, 3.0 knots on the high side depending on what spoon I am towing. Using sport spoons, 2.3 knots usually for me.

Depending on what boat I am fishing on...with flashers... always 5 feet, normally 6 feet and sometimes 6.5 feet when trolling fast.

yjejujav.jpg

ok...I'll try the TKO KitchenSink again next time out.

I ran a different brand KitchenSink this last trip out....Nada

I've never caught anything on other brands of KitchenSink.........but I have a TKO in the box and it better work cuz you said so.....:cool:

First time on the forum. So go easy on me lol....
I was out Wednesday and managed 7 fish on the old Grand Slam Bucktails. Only 1 little coho on a lure. Catch ratio was low as I had a newbie learning how to use a mooching reel....Finally landed a few. Some bruised knuckles, and good memories.
We kept the bucktail on one side and I tried everything else on the other. I finally, reluctantly, switched over to a Grand Slam, 10 minutes later, another spring.
Just thought I would share this. Sorry no brag photos....<")))><

Thanks fm and seafarer for your responses I'll try a few different lengths and speeds thanks again !! Good luck rest of the season !!!

Tight lines
Billydoo

Someday:-

care to share color, size, leader length and what flasher those GrandSlams were behind?

FA.....you use just the bigger TKO KitchenSink?.....or does the smaller one work as well...........

Last edited by a moderator:
I clicked on the site...but it shows photos only....

Is that guy still making those?

They used to sell them on ECVI years back (Campbell River).....and then I couldn't find them any more..I thought he went out of business.......

he also used to make a pretty good jigging lure as well....

I never used my Riptide needle much at the time because we were in the "pre-needlefish" era.......

I suppose I'll have to give my TKO KS another go... Everyone spoke of good things about those spoons, they haven't done jack all for me vs the Gold Standard Irish C!

I don't think they glow either, do they? Always a bit weary of putting one down that isn't glow unless it's a clear day with clear water...

Hey FA.....you hang up your fishing tackle in the bedroom and look at it before you go to sleep?.......:)

There's no way around it...you're addicted........:p

Back