Tested/Testng New Tackle

Last year Olympic Tackle said they were sending me some chubby chovies to try out. I expected a few sample . To my surprise their meaning of a few is not the same as mine.
Another members success photo

Attachments

• 1979222_orig.jpg
    1979222_orig.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 206
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 196
  • Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 10.35.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 10.35.24 AM.png
    1,000.5 KB · Views: 188
Last year Olympic Tackle said they were sending me some chubby chovies to try out. I expected a few sample . To my surprise their meaning of a few is not the same as mine.
Another members success photo

Wow those look great.

P3010004.jpg P3010003.JPG Last year Amundson Outdoors Tackle sent me the
SAVVY SUMO LIEUTENANT MOOCHING RODP3010003.JPG P3010004.jpg
and the TMX5 - TREND X5 MOOCHING REEL

No longer have to pay extreme dollar for high end tackle. With modern day technology Machined aerospace aluminium frame, spool and reel seat creates these beautiful high function reels.

Last edited:
Nice looking reel how was it for drag creep?
Curious how well the anodizing will hold up to the salt, haven't found anything even close to the USA made reels for corrosion protection.

I like the carbon butt on the rod however for the life of me I don't understand why MFGs put a downlocking reel seat on a mooching rod o_O

Curious how well the anodizing will hold up to the salt, haven't found anything even close to the USA made reels for corrosion protection.

I like the carbon butt on the rod however for the life of me I don't understand why MFGs put a downlocking reel seat on a mooching rod o_O

X2 Sr SQ ... why are downlocking reel seats put on any rods?

I now have two of them and so far no issues. I do though look after them to a point where I will rinse them in fresh water. I think one of the biggest mistakes is putting a reel in a case and it still has moisture. We could not find any creep during use and that is due to its 7 layers of nano carbon fibre drag system.

As for the down locking reel seat . I don't know I just test them out. What is the issue?

TMX5-banner.jpg

come on guys why the reel seat is that way......lol

go back and look at the pic if its sat in a tube rod holder that is the area where all the wear takes place
vast amount of boom rod holders still out there, hence the direction of the reel seat .
thats all so why the rear carbon section works so well
as cork or eva does get beat up in rod/tube holders over time ...

see pic of scotty holders and where the pressure is on the rod in the tube

IMG_20150509_111441.jpg

Last edited:
come on guys why the reel seat is that way......lol

go back and look at the pic if its sat in a tube rod holder that is the area where all the wear takes place
vast amount of boom rod holders still out there, hence the direction of the reel seat .
thats all so why the rear carbon section works so well
as cork or eva does get beat up in rod/tube holders over time ...

see pic of scotty holders and where the pressure is on the rod in the tube

IMG_20150509_111441.jpg
Thanks that makes allot of sense I also thought your hand pressure is above the seat so when fighting there is allot of downward pressure and if the locking system failed the reel seat could open.

I can speak the the line creep on this reel...there is none! I believe that it is the best quality/price option on the market. I can't speak to the anodizing as I only have one season under my belt, but let me tell you, I love it...I've asked for a black with gold scales for Christmas to go with my blue/silver scales :)

Good to hear about the drag it looks like they got it right

Down locking seats = your hands in the threads of the reel seat not a nice formed comfortable grip.

Only inferior quality seats come loose.......

In 2013 I was given a huge amount of prototype CJ Special Salmon Lures. The needle fish and the small herring worked the best that year. I find the best trolling speed was between 2-3 mph. The large needles I used with a dummy flasher and the smaller needles was used with a flasher. The small herring was used as a casting lure off the beaches and worked out well for springs.

Attachments

• P2140009.JPG
    P2140009.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 120
  • P2140004.JPG
    P2140004.JPG
    296.1 KB · Views: 109
  • P2140002.JPG
    P2140002.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 113
  • P5210002.JPG
    P5210002.JPG
    401.5 KB · Views: 117
  • P2140008.JPG
    P2140008.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 109
  • P2040001_2_2.jpg
    P2040001_2_2.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 117
  • P9130003.JPG
    P9130003.JPG
    445.7 KB · Views: 111
  • P9130004.JPG
    P9130004.JPG
    566.4 KB · Views: 113
I started using pesca spoons this year. The glow paint is second to none. These ones here are exclusive to searun fly and tackle, the "west coast express ". I have yet to try these but I did hook some nice fish this year on the "gut bomb". Pic was taken in my living room around 2pm with lights on lol

Attachments

• IMG_0177.JPG
    IMG_0177.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 150
I started using pesca spoons this year. The glow paint is second to none. These ones here are exclusive to searun fly and tackle, the "west coast express ". I have yet to try these but I did hook some nice fish this year on the "gut bomb". Pic was taken in my living room around 2pm with lights on lol
WOW on the glow.... That should attract some of the big boys.

AS AP Tackleworks prostaff / field tester I am receiving a large assortment for 2017 to use this early spring. Sponsored by AP Tackleworks the fun challenge to my friends is to out fish them. If I out fish them they get the lure. If they out fish me I buy the beer. I love fun competition...... e-mail me if your game doliveiragil@telus.net . It has to be Tuesdays or Wednesdays.

As for the fall new colour, pattern will be an addition to the prototype casting versions for the fall beach fishing.

Attachments

• 1447967684294.png
    1447967684294.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5506.jpg.png
    IMG_5506.jpg.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5504.jpg.png
    IMG_5504.jpg.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 1479078428861.jpeg
    1479078428861.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Ive used the TMX5's for the past season and theyve never let me down. By far the best drag Ive had the pleasure of using. No line creep at all when fishing down deep with only minor adjustments to the drag required. When fishing shallow, you dont have to adjust the drag at all after setting your gear. Makes it super easy to run gear on your own when you can just set the drag and forget about it for the rest of the day. Cant exactly speak to their durability because Ive only been using them for one season but so far I havent had a single issue.

The only complaint Ive heard (from friends/family using my reels) is that they dont like the round handles as much as paddle handles. I suppose this is an easy fix and I think instructions can even be found buried somewhere in these forums for paddle conversions.

Unlike others here, I had to pay full price for mine:(, so theres no incentive for me to hype up these reels other than Ive had really good experiences with them so far. That said, if any Amundsen reps are reading this and want to slap an Amundson/TMX5 sticker on my shitbox boat... :D

On the topic of machined reels - whats everyones preference in terms of backing/braid/mono? Trotac recommended I use backing with mono, IO suggested just straight mono, and I know braid is another popular option though Im not sure how much I like the idea of a spool full of salt-soaked braid on my fancy reels year-round.

I would use mono for backing as long as the manufacturer recommends its use. If you have any worries about drum deformation using mono you could add a small amount of Dacron attached to the drum first. Although, less knots to join different sections of line is usually the more preferable route when spooling a new reel.

Back