Tested/Testng New Tackle

I fished AP Herring spoons for the first time this year and am sold on them much like the sandlance.

I still fish some of my other favourite gear but the AP spoons will probably get wet almost every time I fish from now on the south coast.

Next year I am planning on try salmon roe sacks. Has anyone tried them before?

Seems like it would work at the cap

Fish them no more than 12" behind your favourite flasher-deadly.

Not to sound dumb.....but you just rig up a roe sack on a hook and troll behind a flasher?

We aren't talking the roe sacks that guys use on the Fraser which are made of nylons are we? o_O

If you were anchored in the current and had a spin n glow in front of it, it might work. Of course then you'd probably get rousted for fishing in the closed area.

lol you guys are so funny, In the CAP is open to bait fishing depending on the time of year. Outside the cap where everyone trolls a anchovies on the bottom roe might work very well. Lots of Trout sit at the mouth of creeks and eat roe off the bottom.

Migrating salmon attack salmon roe because they look at it as competition. Feeders would probably ignor it.

calling someone dumb for talking about alternate methods in a thread that is about using alternate techniques is pathetic

I don't no why every thread has to turn into a troll fest.

Late this summer as I was getting desperate I tried putting a spin&glow in front of my hoochie with a bead between them, an older gentelman swore by it and I did get a couple on it but the fishing just wasn't consistent enough to know if it was better or not

Attachments

• IMG_0657.JPG
    IMG_0657.JPG
    447 KB · Views: 141
Late this summer as I was getting desperate I tried putting a spin&glow in front of my hoochie with a bead between them, an older gentelman swore by it and I did get a couple on it but the fishing just wasn't consistent enough to know if it was better or not

I have used that set-up-particularly for coho near river mouths-late august and done very well-the spin and glow was one size smaller than you show.

Size 8 spin n glow in front of the Michael Bait hoochies worked quite well up in Campbell River on the Chums. It's a fairly well known setup, and I'd say it was my most consistent rig up there.

lol you guys are so funny, In the CAP is open to bait fishing depending on the time of year. Outside the cap where everyone trolls a anchovies on the bottom roe might work very well. Lots of Trout sit at the mouth of creeks and eat roe off the bottom.

Migrating salmon attack salmon roe because they look at it as competition. Feeders would probably ignor it.

calling someone dumb for talking about alternate methods in a thread that is about using alternate techniques is pathetic

I don't no why every thread has to turn into a troll fest.

Hey Wildman......I didn't mean any ill will. :cool:

I assume you are talking about fishing from shore with respect to using roe? I was just confused as to how/what you were referring to.

Like The Big Guy said earlier, at times I threw everything and dug deep in the tackle box. I found set ups that worked around Kitty Coleman and stuck with them and I tried a lot of different things, spoons, plugs, Apex hockey stick's, hootchies, everything but bait (because of dog fish, but they weren't around as much either).

One of the combos that seemed the most consistent was just this. Putting a spin-n-glow in front of a small bead with a P-Line 4.5" splatter back hootchie (SQ1113) with a mylar skirt insert. I found the spin-n-glow produced better than the exact same set up without a spin-n-glow.

Towing behind a O'ki Big Shooter flasher, black blade, Ice glow UV tape. This was by far my most consistent producer this year, for both springs and coho.

Another fairly consistent producing change up was a 5" 602 glow Tomic plug. Caught my biggest fish on this this year.

Apex Hot Spot lures were good but for some reason caught mostly shakers. #131, purple haze.

My best change up this year was going with braided main line and a 40' mono leader. I found I lost less fish over all, felt every head shake and a lot of rod action, plus the benefit of being down 200' and seeing every rod tip dip, even with tiny little jacks and not dragging a fish around for half an hour.

Spoons this year I found didn't produce much action at all.

IMG_2314.JPG IMG_1953.JPG

Tried the King Kandy and modified brads cut plugs out today. No love for either of them. Put new line exit holes on the brads to change the speed of the roll as well as rigged both with 4/0 single siwash hooks crimped on to a bead chain swivel on 50 lb test leader. Lost the extra hook on both as I only like to run a single siwash hook on my salmon gear for ease of releasing fish.

Also I learnt a new way to remove the tape residue off Flashers that have lost there tape. I used to use gum out, or WD40 to strip off the leftover glue and tape film. A thought occurred to me as I had run out of WD40 (oil based product) , why not simply try vegetable oil to remove the nasty glue residue off the Flashers. So, I tried it and I still needed to used a lot of elbow grease, but it worked just as well as any other methods I'd tried before. Cheap and usually always on hand. So from now on I'll simply be using cooking oil to remove the tape residue from Flashers that the tape has started to peel off of.

Last edited:
https://www.nationalprostaff.com/r52456-beach-fishing-journal-october-2--2016
October 2
First day of the holidays and the hunt begins. What is unusual is that I am testing the AP Tackleworks only prototype herring casting lure. Only one of its kind so hoping I don't lose it.

The day begins with a mixture of drizzle to heavy rain. The water surface was calm. No wind, no rollers. We could have not asked for better conditions. After the 7th beach we thought we were out of luck. Once on the 8th beach Randy was using binoculars and thought he saw a salmon jump a long distance. So we concentrated looking at that zone and sure enough another showed and then another. It was a long walk but would be best for the day.

When we approach our goal they were jumping and finning. I made first cast with the AP Tackle herring and bam I was so surprised . After the fourth Coho I new we had something special here. The surprise was the first four coho caught were hatcheries . We only kept one .

Randy continued to use the Olympic Tackle Squid spinners with success to.

The sad part was they hung around only for 1 1/2 hours and they were gone. Traveling back home we tried looking at the other 7 beaches we previously explored with no luck..

The exciting part is the AP anchovy and the AP Sandlance prototype will be ready next season.

PA020005.JPG

I threw out an old radiant penut butter hoochie at the bamfield wall when our hot spoon stopped producing and it hit some fish. that's about all the experimental lures I used this year

I'm not sure the crazy 8 heads are still being sold anymore.
I was at Wise Buy's in Colwood on Sunday and saw a few packs for sale. I asked the man behind the counter about Winter Springs recommendation and he pointed me towards the Durabait Glow/Bloody Nose needlefish saying it was "dynamite" for a few guys last year. Who am I to argue? ;) So that's my experimenting this winter.

Back